Toggle Navigation

Open the Navigation Management window, which can be used to view the full current branch of the menu tree, and edit it.

CONNECT
InstagramFacebook

MITRA Forum Question Details

Image Picker for Section 0
Move Down

Move this whole section down, swapping places with the section below it.

Code Cleaner

Check for and fix problems in the body text. Text pasted in from other sources may contain malformed HTML which the code cleaner will remove.

Accordion is OFF

Accordion feature turned off, click to turn on.

Accordion is ON

Accordion featurd turned on, click to turn off.

Image Rendition

Change the way the image is cropped for this page layout.

Media Size

Cycle through size options for this image or video.

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Align the media panel to the right/left in this section.

Insert Image

Open the image pane in this body section. Click in the image pane to select an image from the image library.

Insert Video

Open the video pane in this body section. Click in the video pane to embed a video. Click ? for step-by-step instructions.

Remove Image

Remove the image from the media panel. This does not delete the image from the library.

Remove Video

Remove the video from the media panel.

​​​​​​​​​​​

Commercially prepared canvas or linen already mounted onto rigid supportsApproveRejectUn-ApproveSubscribeUn-Unsubscribe

Question asked 2016-12-14 18:30:40 ... Most recent comment 2016-12-14 18:34:00
Rigid Supports
I don't know if this is proper on this site to ask for the names of companies that offer already sized and primed canvas or linen mounted onto rigid supports that are archival and do not contain zinc white? I don't like to spend my time preparing supports. I know they will be more expensive when already prepped but it does save a lot of time even though I may still add another coat of oil ground or acrylic ground on top.  Thank you.
Move Up

Move this whole section up, swapping places with the section above it.

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Check for and fix problems in the body text. Text pasted in from other sources may contain malformed HTML which the code cleaner will remove.

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Open the image pane in this body section. Click in the image pane to select an image from the image library.

Insert Video

Open the video pane in this body section. Click in the video pane to embed a video. Click ? for step-by-step instructions.

Remove Image

Remove the image from the media panel. This does not delete the image from the library.

Remove Video

EditDelete

Moderator Answer (Baade, Brian)

[2016-12-14 18:59:01]
We hesitate to specifically recommend a particular product or brand unless it is both unique and we are sure of 100% of the component materials. You do not mention if you require an oil or acrylic dispersion priming. We have discussed the issue of zinc white as a component in priming layers with a few of our colleagues and as far as we can tell, zinc white is not found in acrylic dispersion grounds AND even if it was a component, there is no evidence as of yet that it poses the same risks as it does in oil priming and paint layers. So if you are alright with having an acrylic dispersion ground, you should be able to easily locate a panel that you would be able to use. Pre oil primed canvas panels are more complicated. Unfortunately, most of the oil primings out there appear to have zinc in their composition. At this point, I know of no commercially available oil primed canvas faced panels that contain absolutely no zinc white. Some have more than others and some have one or more of their priming layers completely composed of zinc white in oil. I also have to admit that the conservation science community has not yet determined if there is a critical ratio where if there is less than that number, there are few if any problems, and if it is more, problems are probable. There are cottage industry colormen out there who will custom create and prime a panel for you. I am sure that someone like that could be induced to make just such a panel for you. Perhaps some of the other moderators or visitors know of a product or supplier that makes a panel that fits your needs.
ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2016-12-14 19:58:39]
Thank you for your quick answer. Now I can see that acrylic dispersion grounds would not have zinc white in them. I am not opposed to acrylic grounds either so that helps a lot. Besides, I can always add my oil ground on top of the acrylic if I want. I usually put a burnt sienna imprimatura on it before I start the image paint so that helps keep it from being too absorbent. Good point about having a cottage industry colormen make some for me. Thanks again!
ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2017-02-09 11:13:55]
I am a landscape painter in Memphis, TN. I work primarily on linen or cotton mounted directly to panels, either plywood, hardboard or gator board. I often make my own panels, but can highly recommend Wind River Arts as a supplier: http://www.windriverarts.com/canvas_boards.htm They have a variety of canvases and supports as well. They use an archival BEVA adhesive. My favorite panels that they make are the 359 and 350DP, which both use an alkyd primer. It's more absorbent than the typical oil or acrylic primer, so during plein air painting, my initial block in will dry quickly, so I can work on top of it. I hope this helps. Matthew Lee http://matthewleestudio.com
Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Page Settings and MetaData:
(Not Shown on the Page)
Page Settings
MITRA
No
MetaData for Search Engine Optimization
MITRA Forum Question Details
restricted