recently read an article on this forum re water-miscible oils (2019-11-16) . This has rekindled my interest in using them again. I first started using W & N Artisan oils over 10 years ago, and off-and-on since. Problem is that if you use water as a thinner it evaporates almost instantaneously leaving a very short open-time. This was a big turn-off for me.
I have got their associated thinner (Artisan THINNER) which stays open for at least an hour and great stuff for altering an initial drawing/lay-in. (I only use it for the initial drawing). On specific questioning W & N advise to use a maximum dilution of 1:2 by volume ( 1x part oils : 2 x parts thinner). I usually use a bit less thinner than this. They stated that it was non-toxic also. (I realize that there can be a problem with this description in some cases)
At the above ratio it does all the things I used to use turps for and, hopefully, a lot less toxic. Which is what I really want to know, ie., just how safe is this thinner?
I checked the MSDS for the product which states that: " This product has been certified by ACMI to carry the AP (Approved Product) seal, meaning this product bears no chronic or acute human health hazards". The Artisan literature also states exact same reference.
Specifically, under the heading 'Inhalation' it states no specific symptoms known. Also, not classified as a specific target organ toxicant after repeated exposure. Skin contact also had "No specific symptoms known".
The only caution was that it could cause irritation to eyes and mucous membranes; also that thermal decomposition.......may include harmful gases or vapors. However, is stable under normal ambient condions.
Initial boiling point >100 deg.C at 760mmHg.
In my home studio I have a portable fan that I could place in the windows, but the noise is irritating. I also have open windows. However, in the colder weather I can only have them slightly open (there is a small cross-flow thru these windows from facing rooms) because my hands have an extreme reaction to the cold. If I opened the windows to any large degree I would have to wear gloves so thick that I could not handle a paint brush.
Can I safely use this Artisan thinner with minimal cross-ventilation (I only use about 2 - 3 mls (5 mls at the absolute max.) during any one session)?
Do you have any other information that could cause me to be more cautious?
Really appreciate your expert advice, as usual.
Many thanks in advance.