Toggle Navigation

Open the Navigation Management window, which can be used to view the full current branch of the menu tree, and edit it.

CONNECT
InstagramFacebook

MITRA Forum Question Details

Image Picker for Section 0
Move Down

Move this whole section down, swapping places with the section below it.

Code Cleaner

Check for and fix problems in the body text. Text pasted in from other sources may contain malformed HTML which the code cleaner will remove.

Accordion is OFF

Accordion feature turned off, click to turn on.

Accordion is ON

Accordion featurd turned on, click to turn off.

Image Rendition

Change the way the image is cropped for this page layout.

Media Size

Cycle through size options for this image or video.

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Align the media panel to the right/left in this section.

Insert Image

Open the image pane in this body section. Click in the image pane to select an image from the image library.

Insert Video

Open the video pane in this body section. Click in the video pane to embed a video. Click ? for step-by-step instructions.

Remove Image

Remove the image from the media panel. This does not delete the image from the library.

Remove Video

Remove the video from the media panel.

​​​​​​​​​​​

Reaction of Lead Alkyd Primer on Solid Rose Gold and Copper ApproveRejectUn-ApproveSubscribeUn-Unsubscribe

Question asked 2023-08-22 07:46:27 ... Most recent comment 2023-08-24 12:43:02
Oil Paint Rigid Supports Alkyd

Hello,

I've been testing Rublev Lead Alkyd Ground on rose gold and copper (for a miniature painting in oils, fitted into a jewellery piece), and would be very grateful for any insight into a particular reaction I’ve been getting.

I’ve asked on this wonderful forum before about painting in oils on solid 22ct gold (I’ve been working on a few of these pieces in the interim, trying to find the best primers, mediums and varnishes!) and have only just got hold of some Lead Alkyd Ground in the UK. Apart from the benefits of lead for the paint film, the later pieces have now switched to a rose gold support; since this contains more copper, I thought that using a lead primer would be even more beneficial.

My first question is a fact-check about the idea that lead binds advantageously to copper through a chemical reaction: I’ve read this several times online, usually from artists – is there actually any truth to this and if so does it create a stronger bond between metal and primer?

My second question is about a strange effect I get when brushing it out (I’m working on a 1cm high oval so it needs to be perfectly smooth at that scale, so I brush it out a lot more than usual). After lots of smoothing, the white primer turned grey, and even stained my brush tip grey! When I wiped it off the gold, it looked like black powdery tarnish on the rag.

It did the same thing on both the rose gold and a pure copper test piece (which I assumed ruled out the gold and silver in the rose gold). I used two different synthetic brushes to try and rule out contaminants. If I didn’t brush it much, it looked absolutely normal on both supports (but then I’d have to sand down lead primer!)

I'm wondering what this chemical reaction is please, and if it would compromise the painting? If it's just the advantageous reaction of copper and lead, and I brought the product to the surface by brushing, then great – I’ll just have to brighten it with a first coat of white paint! I asked Natural Pigments this question, but they weren’t sure why this could be happening.

Phew - thanks for reading all this, and any help would be very much appreciated!

Ellie

Move Up

Move this whole section up, swapping places with the section above it.

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Check for and fix problems in the body text. Text pasted in from other sources may contain malformed HTML which the code cleaner will remove.

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Open the image pane in this body section. Click in the image pane to select an image from the image library.

Insert Video

Open the video pane in this body section. Click in the video pane to embed a video. Click ? for step-by-step instructions.

Remove Image

Remove the image from the media panel. This does not delete the image from the library.

Remove Video

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2023-08-22 14:07:57]

Hello there,

I won't have the definitive answer, but some skeptical thoughts, if hopefully they can feed your research.

I'm not familiar with this saying about lead (pigment I assume) binding efficiently over copper. As far as anti-corrosion treatments go for metals, I'm more familiar with zinc based pigments over steel. But lead carbonate directly over metallic copper, that sounds risky.

Lead carbonate has been apreciated for the flexibility it gives to linseed oil films and its drying property, but it's also been historically problematic for its chemical reactivity, turning darker into lead oxide notably. What I recall most was to avoid mixing lead and cadmium colours because they react with each other, but in the end it is a quite reactive pigment. I believe Zinc white is less reactive usually and titanium white even more inhert.

It's likely there is an unfortunate electrochemical reaction between your metallic substrate and the lead pigment, which stains badly your paint as you consume the pigment and turn it to darker oxide (and likely carbonate salts). It's not a good surface for long term stability. Like painting could change colour over the years, you risk your painting bubbling and delaminating over this dust. Furthermore since the grounds are pretty lean in essence.

I don't recall enough about the electric potential of the lead, zinc, titanium and copper oxides against each other to forecast them accurately, but furthermore if you're painting in alkyd which will keep some inherent flexibility (over the solid substrate anyway), it's worth testing the two other types of white.

Alkyds have pretty good adhesion, drying and flexibility anyway, so I'm not sure what are the supposed benefits of focusing on lead white anymore. I'd really advocate forgetting the old lead. 

If zinc and titanium also degrade rapidly (which is far less likely than lead. And I really doubt you can change the oxidation of titanium white like that.), then what you need is to make a... ground before your white ground. A thin layer of your alkyd or resin could seal the surface and insulate the following coat and pigments from reacting directly with each other.​

Good luck,

Lussh

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2023-08-23 15:49:07]

Hello Lussh,

Thank you so much for such a quick and thorough reply!

That’s really interesting, aha I wondered if it was a lead oxide I was seeing when it turned grey/black! Good to know about not mixing cadmium pigments and lead too.

In my case I’m just using lead carbonate in the ground, then painting with titanium white, so hopefully any darkening wouldn’t be visible down the line (I’d heard that titanium white was more likely to darken than lead white, that’s interesting!)

But if there’s any chance it’ll risk my painting, I won’t use it – previously I’ve used Gamblin Oil Ground (with an alkyd binder) which seems to bind very well to metals, but I thought a lead alkyd ground would have been an upgrade! Since it’s touted as being designed for copper and ACM.

I wonder, is this a reaction that would happen anyway at the interface of the metal and primer, or have I created it somehow by brushing more vigorously do you think?

Thank you so much for your time!

Ellie

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2023-08-24 12:43:02]

Hello Ellie,

Alkyds themselves bring the main advantages of lead white (in linseed oil) without the inconvenients. It was arguably a necessary evil in linseed oil colours, far less in alkyds. You'll be safer with titanium white definitely.

If my hypothesis is correct, brushing vigorously caused enough interactions of over-thinly coated pigments to react electrochemically with the copper and oxygen. 

My worst case scenario would be the pigment closest to copper over time eventually darkenning, causing delamination, dark spots or blisters appearing. But it's unlikely to propagate much (like flash rust on steel would) if you don't move it around and keep enough binder between the pigments and metal. (making an isolating ground layer would protect from the effect I suspect).

Good painting to you,

Lussh

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Page Settings and MetaData:
(Not Shown on the Page)
Page Settings
MITRA
No
MetaData for Search Engine Optimization
MITRA Forum Question Details
restricted