Skip to Main Content
Sign In
Toggle Navigation

Open the Navigation Management window, which can be used to view the full current branch of the menu tree, and edit it.

CONNECT
  • Instagram
  • Facebook

MITRA Forum Question Details

Image Picker for Section 0

ForumQuestion

• Using heat to remove dents in stretched canvasesApproveRejectUn-ApproveSubscribeUn-Unsubscribe
    Question asked 2019-04-19 18:28:43 ... Most recent comment 2019-04-19 19:38:09
    Drying Oils Flexible Supports Oil Paint
    Question

​Regarding an oil painting on stretched canvas, I have heard a suggestion that one can use an iron on a low heat on the reverse side to flatten dents or folds.
    Elsewhere, it was said that heat will damage oil paint.
    I'm pretty sure that I have read that applying heat is an acceptible technique from a qualified source, but can't remember where.

Csn you please give you views on this.
    (Assume that the paint layer is thin, flat and smooth.)

Answers and Comments
  • EditDeleteModerator Answer

I do not want to come off snooty here but both results are a possibility, which is why we never suggest conservation treatments on this forum.  

Brian Baade
    2019-04-19 19:38:09
Page Settings and MetaData:
(Not Shown on the Page)
Page Settings
question
No
MetaData for Search Engine Optimization
MITRA Forum Question Details
restricted
This page cannot be accessed until you accept the Terms of Use, which can be found here.
Please note that this Terms of Use system uses cookies. If you have cookies disabled you will not be able to accept the agreement. If you delete our cookies you will need to re-accept the Terms of Use.
  • The Department of Art Conservation
  • 303 Old College
  • University of Delaware
  • Newark, DE 19716, USA
  • Phone: 302-831-3489
  • art-conservation@udel.edu