Toggle Navigation

Open the Navigation Management window, which can be used to view the full current branch of the menu tree, and edit it.

CONNECT
InstagramFacebook

MITRA Forum Question Details

Image Picker for Section 0
Move Down

Move this whole section down, swapping places with the section below it.

Code Cleaner

Check for and fix problems in the body text. Text pasted in from other sources may contain malformed HTML which the code cleaner will remove.

Accordion is OFF

Accordion feature turned off, click to turn on.

Accordion is ON

Accordion featurd turned on, click to turn off.

Image Rendition

Change the way the image is cropped for this page layout.

Media Size

Cycle through size options for this image or video.

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Align the media panel to the right/left in this section.

Insert Image

Open the image pane in this body section. Click in the image pane to select an image from the image library.

Insert Video

Open the video pane in this body section. Click in the video pane to embed a video. Click ? for step-by-step instructions.

Remove Image

Remove the image from the media panel. This does not delete the image from the library.

Remove Video

Remove the video from the media panel.

​​​​​​​​​​​

Mediums for oilsApproveRejectUn-ApproveSubscribeUn-Unsubscribe

Question asked 2020-10-30 13:08:19 ... Most recent comment 2020-10-30 21:14:44

​Hello again! When I use mediums is it best to stick to one type at the beginning? We experimented with an oil butter, sand and other stuff for a cool texture. 

Move Up

Move this whole section up, swapping places with the section above it.

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Check for and fix problems in the body text. Text pasted in from other sources may contain malformed HTML which the code cleaner will remove.

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Open the image pane in this body section. Click in the image pane to select an image from the image library.

Insert Video

Open the video pane in this body section. Click in the video pane to embed a video. Click ? for step-by-step instructions.

Remove Image

Remove the image from the media panel. This does not delete the image from the library.

Remove Video

EditDelete

Moderator Answer (brian baade)

[2020-10-30 21:14:44]

​​

Hi

I am going to answer both of you questions in the same post. You mention the experimentation with “oil  butter” and sand as texturizers. That is certainly valid, but it seems to me putting the cart before the horse in terms of learning to paint. This is not to say that such experimentation is useful, it is and please learn as much as you can. Store that info away for when you want to express something that requires those effects.

My response below is how I would answer one of my students at the university if they asked about learning to paint in oil. There are many who would think that my answer is overly traditional or restricting. However, I am responding about how to begin learning to paint in oils, not how to become an artist. These are not mutually exclusive in any way , but they are different questions.

While this may seem strange for me to write since my forte is on technical issues in painting, I believe that people who are just beginning to paint should just focus on painting as many works as possible, without getting bogged down with technical issues. I mean quality practice, striving to achieve the best work possible but not obsessing on the same work over a long period of time and certainly not trying to use some rarified paint additive or super expensive substrate. You will eventually realize that these early works are just steppingstones to developing a skill. Don’t treat them as precious at the beginning. They are more like a young pianist practicing scales, not the rudiments of creating a symphony.

If you are interested in representational art, even if you have no interest in realism, I suggest that you try to paint from life at least for the short term. It will never hurt your art in the long run.

Also, either use paint as it comes from the tube or with a minimal addition of solvent. Try to accomplish the work in as few layers as possible. Make additional versions of the same composition if necessary. It is preferable to make many, many paintings when you start rather than trying to perfect a few. It takes a lot of experience to become adept at painting. Do not waste your time trying to perfect your works at the beginning. As you develop, you will see those early works as what they are, initial attempts. It is better to move on and see gradual improvement. If, as you improve, you find that you absolutely “need” some additional paint medium on later layers, use a commonly available alkyd oil mediums or some stand oil or linseed oil thinned with an appropriate solvent. When you have developed an understanding of the possibilities of oil paint handling you can experiment with the addition of small amounts of other mediums for special effects. That is in the future, so please ignore this subject for now.

At first you probably do not need the highest quality paint although you should transition to better lines as soon as you develop some control of the medium. You should use good quality brushes; they do not need to be very expensive, but they should hold their shape. You mention taking a painting class. Get some experience there and come back with more technical questions after you learn how the medium moves and develop some skill in color matching and paint manipulation.

Please take the above in the manner in which it was meant, as my honest advice. I have seen so many neophyte painters get bogged down trying to get the best oil primed linen,  the “perfect” painting medium, and a collection of kolinsky sable brushes, that they became to paralyzed to actually learn how to paint.

Finally, I do love the subtle and sometimes not so subtle differences that quality paints, different additives/amendments, etc. can add to paintings. Let’s talk about these in the future.

EditDelete

Moderator Answer (koo schadler)

[2020-10-31 07:56:17]

So much excellent advice from Brian - I read it a couple of times to take it all in.   

It can be helpful for beginning painters to distinguish between two distinct (albeit overlapping) skills: 

1. learning about literal paint (how to mix it, manipulate it, etc.)

2. learning the formal, "visual language" of painting: values, color (degree of chroma, color temperature), edges (hard/diffuse, lost/found), shapes, etc.  

For example, a painter can become very skillful at manipulating oil paint, yet know nothing about organizing values (which is the bedrock of compelling visual imagery).  Or, you can become skillful at organizing values, and then apply that knowledge to any medium.  So, even though I became an egg tempera painter, I initially studied with two classically trained oil painters.  What they taught me about values, color, etc., was completely applicable to the medium I eventually committed to.  

As Brian notes, it takes a lot of time to become adept at painting- be sure to give yourself time. And if you are attentive to both technical know-how and formal visual elements (how to recognize and organize them), I promise you'll never be bored!

EditDelete

Moderator Answer (brian baade)

[2020-10-31 13:55:10]

Thanks Koo

And thank you for your additions. I was initially somewhat leery of answering this post as the response could be huge. There is just so much more that can be said but it could water down the central message that I wanted to express. I was thinking this morning of adding some thoughts but am very pleased to see that your comment has filled in the gaps admirably.

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Page Settings and MetaData:
(Not Shown on the Page)
Page Settings
MITRA
No
MetaData for Search Engine Optimization
MITRA Forum Question Details
restricted