Skip to Main Content
Sign In
Toggle Navigation

Open the Navigation Management window, which can be used to view the full current branch of the menu tree, and edit it.

CONNECT
  • Instagram
  • Facebook

MITRA Forum Question Details

Image Picker for Section 0

ForumQuestion

• yupo paperApproveRejectUn-ApproveSubscribeUn-Unsubscribe
    Question asked 2019-11-03 15:49:52 ... Most recent comment 2019-11-05 16:42:40
    Art Conservation Topics
    Question

​Can you paint on yupo paper with oil and will it absorb enough to not peel off over time.  Is it archival/

Answers and Comments
  • EditDeleteModerator Answer

​According to the distributor, Legion Paper FAQ's:

"Is YUPO archival when used with oil paints?

YUPO is a totally inert material and therefore is completely archival. However, the composition of the oils being used will ultimately determine the painting's overall longevity."

Of course, that doesn't speak to overall suitability as a support for oil painting, or how well oil paint adheres to a Yupo surface. It seems rough enough to promote a mechanical bond, but because Yupo is flexible and non-absorbent, personally I would avoid thick, continuous films and heavy impasto. Our conservation experts may have thoughts on treatment challenges unique to this material, including how easily an oil paint film might lift from Yupo during cleaning.

Matthew Kinsey, Utrecht Art Supplies
    2019-11-04 16:03:30
  • EditDeleteModerator Answer

​Also, when most artists say "archival" what they mean is something like "durable to the standards of permanent art" or "guaranteed to stand the test of time". I have always maintained that "archival" really means something more like "safe for long-term contact with valuable objects". Not all archival preservation supplies are suitable for making permanent art, and not all art materials are safe for use in archival storage. I'm sure I've written this here before, but I feel it's important to post for the benefit of the broader audience.

Matthew Kinsey, Utrecht Art Supplies
    2019-11-05 16:42:40
Page Settings and MetaData:
(Not Shown on the Page)
Page Settings
question
No
MetaData for Search Engine Optimization
MITRA Forum Question Details
restricted
This page cannot be accessed until you accept the Terms of Use, which can be found here.
Please note that this Terms of Use system uses cookies. If you have cookies disabled you will not be able to accept the agreement. If you delete our cookies you will need to re-accept the Terms of Use.
  • The Department of Art Conservation
  • 303 Old College
  • University of Delaware
  • Newark, DE 19716, USA
  • Phone: 302-831-3489
  • art-conservation@udel.edu