Toggle Navigation

Open the Navigation Management window, which can be used to view the full current branch of the menu tree, and edit it.

CONNECT
InstagramFacebook

MITRA Forum Question Details

Image Picker for Section 0
Move Down

Move this whole section down, swapping places with the section below it.

Code Cleaner

Check for and fix problems in the body text. Text pasted in from other sources may contain malformed HTML which the code cleaner will remove.

Accordion is OFF

Accordion feature turned off, click to turn on.

Accordion is ON

Accordion featurd turned on, click to turn off.

Image Rendition

Change the way the image is cropped for this page layout.

Media Size

Cycle through size options for this image or video.

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Align the media panel to the right/left in this section.

Insert Image

Open the image pane in this body section. Click in the image pane to select an image from the image library.

Insert Video

Open the video pane in this body section. Click in the video pane to embed a video. Click ? for step-by-step instructions.

Remove Image

Remove the image from the media panel. This does not delete the image from the library.

Remove Video

Remove the video from the media panel.

​​​​​​​​​​​

Removing Varnish problemApproveRejectUn-ApproveSubscribeUn-Unsubscribe

Question asked 2022-12-12 11:38:47 ... Most recent comment 2022-12-28 09:07:03
Acrylic Art Conservation Topics Solvents and Thinners Varnishes

Hi all,

​I have a somewhat perplexing problem. I have several acrylic paintings that once they had been dried for 1-2 weeks I applied an isolation coat (GOLDEN products), waited a few weeks and then applied Winsor & Newton Artists Acrylic Satin UV Varnish (bottle form). This is a removable acrylic that I like the Satin finish on more than other varnishes I have tried.

This worked well, but on one of these paintings the finish was uneven so I tried removing the varnish with the Winsor & Newton Artists Acrylic Varnish Remover in order to reapply afterwards but nothing happened. I tried adding more of the product and more vigorous movements with a soft cloth but it didn't remove the varnish or even seem to soften it. 

I made a test piece which I then varnished with the Satin Varnish and after a few days once it was dry I saturated the surface with varnish remover for 5 mins and then rubbed all over with a cotton cloth and again nothing happened, and I didn't see even the slightest change once the varnish remover was wiped off. I then also tried Gamsol (being odorless OMS) which did nothing as well.

At this point I emailed W&N and they said: "The varnish is based on an alkali soluble acrylic, the remover is alkaline in nature and should resolubilise the varnish so not quite sure why yours isn't working. I have heard of other artists adding a small amount of Rubbing Alcohol (ISO PROPANOL) to the remover normally 10 to 15 % 

As I say unless the alkaline material has evaporated it should remove the varnish"

On searching for the varnish on Google I found this link on CAMEO:

https://cameo.mfa.org/wiki/Artists%27_Gloss_Varnish

This suggests the varnish might be: "A brand name for a Polycyclohexanone based varnish that was previously sold as Winton Varnish. Artists' Gloss Varnish is composed of 46% Laropal K-80 dissolved in Mineral spirits with no additional components. The non-yellowing coating is typically used over oil, alkyd, or acrylic paints."

So following this being the possible composition I tried pure mineral spirits, which again did nothing!

The only thing which removed the varnish, but also damaged the acrylic on my test piece was Acetone.

Luckily my paintings have an isolation coat, but I am now at a loss for how to remove the varnish in the future.

I wondered if you had any ideas or suggestions?

Thank you,
Richard

Move Up

Move this whole section up, swapping places with the section above it.

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Check for and fix problems in the body text. Text pasted in from other sources may contain malformed HTML which the code cleaner will remove.

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Open the image pane in this body section. Click in the image pane to select an image from the image library.

Insert Video

Open the video pane in this body section. Click in the video pane to embed a video. Click ? for step-by-step instructions.

Remove Image

Remove the image from the media panel. This does not delete the image from the library.

Remove Video

EditDelete

Moderator Answer (gwatson@goldenpaints.com)

[2022-12-12 14:21:47]

Hi Richard,

If it is a water-based product, then it is more likely going to be removable with ammonia than a mineral spirit type solvent. Perhaps you can test unscented household ammonia to see if that works. The W&N Remover smells like ammonia, but might be a little weaker than household ammonia. Test a saturated cotton swab doing 10-50 circles ~1cm diameter area should give an indication if successful. Ammonia has a very strong odor, so best used in a well ventilated space and with gloves. If it seems to activate the varnish, then you can follow our typical recommendation for removal as indicated in video below.

The ammonia should not damage the acrylic layers with the Isolation Coat. 

This video shows the process for removing MSA Varnish, which requires MSA Solvent (full strength mineral spirits)…you can follow all the steps and procedures using the household ammonia instead of MSA Solvent.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrZR7FbgU9A

Good Luck,

Greg from GOLDEN

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2022-12-12 16:04:29]

​Thank you Greg! That is really helpful. I will try that and see how it goes.​

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2022-12-26 05:49:40]

​Just an update, I've bought some Ammonia and tried that as described (it's very strong smelling indeed!) and it had no effect at all on the varnish (or the acrylic paint).

At this point I'm wondering if somehow in the manufacturing the acrylic varnish ended up becoming just normal acrylic which is why it got removed with acetone?​

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2022-12-28 07:52:43]

I've also now tried rubbing on the varnish with isopropyl alcohol (70%) to no effect.

​Any more ideas? :/

EditDelete

Moderator Answer (gwatson@goldenpaints.com)

[2022-12-28 08:56:21]

Hi Richard,

It sounds like there is an anomoly going on with the varnish. From what you are describing, and have tested, it appears to be a permanent layer. 

Going back to the original problem, you mentioned the initial varnish application simply did not go on as well as you like. Perhaps you can try another round of varnish over top to see if it fills in, or unifies the sheen. If you are worried about building many layers of satin and hazing the image, then perhaps an additional layer or two of the Isolation Coat can resaturate the color and unify the surface/prepare it for another attempt with the varnish.? The Isolation Coat should be fine over a permanent acrylic layer/ varnish.  Also, sounds like you should get a fresh bottle of varnish and test before you apply to make sure it is what you want.

Good luck!

Greg at GOLDEN​

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2022-12-28 09:07:03]

​Thanks Greg. I'd come to pretty much the same conclusions and will try adding a new layer of varnish or isolation coat. It's annoying as it is supposed to be removable, but I guess the good thing with acrylics is you have more options (like another isolation coat layer) than you do with oils.​

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Page Settings and MetaData:
(Not Shown on the Page)
Page Settings
MITRA
No
MetaData for Search Engine Optimization
MITRA Forum Question Details
restricted