Skip to Main Content
Sign In
Toggle Navigation

Open the Navigation Management window, which can be used to view the full current branch of the menu tree, and edit it.

CONNECT
  • Instagram
  • Facebook

MITRA Forum Question Details

Image Picker for Section 0

ForumQuestion

• Varnishing the EdgesApproveRejectUn-ApproveSubscribeUn-Unsubscribe
    Question asked 2018-10-19 22:27:58 ... Most recent comment 2018-10-23 10:52:51
    Varnishes Oil Paint
    Question

​Hello,

I was wondering if the edges of a painting should be varnished as well, or just the front of it? I paint the edges too so I figure I should varnish it but I wanted to seek professional opinions here. 

Answers and Comments
  • EditDeleteModerator Answer

I see no problem varnishing the edges of a painting especially if they have been painted or at least sized.  You should make sure to wait until the varnish is truly dry before putting it into a frame.

Brian Baade
    2018-10-20 09:50:07
  • ApproveRejectUn-ApproveUser Comment

​Thanks Brian!

I don't frame my work, so I don't have to worry about that. How long does varnish typically take to dry fully? I use GamVar

2018-10-23 01:44:30
  • EditDeleteModerator Answer

It depends on a number of factors. These include the temperature, relative humidity, how thickly the varnish is applied, but also the type of varnish and solvent. Gamvar should dry very quickly in the suggested solvents. Gamblin states that a thin coat is dry in 18-24 hours. Given the possible variables. I would wait two days just to be confident.

Brian Baade
    2018-10-23 10:52:51
Page Settings and MetaData:
(Not Shown on the Page)
Page Settings
question
No
MetaData for Search Engine Optimization
MITRA Forum Question Details
restricted
This page cannot be accessed until you accept the Terms of Use, which can be found here.
Please note that this Terms of Use system uses cookies. If you have cookies disabled you will not be able to accept the agreement. If you delete our cookies you will need to re-accept the Terms of Use.
  • The Department of Art Conservation
  • 303 Old College
  • University of Delaware
  • Newark, DE 19716, USA
  • Phone: 302-831-3489
  • art-conservation@udel.edu