Toggle Navigation

Open the Navigation Management window, which can be used to view the full current branch of the menu tree, and edit it.

CONNECT
InstagramFacebook

MITRA Forum Question Details

Image Picker for Section 0
Move Down

Move this whole section down, swapping places with the section below it.

Code Cleaner

Check for and fix problems in the body text. Text pasted in from other sources may contain malformed HTML which the code cleaner will remove.

Accordion is OFF

Accordion feature turned off, click to turn on.

Accordion is ON

Accordion featurd turned on, click to turn off.

Image Rendition

Change the way the image is cropped for this page layout.

Media Size

Cycle through size options for this image or video.

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Align the media panel to the right/left in this section.

Insert Image

Open the image pane in this body section. Click in the image pane to select an image from the image library.

Insert Video

Open the video pane in this body section. Click in the video pane to embed a video. Click ? for step-by-step instructions.

Remove Image

Remove the image from the media panel. This does not delete the image from the library.

Remove Video

Remove the video from the media panel.

​​​​​​​​​​​

Delamination of 1st or 2nd color layer while applying a coucheApproveRejectUn-ApproveSubscribeUn-Unsubscribe

Question asked 2020-09-26 21:23:41 ... Most recent comment 2020-10-05 14:18:18

​Hello Everyone,

I find that when I need to apply a couch to paint into to merge my layers and match my value, sometimes my previous color layer starts wiping off, destroying hours and hours of previous work. This never used to happen when I was more reckless in my early years. But now I paint solvent free and use as little medium as possible. For context I paint on museum quality gesso board (acrylic ground). I use lead white and typically do my underpaintings with a mars color and white or old Holland raw umber. Sometimes I seal my drawing with acrylic matte medium, sometimes just a light layer of raw umber and lead white. What I can't seem to figure out is if my under layers are underbound or if the couche I'm applying is the cause of delamination. It was my belief that a couch would not only make each new layer fatter but INCREASE adhesion and not the opposite. I typically use oleogel or walnut gel as a medium. Does anyone know what could be causing this issue?

Move Up

Move this whole section up, swapping places with the section above it.

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Check for and fix problems in the body text. Text pasted in from other sources may contain malformed HTML which the code cleaner will remove.

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Open the image pane in this body section. Click in the image pane to select an image from the image library.

Insert Video

Open the video pane in this body section. Click in the video pane to embed a video. Click ? for step-by-step instructions.

Remove Image

Remove the image from the media panel. This does not delete the image from the library.

Remove Video

EditDelete

Moderator Answer (brian baade)

[2020-09-26 23:21:33]

I am not sure that I can completely and satisfactorily answer your dilemma with just the info at hand. I wonder how long you are waiting before applying subsequent layers? Is the isolation acrylic dispersion layer perhaps creating a slick surface diminishing adhesion? (I see no reason to lock in an underdrawing for oil painting when applied over a “relatively” non-absorbent surface, as compared to a chalk-glue ground or true gesso). Is your couch truly solvent free? What else has changed from your previous practice? If you are working solvent free it would seem that your underlayers would be fully bound, perhaps they are overbound? This has always been a worry of mine when people speak about solvent free painting. It is certainly a sound idea, but it needs to be approached as thoughtfully as solvent thinned oil painting.

As to a couch of medium, the concept is fine as long as you are going to cover all of it with pigmented layers. Please see our Resources “Varnishes” section for particulars about oiling out.

I have honestly never had this happen when oil painting, except as a student when painting on an overly fat surface or when I stupidly tried to apply a coating in an overly aromatic solvent over recently oil layers for some foolish expedient.

Let us know the answers to the above and hopefully I/we can be of more help working through this difficulty.

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2020-09-28 13:35:15]

​I had this problem when using a well known alkyd medium. Well I didn't use a couch, but the the second layer would partially dissolve the first.  The more medium I used, the worse it got.  I deduced the effect was caused by the alkyd medium quick dry setting up, but not being truely dry the next day.  The solvents already within the gell medium then acted on the first layer when painting the second.  Your cause however may not be the same,

Marc.

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2020-10-04 22:38:33]

​Thank you for the quick response. This particular painting is on golden acrylic ground. The underpainting was done with raw umber and lead white. the first color layer was then done with no medium and a limited pallete of mainly mars colors. This was initially for a show in June but because of Covid-19 it was pushed to December so I took a hiatus on the painting. So that color layer had quite a few months to dry. I then applied a couch of oleogel from Rublev and applied a second layer, this time with a more open pallete of opaques and transparents. After about 8 days I repeated this process and while applying another couch the paint began wiping off, only in very specific spots. Particularly in the lightest areas where the most lead white is. (The underpainting is done similar to that of Rembrandt). When I noticed it delaminatiing I abandoned that sitting and waited another week and a half. But alas, last night it happened again in the upper area of the form. This time I just scrubbed that whole layer off and repainted it. This also happened on another painting except in the black glazed areas. However that painting was done with a mars black/lead white grissaile and on gray acrylic ground and later layered with a leaded glass medium that does contain solvent. I'm completely baffled.

John.

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2020-10-04 23:10:24]

​Oh and to answer your other question. I'd say that the main thing that has changed in my process is that when I was younger I was much more liberal with my use of medium. I'd use medium from the very beginning to the end. Dipping in medium and into paint carelessly. Now I barely use it. In fact, I only really need medium to bring back the surface so I can match my values as I try and finish my work. That and to make my later layers a little fatter. Also, when I "seal" my drawing, its less about sealing it as it is just to tone my substrate so I'm not starting on a white surface. Could it be that gel mediums arent quite mixing with the paint when I apply a couch and therefore kind of getting sealed wet, between a dry layer and a wet layer?

EditDelete

Moderator Answer (george o'hanlon)

[2020-10-05 13:33:13]

​Rubelv Colours Oleogel consists almost entirely of linseed oil without solvents and driers, so it is hard to imagine that it could be the cause of this issue. However, it would be good to eliminate it as a cause by substituting it with linseeed oil for your couches.

Many artists believe that the application of "couches" or a layer of pure medium or oil onto dried paint increases the strength of the paint film, but I am not aware of any evidence or studies that bear this out.

Unless there is a need to match colors between dried paint passaages and new paint, there is little reason to oil out or apply a couch before each painting session.

In terms of what may be causing paint to lift off when applying the couch you need to look closely at the structure of the underlying paint film. You did not state it but did you apply the underlying paint with a solvent? How much Oleogel was added to the paint? When paint is lifting off, does it expose the ground?

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2020-10-05 14:11:09]

​Hello George,

I use absolutely zero solvent in my process. Typically when the paint lifting happens its when I'm in the process of removing any excess oil. I can't stress enough how little medium I use. Sometimes I use a makeup sponge and no matter how gentle I am, it'll lift paint off in some areas. I started to worry that perhaps there was vitamin E in the sponge so I just bought new ones that have no additives. The other day I used a squirrel hair to apply it as thin as possible and it happened again. Mind you, this is only on one figure of a 3 figure composition. Everything else in the painting has been fine throughout the process. This seems to be a common occurance in a few of my paintings. There is always one spot that just doesn't accept the 1st or 2nd color layer. And to answer your 3rd question. It appears that the paint only lifts off down to the underpainting. The underpainting always seems stable. But I wanna add that this issue has happened on top of all different underpaintings. Some done with mars black/lead white, mars brown/lead white, raw umber/lead white staight out of the tube. No medium, no solvent. 

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2020-10-05 14:18:18]

​I also want to add that my first few layers of paint without medium or a couch are very sunken in because I paint very thin and mainly use synthetic oxides. Which is why I find the need to add a couch as I get further along because most times, the whole painting is dull.

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Page Settings and MetaData:
(Not Shown on the Page)
Page Settings
MITRA
No
MetaData for Search Engine Optimization
MITRA Forum Question Details
restricted