Toggle Navigation

Open the Navigation Management window, which can be used to view the full current branch of the menu tree, and edit it.

CONNECT
InstagramFacebook

MITRA Forum Question Details

Image Picker for Section 0
Move Down

Move this whole section down, swapping places with the section below it.

Code Cleaner

Check for and fix problems in the body text. Text pasted in from other sources may contain malformed HTML which the code cleaner will remove.

Accordion is OFF

Accordion feature turned off, click to turn on.

Accordion is ON

Accordion featurd turned on, click to turn off.

Image Rendition

Change the way the image is cropped for this page layout.

Media Size

Cycle through size options for this image or video.

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Align the media panel to the right/left in this section.

Insert Image

Open the image pane in this body section. Click in the image pane to select an image from the image library.

Insert Video

Open the video pane in this body section. Click in the video pane to embed a video. Click ? for step-by-step instructions.

Remove Image

Remove the image from the media panel. This does not delete the image from the library.

Remove Video

Remove the video from the media panel.

​​​​​​​​​​​

Question regarding oil lead ground and oil lead white paintApproveRejectUn-ApproveSubscribeUn-Unsubscribe

Question asked 2023-05-10 06:37:08 ... Most recent comment 2024-01-11 23:49:48
Grounds / Priming Art Conservation Topics Oil Paint

​Hi! While researching, I have come across some interesting comming from Angel Academy of Art's founder, Michael John Angel, about lead use in oil painting. I was interested in using a lead oil ground or lead alkyd ground on top of a surface prepared with acrilyc gesso as I have read lots of statements implying lead provides great strenght to the surface and further paint layers.

''This is great, but who would use dingy lead white these days? Over a short time, the lead combines with the sulfur in today's air and forms lead sulfide (and lead sulfide is black). I am a huge fan of Michael Klein's, but why not use titanium white (aka, the perfect white)? Titanium's only defect is that it's a slow drier, but mixed with an alkyd (such as Liquin), or bought in alkyd form, that defect goes away. It might be worth pointing out that there is a misapprehension about lead white: because it's so heavy, the assumption is that it is opaque. This is simply not true; it is fairly transparent. Lead white, like so many other pigments, is composed of round crystals, which bump together but leave a bunch of gaps. Titanium, on the other hand, has needle like crystals, which mesh together and form an opaque and permanent layer with no gaps. The Old People (guys & gals) used lead white simply because it was all they had. Today, we have much better paints than they did.''

Although both his comment and the fact lead white provides a strong film are not exclusive, I would like to know some conservator's opinion on this regard. Are the aforementioned drawbacks of lead (both ground and paint) sufficient to consider rulling it out, or its strength and other good properties make it still worth it? Specially when using it as a ground that will be fully covered. 

Thank you so much for your time, kind regards.

Move Up

Move this whole section up, swapping places with the section above it.

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Check for and fix problems in the body text. Text pasted in from other sources may contain malformed HTML which the code cleaner will remove.

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Open the image pane in this body section. Click in the image pane to select an image from the image library.

Insert Video

Open the video pane in this body section. Click in the video pane to embed a video. Click ? for step-by-step instructions.

Remove Image

Remove the image from the media panel. This does not delete the image from the library.

Remove Video

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2023-05-12 17:53:59]

I'm not a conservator, merely well read on the s​ubject.

Sulphur (I'm not American.) is hardly a risk to lead white in most locations nowadays, and even when it was back in the smokey 19th century, it was mostly in the outdoors and open doored churches.  Some places with hot pools with rotten egg smell (that the locals become blind to.) have shown a recent effect with unvarnished or unglazed paint, but the effect is generally overstated with oil paint.  Watercolour lead white is another matter.  Without the binding oil this discolours more freely so no one, as much as I'm aware, makes it anymore.

As a completely covered ground layer it should be as close as one can get to being completely risk free.

Titanium is much more opaque than lead white, it is true, but not as strong a paint film as lead white.

Marc.​​

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2023-05-13 06:06:09]

​Thank you so much for your comment, Marc​. 

​Indeed, his statement seemed kinda strange, hence my interest in checking out the information in this forum. My idea then would be to apply one or two thin coats of lead ground on top of Lascaux Acrylic primer. It is slightly absorbent, good for preventing excessive sinking in, but I will have to test how well oil ground adheres to it. 

Apart from that, do you have any thoughts on using either a lead oil ground or a lead alkyd ground? I am looking for the most archival option, I don't know if one of the two is more desirable. 

Thank you again for your time. ​

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2023-05-13 16:05:03]

​I haven't tried the Lascaux acrylic primer, but if it's intended as a universal primer it SHOULD be good for what you intend.

I believe the smithsonian did some paint film tests on lead oil paints. I should state the study date and number and if I can found it easily I will quote it later.  I recall that the lead white alkyd was too hard after many years of aging, as was lead white made solely with litharge black oil.  Both prone to cracking, while the normal lead white in standard refined linseed was in what might be called a Goldilocks zone of not too hard, not too soft.  So without having personally tested the lead alkyd ground. I'd go with the lead oil ground.

Marc.​

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2023-05-13 16:44:13]

​​Study: The Influence of Pigments and Ion Migration on the Durability of Drying Oil and Alkyd Paints.  by Marion F Mecklenburg, Charles S Tumosa and Edward P Vicenzi. 2010.    

The lead white was in cold pressed linseed, not refined linseed, and the brittle lead white alkyd 29 years old.  The lead white alkyd wasn't a ground, but a Winsor and Newton Griffin alkyd colour.  The Griffin flake white is now discontinued.  

Marc.​

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2023-05-15 13:48:20]

​​Thank you so much again for the thorough information, Marc.

​Yes, the primer is universal, although I have been adviced by one member of Jackson's to not use that  primer before an oil based ground ​due to potential adhesion issues, I guess due to the primer's slight absorbency. So it's one or the other, apparently. ​​According to Natural Pigments, their Lead alkyd ground is designed to adhere to ACM (where I plan to paint), ​so I may have to test all options , although budget-wise that's a bit inconvenient due to their pricings. ​​

I will be checking options, and if ​

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2023-05-15 13:49:38]

​I will be checking options, any advice on this matter would be gratefully appreciated* 

(Apologies, message got cut for some reason). 

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2024-01-11 23:49:48]

Lead ions in the ground apparently migrate into the paint film, which enhances its stability. However, lead white (PW 1) ground with zinc oxide white (PW 4) is even more brittle than when zinc white is ground with titanium white (PW 6).

​Therefore, a ground with lead white in it may be better for long-term stability or worse, depending upon what is mixed with the lead. Some alkyds have shown high brittleness but others may not have this defect. I presume, for instance, that the paint line "Archival Oils" is made with an alkyd, although I don't believe the company has disclosed what it uses. One amateur's test found that it, unlike the titanium-zinc white blends, did not crack nor delaminate. Similarly, two other brands of white that did not contain zinc oxide did not crack, nor did they delaminate. One was Lukas' "Opaque White" that is made with PW 5 (lithopone) and possibly some wax. The other I can't recall but I think it was also a lithopone white.

A lead + titanium ground, I would imagine, would offer both the superior brightness and opacity of titanium, with lead ions to enhance the paint film's stability. I really can't advise about the addition of alkyd.

Calcium carbonate and barium sulfate have also been components (additivies) of lead grounds that appear to be stable. However, I am not a professional conservator/researcher so take my words with due caution.

My advice is to avoid zinc white and grounds using animal glue. My understanding is that animal glue (rabbit skin, sturgeon, et cetera) has inferior properties when compared with some modern synthetic alternatives.

— SRS

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Page Settings and MetaData:
(Not Shown on the Page)
Page Settings
MITRA
No
MetaData for Search Engine Optimization
MITRA Forum Question Details
restricted