Skip to Main Content
Sign In
Toggle Navigation

Open the Navigation Management window, which can be used to view the full current branch of the menu tree, and edit it.

CONNECT
  • Instagram
  • Facebook

MITRA Forum Question Details

Image Picker for Section 0

ForumQuestion

• Non-Toxic Solvent ProductApproveRejectUn-ApproveSubscribeUn-Unsubscribe
    Question asked 2018-08-29 23:00:19 ... Most recent comment 2018-08-30 10:41:23
    Oil Paint Paint Mediums Solvents and Thinners
    Question

​Hello MITRA folks.

I just came across this product, and wondered if anyone here has had any experience (especially using it as a toning or underpainting medium) with this product, Natral Earth Paint "Eco Solve?" https://www.naturalearthpaint.com/products/eco-solve

Thanks for any thoughts!

Answers and Comments
  • EditDeleteModerator Answer

​I personally have not used this particular "eco-friendly" solvent. But you may want to click on our "Health and Safety" filter button if you are interested in previous threads on similar products. A quick look at the SDS of this solvent and it appears to mostly contain hydrotreated heavy naphtha (so I would first read over this related thread here). The other ingredient is rather small (1-5%) and is classified as citrus terpenes. Honestly there have not been enough studies as to how the latter may effect the health of the paint film in the short or long term and therefore we usually advise against using substantial amounts of these types of products. But at such a low percentage I am not sure there needs to be the same amount of concern here.

Kristin deGhetaldi
    2018-08-30 07:58:06
  • ApproveRejectUn-ApproveUser Comment

​Thanks so much, Kristin...I will look at your links here. I follow that "better safe than sorry" approach too, so I appreciate the cautionary note.

2018-08-30 10:41:23
Page Settings and MetaData:
(Not Shown on the Page)
Page Settings
question
No
MetaData for Search Engine Optimization
MITRA Forum Question Details
restricted
This page cannot be accessed until you accept the Terms of Use, which can be found here.
Please note that this Terms of Use system uses cookies. If you have cookies disabled you will not be able to accept the agreement. If you delete our cookies you will need to re-accept the Terms of Use.
  • The Department of Art Conservation
  • 303 Old College
  • University of Delaware
  • Newark, DE 19716, USA
  • Phone: 302-831-3489
  • art-conservation@udel.edu