Toggle Navigation

Open the Navigation Management window, which can be used to view the full current branch of the menu tree, and edit it.

CONNECT
InstagramFacebook

MITRA Forum Question Details

Image Picker for Section 0
Move Down

Move this whole section down, swapping places with the section below it.

Code Cleaner

Check for and fix problems in the body text. Text pasted in from other sources may contain malformed HTML which the code cleaner will remove.

Accordion is OFF

Accordion feature turned off, click to turn on.

Accordion is ON

Accordion featurd turned on, click to turn off.

Image Rendition

Change the way the image is cropped for this page layout.

Media Size

Cycle through size options for this image or video.

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Align the media panel to the right/left in this section.

Insert Image

Open the image pane in this body section. Click in the image pane to select an image from the image library.

Insert Video

Open the video pane in this body section. Click in the video pane to embed a video. Click ? for step-by-step instructions.

Remove Image

Remove the image from the media panel. This does not delete the image from the library.

Remove Video

Remove the video from the media panel.

​​​​​​​​​​​

Green for Oil Thinner - Non-toxic solvent?ApproveRejectUn-ApproveSubscribeUn-Unsubscribe

Question asked 2018-05-25 11:07:44 ... Most recent comment 2024-02-26 14:08:56
Health and Safety Solvents and Thinners Art Conservation Topics Environment

​Hi all,

There is a recent thread on the WetCanvas forum discussing the relatively new 'non-toxic' solvent produced by Sennelier under their Green for Oil Range:

http://www.sennelier-colors.com/en/Green-for-oil_fiche_9895.html

http://www.sennelier-colors.com/en/Green-for-oil-thinner_fiche_9896.html

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1447854

They claim that it is non-toxic and apart from the warning that it shouldn't be ingested there doesn't appear to be any warnings online about ventilation or toxicity. I was under the impression that all solvents were toxic to some extent, but if a well known brand can market this product and without any warning information then maybe it is non-toxic?

There is speculation on the WetCanvas thread that due to it's more oil like feel and very slow evaporation rate that it is likely a 'biodiesel' - a methyl ester of fatty acids. I am not a chemist but if I understand the science correctly: 

"Biodiesel is produced from linsed oil through a procescaled transesterifcation [12], with this proces the higherfaty acids are separated to methyl and ethyl esters usingmethanol and catalyst KOH.Biodiesel fuel has beter properties than that ofpetroleum diesel fuel such as renewable, biodegradable,non–toxic, and esentialy fre of sulfur and aromatics. Thepurpose of transesterification proces is to lower the viscosityof the oil. The viscosity values of linsed oil methyl andethyl ester highly decreases after the transesterificationproces. The viscosity values of vegetable oils vary betwen 27.2 and 53.6mm2/s, whereas those of vegetable oil methylesters betwen 3.59 and 4.63 mm2"

So if this is correct it sounds like it is a very low viscosity oil that can be added in small amounts to thin out oil paint.

I am going to try some out myself, but wondering if anyone hear had any experience with this product or any thoughts on it from a conservation perspective.

It feels to me that there is a growing concern over the toxicity of solvents and the marketing of non-toxic alternatives, which might still have toxicity or archive issues.

Move Up

Move this whole section up, swapping places with the section above it.

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Check for and fix problems in the body text. Text pasted in from other sources may contain malformed HTML which the code cleaner will remove.

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Open the image pane in this body section. Click in the image pane to select an image from the image library.

Insert Video

Open the video pane in this body section. Click in the video pane to embed a video. Click ? for step-by-step instructions.

Remove Image

Remove the image from the media panel. This does not delete the image from the library.

Remove Video

EditDelete

Moderator Answer (kdeghetal)

[2018-05-25 19:45:32]

​These are all very interesting points and observations....first I would refer you to an earlier but related thread on the toxicity associated/not associated with spike lavender oil and other "green" solvents being marketed as safe alternatives to turpentine and mineral spirts (the latter being a rather wide and complex category). Kerith Koss Schrager's comment on the thread is particularly relevant here and I will forward your question to her in case she has anything additional to add. In the meantime some of us will try to do a bit more digging and will reach out to Sennelier to see if anyone can share some insight on these products.

EditDelete

Moderator Answer (kerith)

[2018-05-26 00:06:22]

​Non-toxic is pretty much just a marketing term like organic. There's no real regulatory standard. It just means that there's no research to prove it's toxic. So it could be a chemical that is in fact hazardous and no one has ever done an exposure study on it. In a 5 minute search, I couldn't easily find the ingredients or safety data sheet. I'd be suspicious of any company claiming to be looking out for your health that doesn't make this information readily available. Without any information to prove otherwise it's best to assume solvents are hazardous.

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2018-05-26 03:11:04]

​Thank you Kristen and Kerith. I didn't realise that there wasn't a proper requirement to list toxicity issues on the product. I assumed there was based on all the warnings you see on other solvents.

If Sennelier confirm that it is a methyl ester of fatty acids then would that still be classed as toxic, or more akin to a low viscosity slow drying oil?

Thank you!

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2018-05-26 08:11:59]

​Can we clarify this thread. I would like to separate VOCs in the toxicology report as this is the main reason why people dont use solvents as theyvarevairborne and much harder to control. Thankyou.

EditDelete

Moderator Answer (mkinsey)

[2018-05-28 14:59:28]

​Just a guess (since there's no hint of precise contents), but I assume, since the importer discloses that 'Green for Oils" is in the biosolvent category, it's likely based on methyl soyate or similar.  Look up something like Agri-pure AP-406 for more information.

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2018-05-29 05:10:05]

​Thank you Matthew!

I'm hoping Sennelier will come back to yourselves here or the original poster on the Wet Canvas thread with more information about what it is.

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2018-05-29 16:19:38]

SDS Sennelier Thinner GREEN-FOR-OIL.pdfSDS Sennelier Brush Cleaner-GREEN-FOR-OIL.pdf

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2018-05-29 16:26:01]

Hello Everyone. I am with Savoir-Faire, the exclusive importer and representative of Sennelier in the United States. I have included some SDS sheets above that I beleive should clarify many of these questions. As I receive more details, I will certainly pass them along.

Thank you,

Andrew Cook

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2018-05-29 16:53:26]

​Thank you Andrew. Those SDS sheets don't seem to show any toxicology concerns from VOC emissions as far as I can see..

Can you tell us, or are able to find out, if this thinner is a methyl ester of fatty acids (a biodiesel), or something else?

I think if we understand what it is, then a lot of artists would feel more comfortable about using it.

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2018-06-07 12:30:34]

​Hello,

I did receive some additional incites from the chemist at Sennelier (This has been translated from French to English, so please let me know if something does not make sense).

"First of all, one shall keep in mind that the resins and oils that are used are the same as for the traditional mediums (ketonic resins for the liquid medium and safflower oil for the gel medium). The non-toxic characteristic is due to the fact that the solvent used are non-toxic. The names of these solvents are proprietary. What we can say is that they are the result of a combination of fatty acids and ester (essence) of vegetable origin."

"-Per the above description, Green for Oil thinner is not of biodiesel origin."

Please continue to let us know of any questions, and I will work to get you the best possible response.

Thank you,

Andrew Cook

Savoir-Faire 

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2018-06-08 03:05:54]

​Thank you Andrew! :)

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2024-02-26 14:08:56]

​hi here, for those who had test, how fast does this evaporate? it said slow, but how slow will this compare to say water? and does this leaves residue behind or fully evaporate? why it may only mix small amount, which means we cannot use it to create a wash effect for initial layer?​

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Page Settings and MetaData:
(Not Shown on the Page)
Page Settings
MITRA
No
MetaData for Search Engine Optimization
MITRA Forum Question Details
restricted