Toggle Navigation

Open the Navigation Management window, which can be used to view the full current branch of the menu tree, and edit it.

CONNECT
InstagramFacebook

MITRA Forum Question Details

Image Picker for Section 0
Move Down

Move this whole section down, swapping places with the section below it.

Code Cleaner

Check for and fix problems in the body text. Text pasted in from other sources may contain malformed HTML which the code cleaner will remove.

Accordion is OFF

Accordion feature turned off, click to turn on.

Accordion is ON

Accordion featurd turned on, click to turn off.

Image Rendition

Change the way the image is cropped for this page layout.

Media Size

Cycle through size options for this image or video.

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Align the media panel to the right/left in this section.

Insert Image

Open the image pane in this body section. Click in the image pane to select an image from the image library.

Insert Video

Open the video pane in this body section. Click in the video pane to embed a video. Click ? for step-by-step instructions.

Remove Image

Remove the image from the media panel. This does not delete the image from the library.

Remove Video

Remove the video from the media panel.

​​​​​​​​​​​

Fat over lean in article on Natural pigmentsApproveRejectUn-ApproveSubscribeUn-Unsubscribe

Question asked 2021-04-21 09:16:19 ... Most recent comment 2024-01-12 01:27:36
Drying Oils Oil Paint Pigments

There is an article at naturalpigments.com by George O'Hanlon called „Painting for Posterity with Modern Oil Paints", about some aspects of oil painting. I'm posting a question about it here, because „Forum" section at naturalpigments.com hasn't been functioning for some time (or it seems that way - not possible to start a new topic) and also because George sometimes posts also here. I'd like to know his opinion – but of course everyone is welcomed to share their knowledge and experience.

Quoting from the article:

Fat-Over-Lean Rule

You are probably familiar with the fat-over-lean rule. What the fat-over-lean rule implies is flexible over less flexible paint layers. When you apply a more flexible layer on top of another, the final paint film will be more resilient and more resistant to cracking. Increasing flexibility is accomplished by adding more medium or oil, or lowering the pigment volume concentration of the paint with each succeeding paint layer.

However, this is typically difficult to achieve in practice. Most artists don't understand what constitutes fat or what is lean. It is impractical to measure the ratio of pigment and binder while painting. What I will tell you next may sound like heresy but you do not need the follow this rule if you use paint at its CPVC, which is applying paint straight from the tube, and paint thinly. On the other hand, working in thick paint layers and/or with lots of medium or oil added to paint requires one to observe the fat-over-lean rule.

I visit mitra forums from time to time and there already has been discussion about fat over lean, and so far, the conclusion was, that in fact every paint is formulated to be lean out of tube (i.e. made with just neccesary amount of oil, at CPVC or so).

The statement of my interest is : „(…) you do not need the follow this rule if you use paint at its CPVC, which is applying paint straight from the tube, and paint thinly." It is not clear, George was reffering to Rublev colors or any oil paint in general. And that makes me wonder; whether he meant paints based on various pigments in same oil, or in various oils as well.

You see, there are manufacturers like Williamsburg, Gamblin, Michael Harding and of course Natural pigments, who use linseed oil as a default binder for their entire line of oil paints and they also offer some pigments ground also in other oils like walnut or safflower. If one wants to use only linseed oil based paints, it is possible with these brands. But on the other hand there are many manufacturers who use different oils or oil blends for different types of pigments. One example I can mention is Blockx; they use linseed oil for iron oxides, natural earths, blacks and few other pigments (e.g. PY53, PY154, PY184) or blends (e.g. Paynes Gray, Indigo) and poppy oil for everything else, i.e. blues (organic and inorganic pigments), cadmiums, cobalts, organic reds, oranges and of course whites.

Now, let's say one wants to use Blockx oil paints to create grisaille underpainting using chromatic black (e.g. burnt umber and ultramarine) and flake (lead) white and then lay a glaze over it with transparent mars yellow and the painting will be done according to what George wrote, i.e. applying paint straight from the tube, and paint thinly.

Ultramarine and Flake white are in poppy oil, burnt umber is in linseed oil. Seems to me, that burnt umber is stronger than ultramarine, so more ultramarine will be necessary. Then, as grisaille needs to be bit lighter than a final painting would be in grayscale, relatively large proportion of white will be necessary; of course it can vary depending on particular part of painting, but my point is – this will result in paint layer consisting mostly from poppy oil as a binder. Let's say it'll be left to dry and cure for two weeks, and then the glaze based on Transparent mars yellow will follow; in case of this color, linseed oil i sused as a binder.

Therefore, it will be a paint layer with pure linseed oil as a binder over a paint layer with mostly poppy oil as a binder; is this alright? According to what I know and read so far, I'd say - not really... as oils like poppy and safflower should not be used in lower layers, because they form weaker layer. And yet, so far I haven't read any article or blog post about paint layers cracking in such situations.

I wonder, if it is really a problem, when one uses „weaker" oil like poppy underneath „stronger" oil like linseed. Whether it is only about oil, or also about pigment; lead white is known to make strong and flexible paint layer; is it possible that lead white in poppy oil will still dry into paint layer as strong as some other pigments in linseed oil?

What do you think about it?

Move Up

Move this whole section up, swapping places with the section above it.

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Check for and fix problems in the body text. Text pasted in from other sources may contain malformed HTML which the code cleaner will remove.

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Open the image pane in this body section. Click in the image pane to select an image from the image library.

Insert Video

Open the video pane in this body section. Click in the video pane to embed a video. Click ? for step-by-step instructions.

Remove Image

Remove the image from the media panel. This does not delete the image from the library.

Remove Video

EditDelete

Moderator Answer (george o'hanlon)

[2021-04-21 19:13:58]

Interestingly, I just completed a live event on the Painting Best Practices website entitled Fat Over Lean—A Better Interpretation. In the discussion, I provided the two basic parameters commonly associated with the fat over lean principle: flexible over less flexible paint layers and slower drying over faster drying layers.

Instead of providing the usual explanation of fat and lean paint, I provided a different way of looking at paint—pigment volume concentration or PVC. This was also discussed in the article you read. Pigment volume concentration is a tool that is more effective in managing “flexible over less flexible” in the fat over lean rule.

You raised an interesting point because while pigment volume concentration provides a better method to manage the fat over lean rule, it does not address the drying issue directly. However, it does indirectly, mainly because by minimizing the oil/binder of paint layers (and subsequently maintaining pigment concentration), you also hasten drying of oil paint allowed by the constituent pigments. Nevertheless, the type of oil may effects this scheme.

I understand why artists’ materials manufacturers use slower drying oils, such as safflower, poppy or walnut oil in their paint. This is usually driven by marketing. But making every color in their line with these oils does not make sense from the point of constructing a sound painting. Placing slower drying oil paint in the underlayers of a painting is not the best practice. However, much of this can likely be mitigated by allowing the layers to dry to a hard surface as in the ASTM standard of “hard dry”.​

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2023-03-04 12:42:31]

I donot agree when people say if painting straight from tube will no need observation of fat over lean, unless referes to alla prima.

​my point is besides judging which paint is fatter or leaner (depend on their PVC), you had to see which dries faster or slower (assumed all in same oil binder) and there are many outliers that has very low PVC while dries very fast. 

i donot really see any manufacture really help to understand this, but there are many colors, for instance some earth color has clay that absorbs more oil but dries very fast, Phathlo is another example, as well as the small pigment size transparent iron oxide group. 

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2024-01-12 01:17:57]

I am not an expert. However, there are a few observations I have that may be helpful:

1) Different tiers of paint quality don't necessarily mean a different texture to the paint (short/stiff). My understanding is that a certain amount of alumina stearate (the most common stabilizing additive for tubed oil paint) creates a short/stiff texture and adding more doesn't dramatically change the texture but it does enable more oil to be added (rather than pigment). Therefore, lower-priced brands can reach a lower price point by having more oil and less pigment by binding that oil with stabilizer (or with filler like blanc fixe which can be a cheap transparent "pigment").

2) Organic pigments typically require more oil so it's not just a question of which oil is used to grind a particular pigment. Some pigments require more oil than others. One could find a tube of paint that is ground in safflower oil that has a higher pigment-to-oil ratio than one ground in linseed. The linseed oil paint might have an organic pigment and more filler/stabilizer.

3) Some pigments are more unstable than others, when it comes to cracking. Zinc oxide ground in linseed is going to be more problematic than lead white (PW 1) ground in safflower. Unfortunately, zinc white is sometimes added to paint without it being on the label, as a brightener and to combat yellowing.

4) Linseed's "toughness" and "strength" come from it shrinking less as it cures and also crosslinking more.

5) Some brands that use semi-drying oils add a lot of siccative. This means a paint ground in sunflower oil could dry faster than the same pigment ground in linseed.​

6) Some additives might improve the stability of the lower layers (such as lead white added to a particular colored pigment — as lead white releases lead ions that improve the stability of paint films) regardless of what oil the paint is ground in. Lead white additive won't prevent the problems caused by a higher-shrinkage oil but it could reduce their severity.

— SRS

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2024-01-12 01:27:36]

"Organic pigments typically require more oil so it's not just a question of which oil is used to grind a particular pigment. Some pigments require more oil than others."

Additionally, the fineness of a pigment's particles can make a difference in terms of how much oil is required. A dramatic example is barium sulfate. The natural form (baryte) requires very little oil. By contrast, the synthetic form (blanc fixe) requires quite a lot more.

Therefore, the more synthetic barium sulfate is added to a tube of paint — the more the oil displaces pigment in the pigment-to-oil ratio ... if the colored pigment is one that has low oil absorption. Blanc fixe has a lower oil requirement than some pigments (i.e. organics).

What would be ideal would be a baryte that has no grey cast. Then one would gain the transparentizing filler functionality whilst reducing the saturation loss from the grey cast and the yellowing of the oil which is made more apparent due to the reduction in colored pigment and the transparency of the baryte. I don't know if synthetic barium sulfate can be produced that mimics the low oil absorption of the natural variety. As far as I know, that kind isn't produced industrially. The reason people typically use the synthetic in oil paints is because of its whiter color, I assume. How much that benefit is lost due to its higher oil requirement, though, I can't say.

— SRS

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Page Settings and MetaData:
(Not Shown on the Page)
Page Settings
MITRA
No
MetaData for Search Engine Optimization
MITRA Forum Question Details
restricted