Skip to Main Content
Sign In
Toggle Navigation

Open the Navigation Management window, which can be used to view the full current branch of the menu tree, and edit it.

CONNECT
  • Instagram
  • Facebook

MITRA Forum Question Details

Image Picker for Section 0

ForumQuestion

• Rigid SupportsApproveRejectUn-ApproveSubscribeUn-Unsubscribe
    Question asked 2018-04-24 11:23:00 ... Most recent comment 2018-04-24 22:30:12
    Rigid Supports Sizes and Adhesives
    Question

​I have decided to make custom 48" x 72" single-layer wood panels.  I plan to use a 1/4" plywood or MDF panel over a 2" plywood cradle with cross struts every 24" with corner bracing.  Is there an archival preference for plywood or MDF?  Could you would recommend a wood variety or brand of MFD?  Are plywood cradle struts better than a solid wood cradle, such as poplar?  I will apply two (2) coats of Acrylic Gel Medium.  I will then apply 1/4" to 1/2" of textured modeling paste before I apply acrylic paints.  Are there any issues I should consider with very thick modeling paste, such a reinforcement? thanks

Answers and Comments
  • EditDeleteModerator Answer

1/4" plywood seems pretty thin for a panel of those dimensions. I understand there is a big advantage in lighter weight compared to fiberboard, but I would be concerned that the cross braces might be visible through the front of the panel. If you are limiting options to common construction panel materials, have you considered thicker MDO plywood instead?​

Matthew Kinsey, Utrecht Art Supplies
    2018-04-24 17:04:57
  • EditDeleteModerator Answer

It is generally preferable to continue on the same thread. I am assuming that you sre contiuing from a previous thread which cn be found here. I hope the info is of help.

Brian Baade
    2018-04-24 22:30:12
Page Settings and MetaData:
(Not Shown on the Page)
Page Settings
question
No
MetaData for Search Engine Optimization
MITRA Forum Question Details
restricted
This page cannot be accessed until you accept the Terms of Use, which can be found here.
Please note that this Terms of Use system uses cookies. If you have cookies disabled you will not be able to accept the agreement. If you delete our cookies you will need to re-accept the Terms of Use.
  • The Department of Art Conservation
  • 303 Old College
  • University of Delaware
  • Newark, DE 19716, USA
  • Phone: 302-831-3489
  • art-conservation@udel.edu