Toggle Navigation

Open the Navigation Management window, which can be used to view the full current branch of the menu tree, and edit it.

CONNECT
InstagramFacebook

MITRA Forum Question Details

Image Picker for Section 0
Move Down

Move this whole section down, swapping places with the section below it.

Code Cleaner

Check for and fix problems in the body text. Text pasted in from other sources may contain malformed HTML which the code cleaner will remove.

Accordion is OFF

Accordion feature turned off, click to turn on.

Accordion is ON

Accordion featurd turned on, click to turn off.

Image Rendition

Change the way the image is cropped for this page layout.

Media Size

Cycle through size options for this image or video.

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Align the media panel to the right/left in this section.

Insert Image

Open the image pane in this body section. Click in the image pane to select an image from the image library.

Insert Video

Open the video pane in this body section. Click in the video pane to embed a video. Click ? for step-by-step instructions.

Remove Image

Remove the image from the media panel. This does not delete the image from the library.

Remove Video

Remove the video from the media panel.

​​​​​​​​​​​

Protein DenaturationApproveRejectUn-ApproveSubscribeUn-Unsubscribe

Question asked 2021-01-17 08:28:02 ... Most recent comment 2021-01-19 21:30:04

​Hello MITRA,

I have an egg tempera student with a background in icon painting who makes her medium by combining 1 part yolk with 2 parts wine.  For my class, she changed the ratio to 1 part yolk to 1 part wine (since I work with a thicker medium).   

I'm not a fan of adding alcohol to medium: I prefer just egg yolk and water (cracking a fresh egg as needed; and adding isopropyl alcohol only to the few colors that actually need help dispersing).  The simpler a paint system is the less that can go wrong, and the easier problems are to diganose.  But I realize many painters are used to adding wine or vodka to medium, and of course they are free to work as they please.

This morning her medium, which she keeps refrigerated when not in use, had "curdled". I explained that this is (I believe) protein denaturation: alcohol is causing the molecular bonds in the protein portion of yolk to break down, the same as cooking an egg.  

So, two questions: 

1. Why doesn't this happen everytime alcohol is added to egg yolk?  Does egg oil sort of "encapsulate" the proteins and protect them from the denaturing effect of alcohol?  I understand there is less protein in yolk than in egg white, but still there is some, and clearly (from her example) it's capable of denaturing.

2.  Any guesses what casued her medium to denature?

Hope some of you chemists out there can shed light on this.

Move Up

Move this whole section up, swapping places with the section above it.

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Check for and fix problems in the body text. Text pasted in from other sources may contain malformed HTML which the code cleaner will remove.

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Open the image pane in this body section. Click in the image pane to select an image from the image library.

Insert Video

Open the video pane in this body section. Click in the video pane to embed a video. Click ? for step-by-step instructions.

Remove Image

Remove the image from the media panel. This does not delete the image from the library.

Remove Video

EditDelete

Moderator Answer (koo schadler)

[2021-01-17 08:54:35]

​PS.  The above question was asked by me, Koo Schadler.  I'm an egg tempera moderator on this site, and for some reason the program, which usually signs my posts for me  didn't recognize me.  I clarify this becasue I don't want you, Brian, to send this question to me - since I clearly can't answer it!  Hoping you, George, Sarah or some other technically astute person can. 

EditDelete

Moderator Answer (brian baade)

[2021-01-17 15:54:46]

I am guessing that the egg was older than thought.

It is true that ethanol denatures egg proteins. However, there are a few things to consider before assuming that this was the culprit here. First, the ethanol solution needs to be rather concentrated for it to disrupt protein side chains. Additionally, most egg protein is contained in the white, although the yolk does some amount. About 17% of egg yolk is protein. For most artists a small dash of ethanol should have little to no affect on the binder. On the other hand, why add ethanol at all? It is far smarter to just use fresh eggs. They are cheap and this assures that your binder is fresh.

EditDelete

[2021-01-18 09:22:52]

I don't bother with ethanol either.   Trying to shift some of the outdated practices in iconography (wine/vodka based mediums, olifa, working with mercury/lead based pigments in powder form), but it's a very strong and much beloved tradition (for many good reasons, of course).  Thanks for you input, Brian. 

EditDelete

Moderator Answer (mkinsey)

[2021-01-19 17:49:18]

​Just a followup question: could the wine have turned and become sufficiently acidic to curdle the yolk? Wine that has gone to vinegar would introduce acetic acid in addition to the tartaric, malic and lactic acids already present. 

EditDelete

Moderator Answer (brian baade)

[2021-01-19 21:30:04]

Rereading my comment, I see that I was not as clear as I should have been. I should clarify my comment about the relative proportions of protein in eggs (white vs yolk) Yolks have about 16-17% protein and whites have around 11%. What I mean by whites having the most protein is that they have basically only water and protein, so the final film would be practically only protein. Yolks have 16-17% protein but 27% oils, meaning that the dried film would be close to 1/3rd  protein and 2/3rds lipids.

Additionally, Koo, I understand that you do not use wine/brandy, vodka, Everclear, etc. in your medium, I just wanted to make my position clear.

Michael, I am glad that you mentioned this. I did not think about it as I generally worry more about bases in conjunction with proteinaceous media and acids more with pigments like ultramarine. However, acids could attack the calcium carbonate or sulfate in the ground.

I do wonder about acidification now that you mention it. Perhaps if one is keeping a very old bottle of some cheap Chianti (substitute cab Sauv, P. noir, etc.) around for this purpose, it may be practically vinegar over time. I would like to do a little experiment with this idea when I return to the lab mid-February.

EditDelete

[2021-01-20 07:53:21]

​Yes, that's an interesting idea. I know you'll keep us posted of your experiments, Brian - thanks.  Koo

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Page Settings and MetaData:
(Not Shown on the Page)
Page Settings
MITRA
No
MetaData for Search Engine Optimization
MITRA Forum Question Details
restricted