Skip to Main Content
Sign In
Toggle Navigation

Open the Navigation Management window, which can be used to view the full current branch of the menu tree, and edit it.

CONNECT
  • Instagram
  • Facebook

MITRA Forum Question Details

Image Picker for Section 0

ForumQuestion

• Need for sealing under oil grounds over acrylic primer on hardboard? ApproveRejectUn-ApproveSubscribeUn-Unsubscribe
    Question asked 2019-07-20 12:26:50 ... Most recent comment 2019-07-20 20:45:10
    Grounds / Priming
    Question

​Dear Moderators Please excuse my "test" question posted prior to this one. I've been having a lot of trouble with the question form. This is the 3rd time I've tried to post this question. I have primed a number of unsealed hardboard panels with 3 coats of acrylic primer and plan to follow up with 2 coats of lead primer. Should I have sealed the panels first eg with a PVA or acrylic resin emulsion? Looking forward to your responses. Kind regards, Jenny

Answers and Comments
  • EditDeleteModerator Answer

The decision to seal before applying an acrylic dispersion ground to a panel is up to you. It is technically not necessary in this instance. It is a good idea to size fabric supports before applying an acrylic dispersion ground, but this is more for keeping the ground from seeping through the canvas. It is, however, absolutely necessary to size a fabric support (a few layers of acrylic dispersion ground would also function) before applying an oil ground as the acids in the oil adversely affect the cellulose.

Brian Baade
    2019-07-20 12:54:20
  • ApproveRejectUn-ApproveUser Comment

​Thank you Brian. Glad to hear that. Cheers, Jenny

2019-07-20 20:45:10
Page Settings and MetaData:
(Not Shown on the Page)
Page Settings
question
No
MetaData for Search Engine Optimization
MITRA Forum Question Details
restricted
This page cannot be accessed until you accept the Terms of Use, which can be found here.
Please note that this Terms of Use system uses cookies. If you have cookies disabled you will not be able to accept the agreement. If you delete our cookies you will need to re-accept the Terms of Use.
  • The Department of Art Conservation
  • 303 Old College
  • University of Delaware
  • Newark, DE 19716, USA
  • Phone: 302-831-3489
  • art-conservation@udel.edu