Toggle Navigation

Open the Navigation Management window, which can be used to view the full current branch of the menu tree, and edit it.

CONNECT
InstagramFacebook

MITRA Forum Question Details

Image Picker for Section 0
Move Down

Move this whole section down, swapping places with the section below it.

Code Cleaner

Check for and fix problems in the body text. Text pasted in from other sources may contain malformed HTML which the code cleaner will remove.

Accordion is OFF

Accordion feature turned off, click to turn on.

Accordion is ON

Accordion featurd turned on, click to turn off.

Image Rendition

Change the way the image is cropped for this page layout.

Media Size

Cycle through size options for this image or video.

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Align the media panel to the right/left in this section.

Insert Image

Open the image pane in this body section. Click in the image pane to select an image from the image library.

Insert Video

Open the video pane in this body section. Click in the video pane to embed a video. Click ? for step-by-step instructions.

Remove Image

Remove the image from the media panel. This does not delete the image from the library.

Remove Video

Remove the video from the media panel.

​​​​​​​​​​​

Inquiry regarding archival support optionsApproveRejectUn-ApproveSubscribeUn-Unsubscribe

Question asked 2023-04-14 07:30:49 ... Most recent comment 2024-01-12 00:44:28
Art Conservation Topics Oil Paint Rigid Supports Industrial and Non-Traditional Products

​Hello, I have been researching for a while with regards of finding the best archival support possible for my artworks. 

I am happy painting on wood, but the detrimental effects RH and temperature swifts have on this material encourage me to look for a better option. I have also tried unsealed anodized panels, but i am unsure on long-term adhession of oil paints. ​I will try to keep it simple, as out there are many varied options. ​​

​​I am currently driven towards painting on ACM supports, but I am dubious on which subtype to choose. ​I am not too fond of plastic, having read it to not be expected to be as durable as metal, which leaves me with Honeycomb or Alucobond panels. 

​On the one hand, I am interested in trying Honeycomb panels, but being located in Europe, getting Artefex's ones is too expensive due to the shipping costs. I would like to test a sample before buying a bunch of them to save, but that seems unfeasible. ​

On the other hand, I found advice from Mr. Ross Merrill, former chief conservator of the National Gallery, where he recommended the use of an Alucobond panel glued to a Sunbrella poolyester fabric. I like this approach the best, as Alucobond seems to be the best option out of all the ACM types I have read about. 

I have already asked Sunbrella and, although they claim their current anti-moisture coating to not be as easily removable by hand as before, they were happy to offer me some fabric samples for me to check (still pending to be shipped from France). Meanwhile, I find myself incapable of getting an Alucobond panel smaller than 400x150 cms and coated with a polyester fabric upon which to glue the Sunbrella one, for better adhesion. 

​I would like to ask for advice on whether or not I am being too fussy, as ​Dibond is easily available, but again I am not a fan of cheap plastic cores. Am I right making that assumption? 

Maybe honeycomb panels from Artefex are the best way to go, and just testing the Sunbrella fabric to check if it's worthwhile or just sticking to ​​their lead oil panels in case not. At least for the time being, before getting any huge one directly from a manufacturer.   ​

Any advise highly welcomed and appreciated, thank you.

​Kind regards,

Jesus Boltzmann

Move Up

Move this whole section up, swapping places with the section above it.

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Check for and fix problems in the body text. Text pasted in from other sources may contain malformed HTML which the code cleaner will remove.

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Open the image pane in this body section. Click in the image pane to select an image from the image library.

Insert Video

Open the video pane in this body section. Click in the video pane to embed a video. Click ? for step-by-step instructions.

Remove Image

Remove the image from the media panel. This does not delete the image from the library.

Remove Video

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2023-04-14 23:50:22]

Hi Jesus, i am not sure why you really interest to try metal panel that i actually had concerns with. the issue is for metal its expansion rate is very high, that may result of cracking in temp. changes. also the adhesion of ground to metal may be weak, because the surface is not porous for best adhesion. 

plus it is only a very thin metal sheet, glues on a core, usually a plastic type, so i think it had risk of delamination or bending. and it could be very heavy. 

so what i think a better alternative is tempered hardboard, which is engineered wood that immerged in oil for tempering, result of a stronger structure. 

and i also not like gluing canvas on substrate, the reason is because with moisture fluation the canvas will experence dimension changes, that may lead to cracking.

​so it would be best to directly acrylic gesso on tempered hardboard, it will result a very simple structure. 

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2023-04-15 03:25:22]

Hi, ​thank you for your answer. The first concern you mentioned i​s indeed the one that made me rule out anodized aluminum to begin with. 

If using ACM panels my take would be glueing them to a metalic craddle to prevent bending, and using an ACM already coated with a polyester fabric, to promote adhession. If glueing a top fabric, it would be a polyester one, which being synthetic doesn't react to changes in RH, preventing the oil painting layers from being exposed to potential damage. Having read a lot of opinions in this forum in favour of this solution, I have got truly interested in this option, hence my seek for advice. 

​I eitherway want to try an Ampersand tempered gessoboard (a brand for tempered hardboard) as well, but I think an Alucobond coated with polyester could be a good option just as Mr. Merrill stated back in the early 2000s.

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2023-04-16 00:07:04]

hi, the thing is for metal panel you had to worry the adhesion of your polyester coating. even it is manufacture do that for you, it still has risk of being delamination due to the natural of metal surface. think about how easy a car paint can peel off from its metal. 

and these product had not developed for archival purpose to use in mind, so not see a good reason to use them. 

also, metal will expand much more than oil layer, that will result a cracking, even your polyest is inert to RH. but metal is sensitive to temp change. 

but wood substrate had been used in hisotry and is proven to last. and engineered wood trying to solve common wood issue. 

​and tempered hardboard is porous to accept bonding to acrylic gesso, that i had take a test to apply acrylic gesso on top and use a knife to scrap it, and found it aheres wood layer off, so it means it really bonds. 

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2023-04-16 12:03:50]

​Hi, thank you again for your reply. I understand your statement. I have read a lot of information regarding that substarte, and some people still are doubtful on that substrate as well. It could be possible, though, to glue the polyester fabric onto a tempered hardboard.

The main problem then is tempered or untempered hardboard availabilty here in Spain, as MDF is mainly the only wood substrate of this kind I have been able to find so far. 

I can find them through Jackson's, which ships here, but also a problemartic is size: there are artworks I want to create that would be 2 meters in size, which would be too heavy for a wooden panel to not suffer planar deformation, an also even harder to find. I don't know if Ampersand creates, and much less ships, such panel sizes. 

​Ahh if only a truly archival, synthetic support were readily available... 

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2023-04-17 00:19:40]

hi, i not sure why you want to glue polyester fabric on any substrate? it is okay to glue but my concern is the fabric pattern on polyester is too mechanical that these regular pattern shows on the picture looks not natural. also i experienced a cracking of polyester canvas before. 

​and for tempered hardboard, you no need to buy from art store, it is commonly available construction material in lumberyard, so you just go there can buy a very large size and cut to what you need. it is exactly the samething you will order from art store but charges you 20X more! 

r​

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2023-04-17 06:33:05]

​About the fabric you are correct, although my plan was to cover the patter with a slightly thick lead oil ground on top of the acrilyc gesso. 

I can ask in a wood store I know here. Also, I have read the tempered ones are less desirable than untempered, as the former accepts more readily the acrylic gesso, bonds better, according a few opinions in this forum. 

​Still wood's sensitivity to RH, temperature and bugs are something that concern me...

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2023-04-17 16:02:48]

hi, Lead oil ground is a traditional type of ground, with the lead that makes it dries fast, lean and relative flexible. however it is still has the same property of drying oil, which is less flexible compared to acrylic and suspect of cracking during age, where acrylic will not crack over time. and when you make it thick, it will be fatter, oilly and more suspect of cracking. usually oil ground is applied in relatively thinner layer. 

some people still prefer lead oil ground but i think acrylic is a good alternative of modern material. 

you are correct to read people concerns about tempered hardboard, and i actually did a test myself that apply acrylic gesso on tempered, and using a knife to scrap it off, and found it always peels off a thin wood layer off, which means it is very good adhesion. 

​untempered is hard to find in store because its structure is not very rigid compared with tempered one. and since it is tempered, it is less subject to environmental changes. and of course, you best to apply isolation layer all around, maybe a varnish or wood sealant like shellac. i personally using the same picture varnish all around the wood panel. 

take your own test and you should love it. ​

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2023-04-19 09:24:35]

​These a fair points indeed. I will test it, definitelly.

​About the lead oil ground, I think maybe, no matter the support, it would be an option to apply it in thin layers as you mentioned on top of an acrylic gesso. I am not too fond of painting directly with oils on acrylic gesso, the feel of it is not something I like too much. Would it be a sound practice?

EditDelete

Moderator Answer (gwatson@goldenpaints.com)

[2023-04-19 11:21:02]

HI Jesus,

A lot of back and forth here already, but just wanted to share a couple thoughts. We have found Oil Ground over Acrylic Gesso (acrylic dispersion ground) to be quite effective. It usually takes about 3 layers of Acrylic Gesso​ to block the potential for oil penetration into the fibers of the linen or canvas. If you like a smoother surface, you can apply both the Acrylic Gesso and the Oil Ground with a trowel or soft plastic blade such as a Bondo scraper, available at most hardware stores. Thin applications are best. We recommend allowing the Acrylic Gesso to dry for at least 3 days before applying the ground or painting with oils directly. 

As for ACM having manufacturing flaws that would cause the polyester coating to delaminate from the metal, we have never seen that issue develop in the many years we have worked with Dibond or other brands of ACM. While it is possible to bend a corner if the panel were to fall to the ground, that is also a potential with other types of wooden substrates. And while fluctuations in temperature may be an issue in the extreme, most interior environments do not tend to fluctuate so intensely that the painting would be at risk in the majority of scenarios. In general, ACM seems to be a rather durable, reliable substrate for most applications. It is manufactured for exterior archetectural applications and for signs, which will experience much more difficult environmental conditions that an interior painting. Scuffing the surface and cleaning with isopropyl alcohol should prepare the ACM for adhering linen or canvas with either a reverable adhesive or a permanent acrylic gel or medium. But hardboard is good too. 

Best wishes,

Greg

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2023-04-20 00:25:21]

Hi, no need to worry about oil on acrylic as it is proven of good adhesion. i mean even you apply oil ground, then what you put underneath is still acrylic sealer, unless you use rabbit skin glue. 

​i had seen delamination of coating on metal support in some cases. but anyway, they are designed for outdoor display, which doesnt really have requirement of hundered years achivability. but i mean it could work for you, just feel it is very expensive for large size. 

so i think get tempered hardboard from your lumberyard, you will get a cheap but achival surface after you apply acrylic gesso on top. 

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2023-04-23 12:50:07]

Hello Greg, thank you so much for your reply. I am glad to read that both ACM and tempered hardboard are considered to be good alternatives if coated with acrylic gesso and then oil ground. After mulling it over, I think both are almost equal in terms of stability. I think I will have to give them both a try to make my final decission. 

Another question about the fabric weave being visible, I am curious, would it be a good approach then to cover the polyester fabric with 3-4 layers of acrylic gesso (with in between layers sanding) to cover the fabric's pattern, and then applying the oil ground on that flatter acrylic surface, in case I go for the polyester glued ACM? I would love to do so, as if there in one thing I am sure is that I can't stand the fabric weave being visible in the actual final painting. If so, i think I would try to go for this option first, as the weight of a craddled tempered hardboard would be quite troublesome to deal with for 1,5-2 meters paintings.

​Also, this question is for anyone who may know. I have already received a few samples of Sunbrella fabric (recommended by Ross Merrill as possibly the best option for painting on ppolyester), but I am still doubtful on how to remove the hidrophobic coating applied on it. It would be interesting to remove it to enhance acrylic gesso adhesion. I asked Sunbrella, but they couldn't tell me a specific way to get rid of it. So far I have just figured out this is a fluorocarbon finish​. If anyone can chime in on how to safely remove it, I would be truly grateful.  

Kind regards, 

Jesus

EditDelete

[2023-04-24 17:18:03]

​Hi Jesus,

Golden Molding Paste or simialr products can be used to fill the weave of fabric to reduce the texture. It usually takes 3-4 knifed on coats to reduce a medium weave. Then a coat or two of Oil Ground should finish it off. Oil Ground without solvent does not shrink like acrylic and can be very effective at filling texture. Here is a video about filling weave with Molding Paste, try it with a Bondo scraper for faster action: https://www.goldenpaints.com/videos/creating-a-smooth-surface-using-molding-paste

Oil Ground can go over 3 coats of​ either Molding Paste or Gesso. ​Perhaps you can try this technique on a small scape to get the hang of it before attempting it on a large surface. 

Sunbrella is a nice sturdy synthetic fabric, but a water resistant coating does not sound like a good place to start. There are many types of polyester fabric with different style weaves that can be used instead. Polyflax or something similar may be worth looking into. Readily available at most art supply.

Best wishes,

Greg

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2023-04-26 09:22:36]

Hello Greg, thank you so much for your thorough explanation. I had never heard of Molding Pastes before, but they definitely seem to be the solution to my concern. 

May I ask, for the sake of learning, what is the difference between them and acrylic gesso? I imagine that they are safe and equally archival compared to acrylic gessos, but I want to specifically ask on their compositional difference. 

​As for the fabrics, I have already spotted a website from UK which sells Fredrix's 100% polyester canvases, which is a relief being located in Europe. I will try to get some soon and start testing them, can't wait. ​

Kind regards,

Jesús

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2023-04-26 12:50:29]

hi Jesús,

​i am very courious that since you already used hard sustrate, then why you still want to glue fabric canvas but to even out fabric texture, rather than painting on hard substrate directly? 

usually people who prefer to paint on fabric is because they like the wavy pattern that grabs their paint in the way they like the friction and it holds up thicker paints. 

but i see you want to even out the texture using thick acrylic medium. first if you paint directly on hard substrate like your metal panel or tempered hardboard, it is already a smooth surface without wavy pattern. second, the key for anything is to apply thinnly, if it is thick, it will had risk of cracking, so to even out the wavy pattern, probably is time consuming and i am not really see any benefit of doing so. ​

EditDelete

[2023-04-26 17:14:11]

​​Molding Paste is a thicker material and mostly contains calcium carbonate/chalk. Acrylic Gesso is much thinner, can be applied with a brush and has calcium carbonate as well, but also titanium white pigment other ingredients to balance absorbency, tooth/micro texture on the surface. ​Different brands have different thickness Acrylic Gesso with varible working properties. 

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2023-04-27 04:39:19]

​​​Hi. thank you both for your replies. 

To the first reply (apologies, I can't see your name), my interest in a mounted canvas is twofold:

First, I am concerned about directly painting on the ACM panel as I am dubious on how good the adhesrence of gesso and paint will be over time. In the resources PDFs XIM-UMA or DTM bonding primers are adviced to apply after sanding the polyester coating of the panel to improved adherence of the posterior gesso layers. Apart from not liking the fact of using industrial ​products not meant for fine arts, I can't get them here in Europe, so that's another problem added. I can get Zinsser Bulls Eye, but still, industrial product, SID or failure of the primer could happen in the future. 

Maybe that's not a problem, or ​perhaps I can safely paint on an ACM after sanding the polyester coating and applying a few layers of acrylic gesso, but I worry about the lifespan of that process. 

The second reason is reversibility: both hardboards and ACM panels suffer from the same, the concern of breaking corners and the impossibility to fix them. So having the painting resting in a canvas mounted to the panels seems to be a good precaution, just in case. I certainly agree with you though, the extra steps of adding the molding paste are tedious, but unless I am wrong in my previous statements, these are my reasons. Of course, anyone is welcome to chime in and tell me otherwise, I am open minded, and the simplest approach would be the most desirable, in the end.

Again, thank you so much for the information, Greg. I have been told by Michael Skalka himself to size and then apply a few acrylic gesso coats to prepare the fabric before any oil application. How would this process be best adapted in case of adding the molding paste in the recipe, after the sizing? 

I understand then that the molding paste is also an archival product. Regarding acrylic gessos, I have read good reviews of Lascaux, still have to get some to try. Any other molding paste and gesso you would recommend to check?

​Thank you so much for your time, I appreciate a lot all the information I am learning here.

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2023-04-27 14:19:52]

Hi Jesus,

​you are more than welcome and your concern is reasonable, however here is actually my thoughts. if you using tempered hardboard, you should not worry about long term adhesion of acrylic ground or your oil grounds. as it is still a wood but engineered one and wood is a proven substrate in history. 

and you can cradel it up to protect the corners, once it well protect, it is not easily to beak there. 

or another tip is you always paint smaller than the panel size, because when you frame it, the frame also covers a portion, and if you do so, you wont worry about any corner breakage and even break, it is easy to fix by wood work. 

i was also trying to glue canvas before, but i found problem of doing so. the glue or acrylic product is relatively too thin for the coarse side of fabric, so i found some area is unglued after a time, maybe got absorbed by the fabric, so it turns out a partial glued canvas. 

in addition, it is not really reversible as we think, because the glue is permenant actually.

so after these test, i end up painting directly on it. 

but plz do your own test and try all the options and maybe comeback here to share your experient result as well! 

looking forward! 

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2023-04-27 15:13:21]

That's exactly the reason why I will try to find and test a tempered hardboard as you suggest. I am yet to find a place were to confirm availability and quality here, but at least for the sake of learning, It's worth the effort. It would though be a problem with larger panels (some paintings of mine are going to reach 2 meters, hence my interest on craddled ACM for the light weight, will have to weigh options in those scenarios). 

You actually have a great point with regards of the smaller than the support painting, hilarious how the fact a tiny part of the picture is going to be covered by ​the frame had completely skipped my mind. In that case, in fact, I am less worried on the margins even if painting towards the end (a couple cms would be of no importance for any of my pictures, so it can be both hidden by the frame or/and removed if damaged in the future). 

Gluing a canvas would indeed​ require a proper system/process to properly do it. However, my idea would be to use a conservation thermoset glue​, like Beba 371 or Jade. If I am correct, both can be activated again with heat, so any imprfection can be corrected, and can be separated from the support if necessary. I would never go for a permanent support, specially before the possible scenario you mentioned, having badly glued spots here and there. 

I will definitely check and test both options, and hope to find the best option and share it with you all. I am a bit obssesive in such topics, and want to make a final decission this year already. 

​​​Kind regards!

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2023-05-04 06:56:18]

​​Hi, quick update: here in Spain neither tempered nor untempered hardboard exist, nobody in any main lumberyard​ here in Madrid knew what I was talking about, so seemingly I will have to stick to ACM for the asdhession tests and the large artworks I want to do, importing large hardboard panels from abroad is simply crazy and wouldn't be affordable. 

I will start testing adhesion in a Dibond plate I have got, crossing fingers.​

Kind regards, 

Jesus

EditDelete

Moderator Answer (koo schadler)

[2023-05-04 08:38:56]

​​Hi Jesus,

Have you read this post on MITRA? ​

https://www.artcons.udel.edu/mitra/forums/question?QID=1954 

It offers some thoughts on hardboard and MDF.  If you can't find hardboard in your area perhaps you can find MDF, which may be a viable alternative for you.

Koo Schadler

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2024-01-12 00:44:28]

Someone in this thread posted that metal expands and shrinks more than wood products. That is the opposite of the chart I saw. It showed that aluminum is more stable than any kind of wood except perhaps the finest quality hardwood that has been cut the correct (and rare) way. That wood requires old growth hardwood trees so it's typically not environmentally friendly. It's also heavy and expensive.

I don't recommend anything other than aluminum based on everything I have read. I especially would avoid plywood and other processed wood products.

— SRS​

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Page Settings and MetaData:
(Not Shown on the Page)
Page Settings
MITRA
No
MetaData for Search Engine Optimization
MITRA Forum Question Details
restricted