Sign In
  • UD Search
Toggle Navigation

Open the Navigation Management window, which can be used to view the full current branch of the menu tree, and edit it.

CONNECT
  • Facebook

MITRA Forum Question Details

Image Picker for Section 0

ForumQuestion

• Ampersand Museum Clayboard for ScratchboardApproveRejectUn-ApproveSubscribeUn-Unsubscribe
    Question asked 2017-11-16 13:20:58 ... Most recent comment 2017-11-16 15:45:16
    Rigid Supports
    Question

Is it true that the hardboard used for the museum grade clayboard used for scratchboard is acid-free? Do I need to worry about outgassing? When I painted an "X" across the back to help prevent warpage, the Golden Titanium White acrylic paint immediately turned yellowish in hue. Why? As a precaution, should I coat the sides and back with GAC 100+500 (since it's chily in the house)?​

Answers and Comments
  • EditDeleteModerator Answer

​We have representatives from Amperstand on our industry contacts so I will send them this question to answer.

Brian Baade
    2017-11-16 14:45:34
  • ApproveRejectUn-ApproveUser Comment

Ampersand seals the face of our panels before adding our specialty grounds, such as our Claybord coating, because all raw wood (including our Hardbord) contains acidic materials.  Our seal creates a barrier layer that prevents acid migration into the ground and paint layers, making the painting surface acid-free. If you painted an "X" with titanium white, directly onto the (exposed and unsealed) back of the panel, then you painted with acrylics directly onto the raw wood, which would allow the acids to discolor the paint. When sealing wood for painting, GAC 100 will work well to block the acids in wood, and can be used on the back of our wooden panels to seal that surface if you choose to do so. The back side of our panels is not the intended painting surface and has not been sealed as a part of their construction. Again, the painting surface has been sealed before priming and is acid-free, but the panel back is still exposed, raw wood. 

2017-11-16 15:37:06
  • ApproveRejectUn-ApproveUser Comment

​The comment above was posted by Dana Brown at Ampersand Art Supply. I mistakenly posted it before signing it.   

Dana Brown | Ampersand Art Supply

2017-11-16 15:45:16
Page Settings and MetaData:
(Not Shown on the Page)
Page Settings
question
No
MetaData for Search Engine Optimization
MITRA Forum Question Details
restricted
This page cannot be accessed until you accept the Terms of Use, which can be found here.
Please note that this Terms of Use system uses cookies. If you have cookies disabled you will not be able to accept the agreement. If you delete our cookies you will need to re-accept the Terms of Use.
  • The Department of Art Conservation
  • 303 Old College
  • University of Delaware
  • Newark, DE 19716, USA
  • Phone: 302-831-3489
  • art-conservation@udel.edu