Stephen Sprouse was known for his
edgy, androgynous, punk-rock looks and designed for artists including Duran
Duran and Blondie. The archive of Stephen Sprouse at the Indianapolis Museum of
Art at Newfield’s contains Polaroids and color 35 mm slides, which show studio
models and runway shots, and include handwritten notes for each design. They
were stored in degraded polyvinyl chloride sleeves which were causing damage to
the contents. Participants rehoused six binders worth of material, and created
a condition database for the institution to use for further research.
bound album from the Whim Museum, St. Croix Landmarks Society contains
photographs from the late nineteenth and early twentieth century (1884-1900).
It is part of a collection of four albums donated to the Whim Museum by members
of the Bartrum family, who were co-owners of a shipping company in the West
Indies. The family did business throughout Central and South America and the
Caribbean, and the photographic album includes albumen and silver gelatin developing-out
prints (DOP) and printing-out prints (POP) photographs from these locations. The
photographs in the album presented different challenges and were cleaned in-situ.
A uniquely engineered collapsible cradle was designed and built for safe
viewing and display. In partnership with CCAHA, the album will be digitized
this summer in hopes of continued research.
B. Jefferson (ca. 1882-1971), was a graduate of Fisk University, a historically black university in Nashville, Tennessee. Miss Jefferson served the institution for
forty-nine years as Matron of the Dining Hall and Dean of Women and was an
active member of the Fisk University community. The photo archive documents an
African American family, their friends, and life at Fisk University. In
addition to professional studio portraits, a majority of the collection is
gelatin silver developed-out prints taken by an amateur photographer, likely
Ms. Jefferson herself. The staggering 922 items in this collection, including
albums and framed objects, were cleaned, organized, and rehoused.
La Casa del Boxeador is a
nonprofit organization founded in 1969 by former Puerto Rican champion boxers
Sixto Escobar, the first Puerto Rican undisputed world boxing champion, and
Pedro Montañez. The organization serves as a place for the boxing community to
gather socially and receive many services, including financial management,
health, housing, mental health, and English language skills. Part of the
mission of La Casa del Boxeador is to develop the Historical Archive of
Puerto Rican Boxing with its collection of memorabilia to preserve and promote
boxing heritage. The collection of photographs, including silver gelatin DOPs, chromogenic prints, and
digital prints from La Casa del Boxeador, visually exemplifies the rich
history of the organization and its engagement with the community and athletes.
The photographs document social gatherings, award ceremonies, training, and
matches; many have inscriptions identifying the people, places, dates, and
locations. The photographs are a small part of an extensive collection and were
cleaned, rehoused, and placed in
archival boxes for easy storage and access.
The Class of 2022 is grateful to all
of the institutions who allowed us to treat their collections. We also send our wishes to our
colleagues and friends at La Casa del Boxeador and the rest of Puerto
Rico, who are recovering from the recent earthquakes that devastated the
First-Year Conservation Fellow
WUDPAC Class of 2022