Sign In
  • UD Search
Toggle Navigation

Open the Navigation Management window, which can be used to view the full current branch of the menu tree, and edit it.

CONNECT
  • Facebook

MITRA Forum Question Details

Image Picker for Section 0

ForumQuestion

• SizingApproveRejectUn-ApproveSubscribeUn-Unsubscribe
    Question asked 2017-02-23 12:53:15 ... Most recent comment 2017-02-24 11:51:00
    Rigid Supports Sizes and Adhesives Grounds / Priming
    Question
    When applying a glue size to a fibreboard (MDF) panel, does the strength of the glue need to be stronger than the quantity of glue mix used in gesso?  I have been advised by my supplier to use a stronger formula for the inital sizing (1:10) but I haven't found this advice anywhere else.
Answers and Comments
  • EditDeleteModerator Answer

‚ÄčThe only rationale that i can see for that advice is either to providve a thicker size layer, or more likely, to minimize the amount of water applied to the panel. It does not seem really necessary to vary the proportion in either scenario. The first could be better accomplished by additional layers and the second would only very slightly reduce the water component. There are reasons to use different strengths of glue for different purposes, but I do not think that this situation calls for it.

Baade, Brian
    2017-02-24 14:48:41
Page Settings and MetaData:
(Not Shown on the Page)
Page Settings
question
No
MetaData for Search Engine Optimization
MITRA Forum Question Details
restricted
This page cannot be accessed until you accept the Terms of Use, which can be found here.
Please note that this Terms of Use system uses cookies. If you have cookies disabled you will not be able to accept the agreement. If you delete our cookies you will need to re-accept the Terms of Use.
  • The Department of Art Conservation
  • 303 Old College
  • University of Delaware
  • Newark, DE 19716, USA
  • Phone: 302-831-3489
  • art-conservation@udel.edu