Toggle Navigation

Open the Navigation Management window, which can be used to view the full current branch of the menu tree, and edit it.

CONNECT
InstagramFacebook

MITRA Forum Question Details

Image Picker for Section 0
Move Down

Move this whole section down, swapping places with the section below it.

Code Cleaner

Check for and fix problems in the body text. Text pasted in from other sources may contain malformed HTML which the code cleaner will remove.

Accordion is OFF

Accordion feature turned off, click to turn on.

Accordion is ON

Accordion featurd turned on, click to turn off.

Image Rendition

Change the way the image is cropped for this page layout.

Media Size

Cycle through size options for this image or video.

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Align the media panel to the right/left in this section.

Insert Image

Open the image pane in this body section. Click in the image pane to select an image from the image library.

Insert Video

Open the video pane in this body section. Click in the video pane to embed a video. Click ? for step-by-step instructions.

Remove Image

Remove the image from the media panel. This does not delete the image from the library.

Remove Video

Remove the video from the media panel.

​​​​​​​​​​​

Need information - priming of linen canvasApproveRejectUn-ApproveSubscribeUn-Unsubscribe

Question asked 2018-07-26 00:24:06 ... Most recent comment 2018-07-27 23:51:58
Grounds / Priming Industrial and Non-Traditional Products

​Hello everyone,

I have a question regarded priming of linen canvas. I have streched over 100 canvases and glued them with rabbit skin glue, and want to know that what would be the best primer over the glue which is reliable and trustworthy. I know that old masters used oil primer, but I have got so much different information that I am really confused. Someone told me that I can just buy regular acrylic paint which we use in homes for interior and make three coats of it on canvas, while others says that I should use oil primer. Some people go for the gesso version.

What about the glue, next time, should I use GAC400/200/100 insted of rabbit skin glue?

I have seen 19th centuries paintings on galleries, and the are almost vanished. The oil is cracking and the conditions are very bad. I saw a Picasso in gallery, and that was almost finito. This means that paintings which are made on acrylic background are not reliable.  

Move Up

Move this whole section up, swapping places with the section above it.

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Check for and fix problems in the body text. Text pasted in from other sources may contain malformed HTML which the code cleaner will remove.

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Open the image pane in this body section. Click in the image pane to select an image from the image library.

Insert Video

Open the video pane in this body section. Click in the video pane to embed a video. Click ? for step-by-step instructions.

Remove Image

Remove the image from the media panel. This does not delete the image from the library.

Remove Video

EditDelete

Moderator Answer (kdeghetal)

[2018-07-26 15:40:32]

So it sounds like you are asking two questions here. What should I size my linen canvas with and what should I prime my linen canvas with?

To answer that I think it would be helpful to first have a look at our Resources section and read over the documents "Adhesives and Sizes" and "Grounds and Primers."

There are pros and cons to everything….are you using oil paints in a traditional sense? That will help us to narrow things down a bit. You can certainly use acrylic sizes and/or grounds with oil paints (read the documents cited above and also look in the references section as Golden has published a fair bit about this in their Just Paint online technical newsletter). And you can certainly use rabbit skin glue. With glue, however, we typically recommend adhering your linen canvas to a rigid support as glue remains reactive to water in the atmosphere and is often what can lead to cracking and/or deformation (I would NOT use traditional glue-based gesso on linen canvas unless it is applied to a rigid support). Note however that there are plenty of examples of Old Master paintings that have RSG sizing and are doing just fine. Conversely there are many Old Master paintings that have needed conservation intervention b/c of the glue sizing…

But this leads me to your last statement….Picasso was not using acrylics as WE know acrylics (they were different from the acrylic paints that you buy on the shelf today)….he did occasionally experiment with a paint called "Ripolin" which was an industrial enamel paint. One cannot really tell simply by looking at a painting which passages contain Ripolin and which contain oil IF there IS indeed Ripolin in the painting. This is why the conservation science community has had to employ very sophisticated imaging techniques in order to identify passages containing Ripolin (and even then it can be difficult). The condition of any painting is dependent on MANY factors. Materials of course play an important role. But so does the conservation/restoration history of the painting, how it was displayed/stored, etc., etc. So unless all of these factors are known it is really impossible to blame the condition of a work solely on its appearance.

As far as using acrylic latex house paint, I would recommend reading one of our older threads that can be found here: https://www.artcons.udel.edu/mitra/forums/question?QID=403 

I realize I have thrown a lot of reading at you! But do please let us know if you are still confused about something or have additional questions....

EditDelete

Moderator Answer (mkinsey)

[2018-07-27 16:42:52]

​We recommend that artists do not apply acrylic dipersion painting ground (gesso) over RSG. As Kristin points out, a water-based primer will cause a glue sizing to swell, and the acrylic layer will usually craze as it dries.

EditDelete

Moderator Answer (brian baade)

[2018-07-27 23:51:58]

Matthew Thanks for adding the adding the additional clarifying sentences here. We always know what we mean but not always, what others will take away from what we write.

Yes, acrylic or latex paint over a coat of animal glue is one of the easier methods of creating craquelure faux finishes. Not at all appropriate for the creation of a stable, smooth ground, though.

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Page Settings and MetaData:
(Not Shown on the Page)
Page Settings
MITRA
No
MetaData for Search Engine Optimization
MITRA Forum Question Details
restricted