Sign In
  • UD Search
Toggle Navigation

Open the Navigation Management window, which can be used to view the full current branch of the menu tree, and edit it.

CONNECT
  • Facebook

MITRA Forum Question Details

Image Picker for Section 0

ForumQuestion

• Tempera GrassaApproveRejectUn-ApproveSubscribeUn-Unsubscribe
    Question asked 2017-09-19 19:10:46 ... Most recent comment 2017-09-20 16:11:02
    Egg Tempera
    Question

I'm planning some paintings in tempera grassa.  I've worked before in the medium, using an emulsion of egg yolk and sun-thickened linseed, almost equal parts each but a bit more yolk so it's water-soluble. The paint had good working properties, but I'd like a bit more hardness and shine, as one would get by adding dammar (which many tempera grassa recipes call for) but which I don't want to add (because of the negative attributes of dammar).  Is there another resin I could incorporate for a similar affect?  Would any of the modern synthetic resins be a possibility?

Thanks,

Koo Schadler

Answers and Comments
  • EditDeleteModerator Answer

Hi Koo

I would not use any of the synthetic resins used in conservation for this purpose, even those known to be compatible with oils. The problem is that their virtue (similar solubility after aging) is their real deficit in this instance. Have you experimented with alkyd mediums for this purpose? I have not performed these tests nor read about any studies, but they would seem a logical replacement. The stability and insolubility of these resins would be greatly appreciated if they work for your technique. In lieu of this and if you really desire the handling and hardness of a resin, use dammar or perhaps even a true copal medium if you have some on hand. The copal will yellow and become more brittle but it does become less and less soluble over time.

No matter what, and as always, please record you medium use on the back of your artwork ;)

Brian Baade
    2017-09-19 21:56:00
  • ApproveRejectUn-ApproveUser Comment

‚ÄčI haven't tried adding an alkyd - I'll experiment and let you know how it works.  Thanks, Koo

2017-09-20 16:11:02
Page Settings and MetaData:
(Not Shown on the Page)
Page Settings
question
No
MetaData for Search Engine Optimization
MITRA Forum Question Details
restricted
This page cannot be accessed until you accept the Terms of Use, which can be found here.
Please note that this Terms of Use system uses cookies. If you have cookies disabled you will not be able to accept the agreement. If you delete our cookies you will need to re-accept the Terms of Use.
  • The Department of Art Conservation
  • 303 Old College
  • University of Delaware
  • Newark, DE 19716, USA
  • Phone: 302-831-3489
  • art-conservation@udel.edu