Sign In
  • UD Search
Toggle Navigation

Open the Navigation Management window, which can be used to view the full current branch of the menu tree, and edit it.

CONNECT
  • Facebook

MITRA Forum Question Details

Image Picker for Section 0

ForumQuestion

• Gamblin Rich Gold oil paintApproveRejectUn-ApproveSubscribeUn-Unsubscribe
    Question asked 2016-11-25 19:04:02 ... Most recent comment 2016-11-25 22:13:00
    Question
    Is Gamblin Rich Gold oil paint okay to use in outer layers in my paintings? I paint indirectly and will use it for small areas such as on a bird’s feathers or parts of leaves, etc. I don’t know anything about these metal paints and hoping they’re durable paints. I bought it on a whim. In case this is relevant, I only use a little linseed oil as my medium. Thank you for starting this site for artists!
Answers and Comments
  • ApproveRejectUn-ApproveUser CommentUsing Rich Gold on the top layers of a painting is fine. Rich Gold is formulated by suspending bronze powder in an oil modified alkyd resin binder. Adding a small amount of linseed oil is fine, but do not thin with solvent-rich (lean) mediums or solvent alone, as this will under-bind the metallic pigment and cause it to discolor. It will retain its color well when the pigment is remains suspended in its binder. I hope this helps. Scott Gellatly, Gamblin Product Manager
    2016-11-28 11:43:26
  • EditDeleteModerator AnswerThanks Scott, Just curious, what was the benefit with using bronze powders in this instance rather than going with one of the many of tarnish-proof mica pigments available today?
    Baade, Brian
    2016-11-28 11:57:39
  • ApproveRejectUn-ApproveUser CommentGreat question, Brian. In short, it’s the appearance of the resulting paint layer. The mica powders look like mica powders. Bronze, and aluminum look like metal. Encasing the pigments in alkyd resin protects them from moisture and oxidation-related changes.
    2016-11-28 12:55:47
  • ApproveRejectUn-ApproveUser CommentThanks to all of you for your answers.
    2016-11-29 11:39:53
Page Settings and MetaData:
(Not Shown on the Page)
Page Settings
question
No
MetaData for Search Engine Optimization
MITRA Forum Question Details
restricted
This page cannot be accessed until you accept the Terms of Use, which can be found here.
Please note that this Terms of Use system uses cookies. If you have cookies disabled you will not be able to accept the agreement. If you delete our cookies you will need to re-accept the Terms of Use.
  • The Department of Art Conservation
  • 303 Old College
  • University of Delaware
  • Newark, DE 19716, USA
  • Phone: 302-831-3489
  • art-conservation@udel.edu