Toggle Navigation

Open the Navigation Management window, which can be used to view the full current branch of the menu tree, and edit it.

CONNECT
InstagramFacebook

MITRA Forum Question Details

Image Picker for Section 0
Move Down

Move this whole section down, swapping places with the section below it.

Code Cleaner

Check for and fix problems in the body text. Text pasted in from other sources may contain malformed HTML which the code cleaner will remove.

Accordion is OFF

Accordion feature turned off, click to turn on.

Accordion is ON

Accordion featurd turned on, click to turn off.

Image Rendition

Change the way the image is cropped for this page layout.

Media Size

Cycle through size options for this image or video.

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Align the media panel to the right/left in this section.

Insert Image

Open the image pane in this body section. Click in the image pane to select an image from the image library.

Insert Video

Open the video pane in this body section. Click in the video pane to embed a video. Click ? for step-by-step instructions.

Remove Image

Remove the image from the media panel. This does not delete the image from the library.

Remove Video

Remove the video from the media panel.

​​​​​​​​​​​

venetians schools 6-9 coats of size/primer for linen canvasApproveRejectUn-ApproveSubscribeUn-Unsubscribe

Question asked 2021-02-20 19:32:59 ... Most recent comment 2021-02-22 11:44:26
Animal Glue Grounds / Priming Flexible Supports Sizes and Adhesives

​Hello Mitra,

I read a while back that since the venetian school was painting on linen, and not wood, that they had to put less coats of size and gesso on their canvases.  Something along the lines of 6-9 coats.   These size coats and gesso coats (gesso sutile) were done thinly too.  This was done so that the size and gesso wouldnt crack due to the flexibility of the canvas.  I also read that this was also one of the reasons they went thicker with their paint.  The thicker paint served as an extra protection from the atmosphere.

Are 6-9 coats on linen fine?

Best Regards,

Hector

Move Up

Move this whole section up, swapping places with the section above it.

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Check for and fix problems in the body text. Text pasted in from other sources may contain malformed HTML which the code cleaner will remove.

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Open the image pane in this body section. Click in the image pane to select an image from the image library.

Insert Video

Open the video pane in this body section. Click in the video pane to embed a video. Click ? for step-by-step instructions.

Remove Image

Remove the image from the media panel. This does not delete the image from the library.

Remove Video

EditDelete

Moderator Answer (brian baade)

[2021-02-20 21:13:03]

I will respond in greater detail later but first want to state that I find this number of size and gesso layers very unlikely. 6-7 layers of gesso covering 2-3 layers of size is sufficient for a wooden panel, as long as there is not going to be heavily punched water gilding. Such a large amount of gesso would be extremely brittle on a fabric support. Where did you read about this?

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2021-02-21 02:33:33]

Hello Brian,

I have to search for it through the books I have because I cant remember the source right now.  Thanks for taking the time to answer. I am looking forward to what else you have to add on.  ​

EditDelete

[2021-02-21 21:33:35]

​I will wait until you reply with references before responding. Thanks.

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2021-02-21 22:05:55]

Hello Brian,

I wish I could.  I went back to try and find something but i couldnt.  The closes thing was the 6 coats for wood in the Meyer book refering to the cennini method.  Im starting think that the number 6-9 might have been for panel painting and I am incorrectly mixing it with application for linen.  I apologize I know these kinds of errors have to muddy up the waters heavily for conservators.  

Best Regards,

Hector  ​

EditDelete

[2021-02-22 11:43:20]

Hi Hector

Technical art history, the study of historical manuscripts (codicology), and the scientific examination of paintings has progressed by leap and bounds since Mayer wrote his tome. First, I need to state that ground preparation was more diverse than though and there could certainly be outliers. Additionally, this heterogeneity increases when comparing one reason to another and especially in the centuries after the 1400s. Maartje Stols-Wotlox is one of the leaving experts in the world on European grounds for paintings. One can also consult cross-section by others and other technical studies. I do not want to appear to be an expert on grounds used in Venetian Renaissance painting; but the following is my synopsis of what I have read from truly informed sources:

One or more layers of sizing, usually, animal glue, although starch appears to have been periodically employed.

A very thin gesso ground (again starch bound gypsum is a possibility for some). Often this ground appears to have been scraped into the interstices of the fabric. No matter what this needed to be thin as any real thickness would have been very brittle and likely to crack and delaminate.

This was very often covered by another layer (often termed imprimatura, although today many think of this layer as being very transparent, that is not always the case), often composed of pigments in oil but sometimes clear oil. The oil containing layer served to cut the absorbency, facilitation paint application. It also could suffuse the brittle lower ground providing some flexibility.

When red or dark ground come into fashion (Tintoretto and El Greco are early users of such grounds) they were  often made by sizing and then scraping on a thin gesso ground. This was then covered with an oil containing priming, often composed of palette scrapings.

As you progress into the mid and later 16th century there is more heterogeneity. Some use the double ground system while others abandon the lower, water-soluble ground for just oil grounds. Grounds becomes even more varied as the decades and centuries progress.

The above is a massive oversimplification and I am sure that Maartje and others could nitpick some of my over generations. However, it is essentially what we believe about grounds from the period you mention. Additionally, while I cannot give you the exact number ground layers that a specific Venetian Renaissance art would use, it is highly unlikely to be the number suggested by your readings.  

EditDelete

[2021-02-22 11:44:26]

​Sorry, I just read you last post, that number does make far more sense for panel, although it may of may not be sufficient for complicate gilding techniques.

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Page Settings and MetaData:
(Not Shown on the Page)
Page Settings
MITRA
No
MetaData for Search Engine Optimization
MITRA Forum Question Details
restricted