Skip to Main Content
Sign In
Toggle Navigation

Open the Navigation Management window, which can be used to view the full current branch of the menu tree, and edit it.

CONNECT
  • Instagram
  • Facebook

MITRA Forum Question Details

Image Picker for Section 0

ForumQuestion

• Stone or Mineral paper as painting surfaceApproveRejectUn-ApproveSubscribeUn-Unsubscribe
    Question asked 2019-01-09 15:08:44 ... Most recent comment 2019-01-12 15:22:36
    Industrial and Non-Traditional Products
    Question

‚ÄčThe papers in question are made of calcium carbonate with a binder that makes it into a beautiful vellum smooth absorbent surface. I have used this paper with casein paint and casein as underpainting with subsequent alkyd/oil paint layers. I first adhere the unprimed mineral paper to sanded ACM panel using acrylic gel medium or lineco. Since paper is just calcium carbonate with a binder, wonder about the longevity of this paper? papers by Mitz or Yasutomo companies. Acid free. Mineral paper also handles well for acryl gouache.

Answers and Comments
  • EditDeleteModerator Answer

I have no experience with either of these products. I did take a look at their advertisements and it appears that they are a mixture of calcium carbonate and a synthetic resin. Mitz specifically states 25% non-toxic resin. The idea is certainly interesting but longevity would depend on the stability of the resin and long-term flexibility of the sheet. It would also depend on the normal factors of appropriate absorption, etc.

We will send your question to some of our moderators/ contacts in the paper and preventive paper/preventive conservation world.

Brian Baade
    2019-01-09 16:57:15
  • EditDeleteModerator Answer

Here is what I have been able to find out about this product: "Made from 80% calcium carbonate bonded with a small amount of plastic, this paper can be used with watercolors, acrylics, inks, pastels, pencils, markers, and inkjet printers.

Yasutomo Mineral Paper can also be embossed, hot-stamped, varnished, glued, and laminated. Water-resistant with a smooth finish, it still has enough tooth and absorption for all mediums. It will not buckle when used with the wettest mediums."

I have no experience with this "paper" but it it is clearly super-absorbant.  So fingerprints and accumulated dirt and grime will be a problem in the future.  Like any other drawing on a ground... Any uncoated surface needs to be protected.

Margaret Holbein Ellis

2019-01-12 15:22:36
Page Settings and MetaData:
(Not Shown on the Page)
Page Settings
question
No
MetaData for Search Engine Optimization
MITRA Forum Question Details
restricted
This page cannot be accessed until you accept the Terms of Use, which can be found here.
Please note that this Terms of Use system uses cookies. If you have cookies disabled you will not be able to accept the agreement. If you delete our cookies you will need to re-accept the Terms of Use.
  • The Department of Art Conservation
  • 303 Old College
  • University of Delaware
  • Newark, DE 19716, USA
  • Phone: 302-831-3489
  • art-conservation@udel.edu