Toggle Navigation

Open the Navigation Management window, which can be used to view the full current branch of the menu tree, and edit it.

CONNECT
InstagramFacebook

MITRA Forum Question Details

Image Picker for Section 0
Move Down

Move this whole section down, swapping places with the section below it.

Code Cleaner

Check for and fix problems in the body text. Text pasted in from other sources may contain malformed HTML which the code cleaner will remove.

Accordion is OFF

Accordion feature turned off, click to turn on.

Accordion is ON

Accordion featurd turned on, click to turn off.

Image Rendition

Change the way the image is cropped for this page layout.

Media Size

Cycle through size options for this image or video.

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Align the media panel to the right/left in this section.

Insert Image

Open the image pane in this body section. Click in the image pane to select an image from the image library.

Insert Video

Open the video pane in this body section. Click in the video pane to embed a video. Click ? for step-by-step instructions.

Remove Image

Remove the image from the media panel. This does not delete the image from the library.

Remove Video

Remove the video from the media panel.

​​​​​​​​​​​

Watercolor Paint LossApproveRejectUn-ApproveSubscribeUn-Unsubscribe

Question asked 2017-07-13 10:14:14 ... Most recent comment 2017-08-18 12:41:36
Watercolor

A student recently showed me some watercolors of his that have a problem, hoping I could decipher it, but I don't know what's going on. Throughout several paintings there are areas where the paint is  (in his words) "disappearing" - initially the paint went on fine, but over time there are patches of paint loss that look a bit like a bug has been nibbling; or, another way to describe it, looks like someone pressed a paper towel with a squirrely pattern to areas of the paint while it was wet, lifting the paint (although, as mentioned, this problem didn't occur until after the paint had dried). Neither of these are the best description of the problem…I have photos, if there is a way to share images.  The paint loss is not limited to a single color and has occurred on several paintings with different types of supports.  All I could think of was minerals or salts in the water, precipitating out?  Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Koo Schadler

Move Up

Move this whole section up, swapping places with the section above it.

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Check for and fix problems in the body text. Text pasted in from other sources may contain malformed HTML which the code cleaner will remove.

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Open the image pane in this body section. Click in the image pane to select an image from the image library.

Insert Video

Open the video pane in this body section. Click in the video pane to embed a video. Click ? for step-by-step instructions.

Remove Image

Remove the image from the media panel. This does not delete the image from the library.

Remove Video

EditDelete

Moderator Answer (kdeghetal)

[2017-07-13 11:00:53]

​Hi Koo...there is a way to add images. If you can do so that would be very helpful!

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2017-07-13 12:35:30]

S0024715.jpg

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2017-07-13 12:36:20]

S0034719.jpg

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2017-07-13 12:37:06]

S0054724.jpg

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2017-07-13 12:37:36]

S0064727.jpg

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2017-07-13 12:38:31]

​Hi Kristin,

Four images uploaded - hopefully they came through, and hope you can interpret them.  Thanks, Koo

EditDelete

Moderator Answer (mkinsey)

[2017-07-13 14:22:42]

A couple of things I notice upon examining the photos: One of the images appears to show a canvas-like texture in the support. What is the support material? Is it paper, and if so, which brand? Also, it looks like the "vermiform" pattern manifests over both paper and the masking tape at the edges. That makes me think there may be an issue with the binding power of the paint. Do we know which brand of colors, and what the specific palette is? Are some colors more affected than others?

EditDelete

Moderator Answer (gmarcus)

[2017-07-13 14:32:22]

​Hi Koo,

That is a strange situation.  I'm wondering if there is something on the student's brushes?  Are they using a fixative?  Is the student painting in a studio where you can observe them?

EditDelete

Moderator Answer (ssands)

[2017-07-14 12:41:46]

​Hi Koo -  

First there's a pun in that "short" greeting which I will leave untouched but it does make me smile :)

When you say it happened sometime after the paint was applied, can you give a sense of how long the period was? And how were the pieces stored or kept during that time? Anything in contact with the surface? And as was mentioned, knowing the particulars of the brand of paint and the paper would help.

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2017-07-15 13:16:51]

​Hello All,

"Vermiform" was the word I was looking for - thanks for that descriptor.  I sent the student your various questions; his replies are in italics.

1.  One of the images appears to show a canvas-like texture in the support. What is the support material for the watercolors? Is it paper, and if so, which brand?

I believe the support in question (watercolor of pears on a green cloth) is Fredrix archival watercolor canvas board.  The other painting is on 300# Fabriano Artistico cold press watercolor paper. 

2.  Which brand of watercolors?

I'm not sure.  The pears on green cloth was the oldest of those I showed you and then I had some Academy and Cotman watercolors.  I have gotten rid of my ""student" grade watercolors and now use W&N professional, Daniel Smith, and Holbien watercolors.  The second painting (cherries on blue background) was W&N and Daniel Smith of higher quality.

3.   What colors?

The blue paint in cherries painting was a mix of W&N and Daniel Smith, indigo and Prussian blues, crimson red and mars black. 

4.  Any other relevant info?

Daniel Smith masking agent was used and removed.  But, the pattern doesn't have a relationship to the use of the masking areas. 

I use W&N series 7 brushes that were cleaned (at that time) in tap water.  The tap water was used for paint mixing as well.  I thought the water was suspect because it is high in iron and other minerals.  The pH runs slightly to the alkaline.  I've since gone to distilled water for all.  However paintings with this same problem were done in other locations with different water sources.  

I noticed the tracks after a couple weeks, progressing from the corners into the center.  The board was set on an easel in a vertical attitude.  Nothing was on the surface.I have not found a common denominator for the malady.  

Thanks for your help,

Koo

PS.  

Haiku.  Japanese

poem or friendly greeting?

Could be both, Sarah.

(-:

EditDelete

Moderator Answer (kdeghetal)

[2017-07-30 12:27:54]

​Hi Koo...it seems that this problem has stumped a number of us moderators. There are so many variables here...and reassure your student as he seems to have been trying to tackle them one by one (moving away from tap water to distilled water). I think at this point the only words of wisdom left to give is to simply encourage your student to continue down that path. I am sorry that we could not really find a solution here but please keep us updated if you can.

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2017-07-31 12:02:28]

​Thanks for checking back, Kristin - I'll let my student know  the panel was stumped and, on my end, if the student figures out anything more specific I'll let you all know.

Koo

EditDelete

Moderator Answer (mkinsey)

[2017-08-01 20:57:47]

Is the student using anything other than water to thin colors? I have read about paint loss in watercolors due to excessive use of additional Gum Arabic. ​

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2017-08-18 12:41:36]

​Hi.  I just got an email (in italics) from the student with the watercolor problem - perhaps the mystery is solved.

Koo

I just finished another WC workshop with Laurin McCraken. I mentioned the missing paint dilemma to him, as it was a painting that I had done in his class two years ago.

He said "I know the problem, it is the ox gall coming out solution of the watercolor paint."  He says that he has seen this happen before where the paint was laid down very heavy.  After the paint dried it appeared to have "snail tracks" through it.  

Lauren suggest that putting down a heavy coat of watercolor, as in the dark fold of cloth or background, that while the surface is wet that you take a dry brush and 'scumble' the surface to enhance the watercolor mix on the paper.  This might give the ox gall a chance to cure with the rest of the elements.  I think the article in hand print (http://www.handprint.com/HP/WCL/pigmt1.html) supports this idea.

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Page Settings and MetaData:
(Not Shown on the Page)
Page Settings
MITRA
No
MetaData for Search Engine Optimization
MITRA Forum Question Details
restricted