Skip to Main Content
Sign In
Toggle Navigation

Open the Navigation Management window, which can be used to view the full current branch of the menu tree, and edit it.

  • Instagram
  • Facebook

MITRA Forum Question Details

Image Picker for Section 0


  • Circa 1850 portraitApproveRejectUn-ApproveSubscribeUn-Unsubscribe
    Question asked 2016-11-10 18:05:59 ... Most recent comment 2016-11-10 19:10:00
    Art Conservation Topics
    I inherited an oil portrait which is starting to show some damage, cracking especially in the very dark areas of the hair where the paint is thick. There are some tiny missing chips of paint as well. What can I do to prevent further damage and protect this paint as much as possible? Thank you, Mona

Answers and Comments

  • EditDeleteModerator AnswerHi Mona, Thank you first and foremost for seeking out proper ways to ensure the protection of your painting ☺ It sounds as if you should definitely seek consultation from a paintings conservator, preferably one that is a Professional Associate Member of the American Institute for Conservation (AIC) and/or holds a Masters Degree in Conservation from a recognized program (e.g. not an M.F.A. for example). Be sure to ask about these things when you locate a conservator near you by entering your zip code in AIC’s “Find a Conservator” search engine which you can find here:
    Kristin deGhetaldi
    2016-11-10 21:34:50
  • EditDeleteModerator AnswerEverything that Kristin stated is of the foremost importance. I also want to point you to our Storage, Exhibition, and Handling section which has a wealth of info about the some of the ways to prevent or mitigate future or continued damage to paintings and other artworks. This can be accessed here
    Baade, Brian
    2016-11-10 23:46:04
  • ApproveRejectUn-ApproveUser CommentThank you Kristin and Brian. I wonder whether there is a similar institute in Canada?
    2016-12-18 10:55:19
  • EditDeleteModerator Answer

    ​Yes in fact there is. You can contact Queen's University if you are in or nearby Kingston or you can contact this association which has a listed of certified conservators on hand:​

    Kristin deGhetaldi
    2016-12-18 11:04:48

Page Settings and MetaData:
(Not Shown on the Page)
Page Settings
MetaData for Search Engine Optimization
MITRA Forum Question Details
This page cannot be accessed until you accept the Terms of Use, which can be found here.
Please note that this Terms of Use system uses cookies. If you have cookies disabled you will not be able to accept the agreement. If you delete our cookies you will need to re-accept the Terms of Use.
  • The Department of Art Conservation
  • 303 Old College
  • University of Delaware
  • Newark, DE 19716, USA
  • Phone: 302-831-3489