Toggle Navigation

Open the Navigation Management window, which can be used to view the full current branch of the menu tree, and edit it.

CONNECT
InstagramFacebook

MITRA Forum Question Details

Image Picker for Section 0
Move Down

Move this whole section down, swapping places with the section below it.

Code Cleaner

Check for and fix problems in the body text. Text pasted in from other sources may contain malformed HTML which the code cleaner will remove.

Accordion is OFF

Accordion feature turned off, click to turn on.

Accordion is ON

Accordion featurd turned on, click to turn off.

Image Rendition

Change the way the image is cropped for this page layout.

Media Size

Cycle through size options for this image or video.

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Align the media panel to the right/left in this section.

Insert Image

Open the image pane in this body section. Click in the image pane to select an image from the image library.

Insert Video

Open the video pane in this body section. Click in the video pane to embed a video. Click ? for step-by-step instructions.

Remove Image

Remove the image from the media panel. This does not delete the image from the library.

Remove Video

Remove the video from the media panel.

​​​​​​​​​​​

Correct way to size fabric with Rabbit Skin Glue?ApproveRejectUn-ApproveSubscribeUn-Unsubscribe

Question asked 2021-09-04 09:02:20 ... Most recent comment 2021-09-09 13:48:29
Sizes and Adhesives

I can't find a definitive answer for how much RSG is too much or too little. I have been using it while in liquid form, before it cools, and applying with a sponge until it soaks through the back. A friend says that's too much. I do get spots where the fabric is slick and shiny.

I thought to do a light coat on front and light coat on back, but that seems to be not recommended. Is there a better way to do this and still make sure all fibers are saturated? 

Move Up

Move this whole section up, swapping places with the section above it.

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Check for and fix problems in the body text. Text pasted in from other sources may contain malformed HTML which the code cleaner will remove.

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Open the image pane in this body section. Click in the image pane to select an image from the image library.

Insert Video

Open the video pane in this body section. Click in the video pane to embed a video. Click ? for step-by-step instructions.

Remove Image

Remove the image from the media panel. This does not delete the image from the library.

Remove Video

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2021-09-05 13:04:48]

Sorry to add onto my question so soon, but if I may also ask about pre-washing linen. I was taught to always pre-wash. The logic is that you wash away anything foreign and that linen shrinks up to 20-30% and you want that shrinkage to happen before you paint.

But pre-washing makes stretching a nightmare, the canvas has no structure and I always end up with sections all twisted and off-grain. Would giving a canvas a soak in a light solution of RSG before actually stretching a good idea? Or I should just not pre-wash? Thank you for your time!​

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2021-09-06 22:01:32]

​From just another artist, I'm not not sure there is an exact answer.  Certainly the linen needs to be sealed, and stiffened, but the general view is that there also shouldn't be a layer of RSG.  However if it's sealed, surely there must be a layer of some kind?  Perhaps not a discernable layer?  So "slick and shiney" might be too much, but hold in mind production of artists canvases has been worse is history.  At one point. Was it the 19th century?  the French were laying RSG cold and thick with a spatula onto thick linens.  Now these supports have the RSG and linen expanding and shrinking at different rates.  But the paintings still exist.

As I understand it, the sizing mostly only needs to be where the oil paint will contact (though it does need to be absorbed) so soaking though to the back isn't absolutely required UNLESS the linen is of such an open weave the the oil paint itself ​will strike through the hole. IF the linen is very open, sizing the linen in the stretcher can result in the line striking/sticking to the stretcher.  I've solved this in the past by tacking up the linen within a frame like a animal skin, but with more points of restraint.  Only after drying then putting on a stretcher.​​

As to prewashing I hang the linen flat with many, many pegs in a single layer on the washing linen and spray in a fast fan setting with a water hose gun.  I do this twice letting it dry inbetween.  The second time it seems to wet more easily so I believe something has been washed out of it.  Putting it in a gentle machine wash cycle I had problems as well.

It's all a bit of bother. I've given up on light linens, except when glued to panels, and completely given up on RSG.  Using one of Golden's Acrylic resins instead.​

Marc.

EditDelete

Moderator Answer (brian baade)

[2021-09-07 12:22:54]

There are concrete issues associated with the use of animal glue as a sizing. A search here will should reveal a number of threads on the subject. You should also read through our downloadable PDF on adhesives and sizes in our Resources section

https://www.artcons.udel.edu/mitra/resources

There is certainly an advantage in preshrinking the linen. There was a time when the most fastidious would shrink and stretch the linen many times until much of its reactivity was thought to be removed. In practice this was not really possible (the fibers will always absorb water and swell causing some shrinkage) but certainly the linen did have a tighter weave. I would not do this unrestrained in a washing machine, It would be far better to attach it to a temporary strainer and wet the linen. After it dies you could then restretch until you are satisfied. Whether this is worth it to you is another question. Also, it is not essential that all fibers be encapsulated by a size but just those in contact with the oil primer, if such is being used.

Despite the inherent issues and my being a painting conservator who is aware of the possible problems with animal glue, I always use animal glue when sizing linen for oil painting BUT ONLY WHEN USING AN OIL PRIMER. It is nonsensical to use animal glue under an acrylic dispersion ground. I just love the stiffness it provides and appreciate the way in when the linen can be gently sanded after the first coat dried to remove the fuzz from the surface. I would also suggest that linen always performs best when it is over a rigid support rather than a strainer and stretcher but that is a separate issue and one that has been covered many time here on MITRA (please do a search). Multiple coats of acrylic dispersion or PVA medium sizes are very much superior in terms or reactivity to changes in relative humidity. Again, this has been covered many times here on MITRA. Much of what perceived as the virtues of animal glue is the resultant stiffness of the fabric. It has been shown that the same stiffness can be achieved but the application of multiple layers of acrylic dispersion ground to the fabric.

Finally, and I make no claim to the superiority of the following, but this is the procedure that I used when I was using animal glue to size fabric, preferably when stretched over a rigid support: I would apply 2 to 3 coats of size depending on the weight and weave of the canvas. The size coats were rather thin. It i difficult to talk about how much glue to water since each brand likely has a different "bloom strength" The glue that I used worked best with about 6 level TB glue soaked and dissolved in a quart of water using a double boiler. I would gently sand the canvas to remove fuzz and any slub protrusions after the 1st coat had completely dies and again after the 2nd if I intended to use 3 coats. I never sanded the final coat.

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2021-09-08 13:49:16]

Thank you Marc and Brian for your messages. It made me realize that my problem is a bad quality loose linen, not necessarily a sizing issue. Unfortunately, I have 15 yards of this stuff to go through. It sounds like the way forward is temporary stretching, sizing and priming and then final stretching for big paintings; and gluing to panels for small. 

I've tried various PVA and GACs and they just do not match the surface you get with RSG & oil ground but I will experiment again when I have a chance. Thank you again!​

EditDelete

Moderator Answer (mirjam hintz)

[2021-09-09 13:48:29]

You could also use large stretcher frames to create temporary stretching & priming frames, similar to Vellum/skin drying racks or medieval embroidery frames. By attaching the canvas to the stretcher frames with threads, you can quickly readjust the tension, so if you brush on water first to wash the canvas and it goes slack, you can just pull the threads tighter. But as Brian said, and particularly because your linen canvas appears to be of poor quality, your paintings should hold up longer if you adhere the linen to a panel to give extra support. The center of a large scale canvas usually moves more and bounces back and forth any time the painting is handled. This could exacerbate cracking and flacking issues of RSG & oil primed canvases. For large paintings polyester cloth is a great choice as it is the most inert of all the fabric supports and it can be stretched very tight without slackening.   ​​

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Page Settings and MetaData:
(Not Shown on the Page)
Page Settings
MITRA
No
MetaData for Search Engine Optimization
MITRA Forum Question Details
restricted