Toggle Navigation

Open the Navigation Management window, which can be used to view the full current branch of the menu tree, and edit it.

CONNECT
InstagramFacebook

MITRA Forum Question Details

Image Picker for Section 0
Move Down

Move this whole section down, swapping places with the section below it.

Code Cleaner

Check for and fix problems in the body text. Text pasted in from other sources may contain malformed HTML which the code cleaner will remove.

Accordion is OFF

Accordion feature turned off, click to turn on.

Accordion is ON

Accordion featurd turned on, click to turn off.

Image Rendition

Change the way the image is cropped for this page layout.

Media Size

Cycle through size options for this image or video.

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Align the media panel to the right/left in this section.

Insert Image

Open the image pane in this body section. Click in the image pane to select an image from the image library.

Insert Video

Open the video pane in this body section. Click in the video pane to embed a video. Click ? for step-by-step instructions.

Remove Image

Remove the image from the media panel. This does not delete the image from the library.

Remove Video

Remove the video from the media panel.

​​​​​​​​​​​

Mysterious Discoloration ApproveRejectUn-ApproveSubscribeUn-Unsubscribe

Question asked 2021-03-11 21:28:29 ... Most recent comment 2021-03-14 21:35:21
Oil Paint

​Hello MITRA forum, I just experienced an oil painting disaster. A series of oil paintings with Titanium white backgrounds yellowed and dulled after several months in my studio storage. Where did I go wrong?! Was it my ground? Oil paint pigment? Medium? Varnish? All of the above?! These are the materials I used: 

1. RSG sizing on portrait linen over maple board.

2. Acrylic gesso ground (100% acrylic polymer).

3. Titanium white oil paint for the subject backgrounds. Paint tube notes Titanium Dioxide in safflower and poppy oil.

4. Neo Meglip medium. Described as a contemporary version of Maroger. Contains Petroleum Naphta.

5. Satin archival varnish. A mineral spirit acrylic aerosol w/UVLS. The fine print notes contains: Acetone, Propane, N-butane, Petroleum Distillates, Solvent Naphta, Trimethylbenzene.

Thank you for your thoughts!

Maryam

Move Up

Move this whole section up, swapping places with the section above it.

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Check for and fix problems in the body text. Text pasted in from other sources may contain malformed HTML which the code cleaner will remove.

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Open the image pane in this body section. Click in the image pane to select an image from the image library.

Insert Video

Open the video pane in this body section. Click in the video pane to embed a video. Click ? for step-by-step instructions.

Remove Image

Remove the image from the media panel. This does not delete the image from the library.

Remove Video

EditDelete

Moderator Answer (brian baade)

[2021-03-11 22:02:48]

Hi

Just a couple of questions first. How were the paintings stored? Were they in the dark for extended periods of time? How much medium was added?

While this has nothing to do with yellowing, why use RSG under an acrylic dispersion ground? They are not incompatible but there is really no reason to use the two together. You would be better to either use a stiffer acrylic dispersion size or even better, more layers of acrylic dispersion ground over a more standard acrylic dispersion size.

EditDelete

Moderator Answer (mkinsey)

[2021-03-12 06:40:01]

Regarding RSG and acrylic dispersion painting ground: maybe not incompatible, but I have seen crazing occur when a thinned application of acrylic gesso was layered over RSG. The water content of the gesso had obviously swelled or softened the glue and the primer split as it dried. The resulting film was firmly attached, and actually, if one were trying to achieve that effect, it would have been a perfect example!​

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2021-03-12 10:38:05]

​Brian and Matthew, just a quick addition on using RSG. I like the strong adhesion of the linen to the maple board. The one time I tried acrylic dispersion size, it may not have been the correct material, but there were air bubbles. I didn't get the strong, even, adhesion I was looking for.

EditDelete

[2021-03-12 13:23:19]

Matthew

That is true. In fact, back when I did faux finishing, I remember a recipe to create craqueleur by first coating a surface with animal glue and then overpainting it with latex paint. This is, in essence, the same layering as we have here.

EditDelete

[2021-03-12 14:13:21]

​To the OP

Have you read over our instructions for adhering fabric to panel in our resources section in the PDF entitled “Rigid Supports” ?

https://www.artcons.udel.edu/mitra/resources

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2021-03-12 15:38:35]

​Thank you for the link Brian. I just read it. Very informative! My apologies, I responded to your storage and medium question on the main page of the forum. Sorry about that. I am still trying to figure out the yellowing issue. 

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2021-03-12 15:50:02]

I doubt it's the varnish.

The Neo Meglip will be an alkyd which might cause a little yellowing, but not I imagine to the degree of "disaster." 

Do you know if the titanium white is solely titianum oxide without any zinc white?  Many years past I tested a series of whites and was surprised how much a titianum white bound in poppy or safflower had yellowed in a room not exposed to much sunlight.  It was a single pigment artists range proporting to be of highest quality.  Although the painted sample was lean I believed there might have been an very slight and even surface float of poppy oil in drying. This was not present in the titanium/zinc mixes, the lead/zinc safflower mixes, or the lead in safflower.  The only sample that yellowed more was a lead/zinc primer in linseed. 

Zinc oxide seems to reduce yellowing.  Unfortunately it also increases embrittlement.  Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Marc.​

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2021-03-12 17:05:51]

​Thank you Marc! The fancy Italian oil paint says purely Titanium Dioxide as the pigment. Interesting about the varnish not being the culprit and the Galkyd medium possibly responsible. I completely agree with you about "Damned if you do, damned if you don't". That is right on!

Maryam

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2021-03-13 16:39:49]

Was it Maimeri Puro Titanium white?  Because that's the colour with which I had the unexpected degree of yellowing. (Abet in a slightly gloomly studio.)  I didn't mention it by name previously because it was so many years ago and I didn't want to presume it still had that same trait.​

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2021-03-14 11:29:54]

​YES!!! Yikes! That is exactly the paint I used! Thank you for sharing your experience. I am thinking of using Gamblin's Radiant White for the background of the next series. Do you think all Galkyd mediums will yellow? Thanks, Maryam

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2021-03-14 15:16:39]

Gamblin products haven't been available until recently in my country.  Import of oil painting mediums by air is judged problematic. So to get to the point, I havent tried them. However I have heard their Galkyds are low yellowing.  They're almost all certainly lower yellowing than linseed oil.  

Jonathan Linton did a 5 year whites yellowing test which can be found online. Each white was only one sample however so it's possible that one sweeze from the tube could have variations in results due to oil separation.  Also those paints might now have different formulations.  The Radiant white yellowed considerably in the thick , but not much in the thin.  It looks a lot like loose oil from the top of the tube, so I don't completely trust the sample.  Can't help much beyond that I'm afraid.

Marc​

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2021-03-14 20:27:12]

​Marc, thank you so much for pointing out the Jonathan Linton White Test. As my husband Nick, a fellow painter, says "worth many prostrations."  You have been super helpful! As I try to figure things out, I am heartened by Claude Monet's "Color is my daylong obsession, joy, and torment."

EditDelete

[2021-03-14 21:35:21]

The Jonathan Linton tests are admirable, but I do not think that this should in any way be seen as definitive in terms of brand choice. It seems to me that the only way to do a halfway representative test would be to expel all of the oil paint from a tube and then mix it to a homogenous consistency. Only then should the color be applied to a consistent substrate. It would also have to be done using a drawdown tool so that the thickness od the compared paints are uniform. Even with this there may be very slight differences in terms of proportion of oil in the same brand and the same batch due to settling. The presence and amounts of any stabilizer or thickeners from brand to brand would have a pronounced affect on yellowing (as they have little covering power) even if the exact same pigments and oil are used.

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Page Settings and MetaData:
(Not Shown on the Page)
Page Settings
MITRA
No
MetaData for Search Engine Optimization
MITRA Forum Question Details
restricted