Skip to Main Content
Sign In
Toggle Navigation

Open the Navigation Management window, which can be used to view the full current branch of the menu tree, and edit it.

CONNECT
  • Instagram
  • Facebook

MITRA Forum Question Details

Image Picker for Section 0

ForumQuestion

• Water Miscible Oil PaintApproveRejectUn-ApproveSubscribeUn-Unsubscribe
    Question asked 2018-12-21 17:24:39 ... Most recent comment 2019-01-01 12:07:54
    Drying Oils Oil Paint Solvents and Thinners
    Question

​I see recomendations for water miscible oil paint for ease of clean up and not using solvents.
    Can you please comment on them from the viewpoint of longevity?

Ron Francis

Answers and Comments
  • EditDeleteModerator Answer

They appear to remain sensitive to water even after dry for a substantial time. However, this could be said of other popular paint mediums as well. I also believe that the additives used to make them initially water miscible can migrate. Again, this is not unique to Water miscible oil paints.

Water miscible oil paints tend to be less fully pigmented than the highest quality ranges and are usually sold as entry-level paints. Therefore, it is probably unfair to compare them to superior oil paints lines that contain no fillers and only the most minimal stabilizers.  

Brian Baade
    2018-12-25 17:34:31
  • ApproveRejectUn-ApproveUser Comment

​Can I assume that a painting done with water miscible paint is more sensitive to water than one done with linseed? (Or poppy, walnut, safflower etc?)

Also, could this make it more hygroscopic and therefore more susceptible to cracking caused by changes atmospheric moisture?

2018-12-28 01:00:20

​For now these assumptions are probably good ones. However more time is still needed (and far more research) in order to confirm these theories regarding WM oil films.

Kristin deGhetaldi
    2018-12-28 14:27:12

​Some of the stabilizers/fillers used in this category of oils are borrowed from the food and cosmetics industries (as revealed in patent applications). I've been curious for a while about the long-term performance of these additives, which are different from stearates.

Matthew Kinsey, Utrecht Art Supplies
    2019-01-01 12:07:54
Page Settings and MetaData:
(Not Shown on the Page)
Page Settings
question
No
MetaData for Search Engine Optimization
MITRA Forum Question Details
restricted
This page cannot be accessed until you accept the Terms of Use, which can be found here.
Please note that this Terms of Use system uses cookies. If you have cookies disabled you will not be able to accept the agreement. If you delete our cookies you will need to re-accept the Terms of Use.
  • The Department of Art Conservation
  • 303 Old College
  • University of Delaware
  • Newark, DE 19716, USA
  • Phone: 302-831-3489
  • art-conservation@udel.edu