Toggle Navigation

Open the Navigation Management window, which can be used to view the full current branch of the menu tree, and edit it.

CONNECT
InstagramFacebook

MITRA Forum Question Details

Image Picker for Section 0
Move Down

Move this whole section down, swapping places with the section below it.

Code Cleaner

Check for and fix problems in the body text. Text pasted in from other sources may contain malformed HTML which the code cleaner will remove.

Accordion is OFF

Accordion feature turned off, click to turn on.

Accordion is ON

Accordion featurd turned on, click to turn off.

Image Rendition

Change the way the image is cropped for this page layout.

Media Size

Cycle through size options for this image or video.

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Align the media panel to the right/left in this section.

Insert Image

Open the image pane in this body section. Click in the image pane to select an image from the image library.

Insert Video

Open the video pane in this body section. Click in the video pane to embed a video. Click ? for step-by-step instructions.

Remove Image

Remove the image from the media panel. This does not delete the image from the library.

Remove Video

Remove the video from the media panel.

​​​​​​​​​​​

PVA for sizingApproveRejectUn-ApproveSubscribeUn-Unsubscribe

Question asked 2021-03-02 13:58:27 ... Most recent comment 2021-07-13 22:06:03
Sizes and Adhesives

Hello all,

I have a question about PVA for linen sizing:

My understanding is that the linen industry has mostly stepped away from using RSG due to its hygroscopic nature and has moved towards PVA for its durability and longevity.  However, I just read that Winsor and Newton advises against PVA for sizing because it will “disintegrate prematurely leaving the remaining painting with no foundations”. Is there research to back up or refute this claim? 

Thank you for any insights you may have.

Best, 

Kimberly 

Move Up

Move this whole section up, swapping places with the section above it.

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Check for and fix problems in the body text. Text pasted in from other sources may contain malformed HTML which the code cleaner will remove.

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Open the image pane in this body section. Click in the image pane to select an image from the image library.

Insert Video

Open the video pane in this body section. Click in the video pane to embed a video. Click ? for step-by-step instructions.

Remove Image

Remove the image from the media panel. This does not delete the image from the library.

Remove Video

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2021-03-02 15:43:09]

​*Correction: Winsor & Newton advised against PVA for priming. I took them to mean the sizing, as the statement was within an article about sizing and preparing canvas. I would like to make that clarification so as to not misrepresent them.*

Regardless, if PVA could disintigrate as a primer, would the same concern not also hold for its use as a size?

EditDelete

Moderator Answer (mkinsey)

[2021-03-02 16:13:35]

PVA is available in a number of forms as consumer products and art supplies, so I think it would be too broad to say this material is overall unreliable. Not all PVA products are equally durable; the ones sold as artists' sizings and archival adhesives are made for permanent applications on objects intended to survive into antique age. Scholastic-grade glues and stationery products generally don't carry any assurances of permanence.

Personally, I have always gotten the best results using acrylic-based sizings. There are some which even rival RSG for stiffness. ​

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2021-03-04 16:22:41]

Hi Matthew, thank you for your response. I am trying to learn more about linen preparation, and I was alarmed when I read that PVA priming could disintegrate. I wanted to check here to see if there was new research on the suitability of PVA as a substitute for RSG. I see now that there are many forms of PVA, and I have reached out to W&N to clarify to which form they were referring.

I also have a question about linen sized with RSG if you could help:

How quickly does RSG sized linen shrink and expand when exposed to humidity outside of the acceptable range? Could a few hours of exposure lead to surface cracking, or is the main concern days or weeks of exposure over the course of decades?

Thank you for your help.

Best,

Kimberly 

EditDelete

Moderator Answer (brian baade)

[2021-03-04 16:46:53]

The most damage occurs when there are rapid and wide fluctuations RH, more so than very slow changes. That is true unless that RH gets above 85% when the RSG has no rigidity at all contributes no support. The canvas is then free to shrink and the paint can do little but crack or delaminate. This is far more dangerous with older paintings where the oil paint has become very brittle over time.

I am with Matthew on PVA vs acrylic dispersion sizes. I see no reason to choose PVA over the later. 

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2021-03-10 17:45:55]

Hi Brian, thank you for the response. I will look into some acrylic options.

Best, Kimberly 

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2021-07-12 09:49:15]

Hello. I have some PVA questions and one about acrylic yellowing.

Can anyone clarify more about the durability of PVA and how the PVA sold to artists is different to the PVA sold to woodworkers or for home use?

A materials researcher and tutor at the Slade Art School  says "PVA is prone to deterioration and should be avoided." 

I thought it might dry up/shrink and/or yellow ...

Is there a difference between products marketed to artists as PVA size and those as PVA adhesives?

I had thought that acrylic was a better alternative for sizing. But I also thought acrylic didn't yellow, when used for other aplications, but recently noticed that a painting that used lots of acrylic gel for transparent layers has yellowed considerably in about 15 years. Any ideas about what causes this?

Thanks for your help!

EditDelete

[2021-07-12 14:48:45]

​I have forwarded your question to a couple of relevant moderators

EditDelete

[2021-07-12 19:36:06]

​ ​All organic coatings will yellow to some degree. High quality acrylic dispersion mediums formulated for the fine arts yellow to only the slightest degree. The problem is when the gel is applied in VERY thick layers, even the tiniest of yellowing becomes visible.

EditDelete

Moderator Answer (mirjam hintz)

[2021-07-13 10:13:34]

Hi Kimberly, yes, acrylics as all organic polymers can yellow, but the industry is competitive and paint manufacturers are continuously improving their formulations. Thus good quality acrylics mediums today might be significantly more resistant to yellowing than the product you used 15 years ago. Furthermore, yellowing does not necessarily mean that the mechanical stability of the coating is compromised. ​​

EditDelete

[2021-07-13 22:06:03]

The problem with this line of questioning is a discussing PVA as if it were one material.  If fact it is a class of materials.  When CCI did their long study of PVA and acrylic adhesives (https://www.iiconservation.org/node/877) they included 52 different types of formulations, 

e.g. different types of homo-polymers and co-polymers. The study details that the different formulations gave very different results in terms of acidity, flexibility, and color change.

Some types of PVA formulations performed very well, other types not so well, the same is true for acrylic adhesives.  

I cannot say what any other company is doing. But speaking for Gamblin Artists Colors, in formulating our one product based on PVA, our PVA Sizing,  we chose a type of PVA identified by the CCI study to have low acidity, retain flexibility, and to have low color change.  We then did the testing to determine what concentration of that adhesive would do the work that we have come to expect of rabbit skin glue when used as a sizing. That is, to protect canvas and paper from the penetration by oil into the fibers. 

In terms of the advice I can give in this area, I would not assume that a PVA adhesive on the market formulated to bond wood, paper, or ceramics would necessarily have the properties of stability that we are looking for to make permanent paintings.   These products may perform in a way we would hope, but they also may not.  

I hope this is helpful, 

Robert Gamblin

EditDelete

[2021-07-13 22:08:40]

​Sorry, my last post was truncated due to server issues. Here is what I was trying to write: ​ ​All organic coatings will yellow to some degree. High quality acrylic dispersion mediums formulated for the fine arts yellow to only the slightest degree. The problem is when the gel is applied in VERY thick layers, even the tiniest of yellowing becomes visible.

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Page Settings and MetaData:
(Not Shown on the Page)
Page Settings
MITRA
No
MetaData for Search Engine Optimization
MITRA Forum Question Details
restricted