Sign In
  • UD Search
Toggle Navigation

Open the Navigation Management window, which can be used to view the full current branch of the menu tree, and edit it.

CONNECT
  • Facebook

MITRA Forum Question Details

Image Picker for Section 0

ForumQuestion

• KILZ as sealer for panelsApproveRejectUn-ApproveSubscribeUn-Unsubscribe
    Question asked 2017-05-02 13:49:43 ... Most recent comment 2017-05-02 21:04:28
    Question

​Hi.  I'm an oil painter considering using KILZ 2, (latex water-based primer, sealer and stain blocker composed of  Titanium dioxide, Nepheline Syenite, Limestone) as a sealer for maple panels.  I will use 4 or more coats of acrylic gesso (either Golden or Art Board) after the KILZ.  I hear that KILZ is a good seal for panels but also know that industrial grade materials aren't always tested/recommended if the intention is to build an archival surface.  Do you recommend KILZ or should I stick with GAC 100?  Thank you. 

Answers and Comments
  • EditDeleteModerator Answer

We have to be honest here and say that we have no idea if this is a material that would be considered permanent as a sealer/sizing coat. It may be great, but it is neither made, nor tested for this purpose. I would stick with GAC 100 or 400 to be safe. I would personally use GAC 400 on panels, as it is less gummy and more rigid.

Brian Baade
    2017-05-02 15:00:23
  • ApproveRejectUn-ApproveUser Comment

​Thank you for the quick response!  

2017-05-02 15:05:25
  • EditDeleteModerator Answer

​Most of the Kilz water-borne products are made using styrenated acrylic copolymer, not 100% acrylic dispersion base. In architectural coatings, this is usually for sake of economy, as the generally better performing 100% acrylic is more costly. Also, house paints are made using plasticizers and coalescents that would not normally be used in artists' painting grounds. 

Matthew Kinsey, Utrecht Art Supplies
    2017-05-02 21:04:28
Page Settings and MetaData:
(Not Shown on the Page)
Page Settings
question
No
MetaData for Search Engine Optimization
MITRA Forum Question Details
restricted
This page cannot be accessed until you accept the Terms of Use, which can be found here.
Please note that this Terms of Use system uses cookies. If you have cookies disabled you will not be able to accept the agreement. If you delete our cookies you will need to re-accept the Terms of Use.
  • The Department of Art Conservation
  • 303 Old College
  • University of Delaware
  • Newark, DE 19716, USA
  • Phone: 302-831-3489
  • art-conservation@udel.edu