Skip to Main Content
Sign In
Toggle Navigation

Open the Navigation Management window, which can be used to view the full current branch of the menu tree, and edit it.

CONNECT
  • Instagram
  • Facebook

MITRA Forum Question Details

Image Picker for Section 0

ForumQuestion

• Beading of oil or varnish on a dried oil paint surfaceApproveRejectUn-ApproveSubscribeUn-Unsubscribe
    Question asked 2020-01-06 18:38:12 ... Most recent comment 2020-01-07 17:34:24
    Varnishes Oil Paint
    Question

when trying to oil out dull areas, glaze or put a varnish over my paintings in some areas the medium, varnish or thinned paint just beads up. It is difficult to cover with anything except straight paint. I use Williamsburg and Winsdor and Newton paints lightly thinned with linseed oil on a lead grounded high quality linen canvas. I've been told to use toluene in the varnish or medium. 

Answers and Comments

• EditDeleteModerator Answer

Beading is a really common behavior in oil paints where layered techniques are concerned. Overcoming this behavior is one of the key functions of varnish in a painting medium, to add tack. Traditional remedies included rubbing a clove of garlic on the paint surface. One of our paint chemists a while ago suggested wiping the painting with household ammonia to reduce gloss and render the surface more receptive prior to glazing. I have also read that some artists use odorless mineral spirits for the same purpose, or alternately mechanically abrade with extremely fine steel wool.  ‚ÄčI wouldn't consider toluene a safe enough solvent for use in the studio, not as a component of medium. 

Matthew Kinsey, Utrecht Art Supplies
    2020-01-07 17:34:24

Page Settings and MetaData:
(Not Shown on the Page)
Page Settings
question
No
MetaData for Search Engine Optimization
MITRA Forum Question Details
restricted
This page cannot be accessed until you accept the Terms of Use, which can be found here.
Please note that this Terms of Use system uses cookies. If you have cookies disabled you will not be able to accept the agreement. If you delete our cookies you will need to re-accept the Terms of Use.
  • The Department of Art Conservation
  • 303 Old College
  • University of Delaware
  • Newark, DE 19716, USA
  • Phone: 302-831-3489
  • art-conservation@udel.edu