Toggle Navigation

Open the Navigation Management window, which can be used to view the full current branch of the menu tree, and edit it.

CONNECT
InstagramFacebook

MITRA Forum Question Details

Image Picker for Section 0
Move Down

Move this whole section down, swapping places with the section below it.

Code Cleaner

Check for and fix problems in the body text. Text pasted in from other sources may contain malformed HTML which the code cleaner will remove.

Accordion is OFF

Accordion feature turned off, click to turn on.

Accordion is ON

Accordion featurd turned on, click to turn off.

Image Rendition

Change the way the image is cropped for this page layout.

Media Size

Cycle through size options for this image or video.

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Align the media panel to the right/left in this section.

Insert Image

Open the image pane in this body section. Click in the image pane to select an image from the image library.

Insert Video

Open the video pane in this body section. Click in the video pane to embed a video. Click ? for step-by-step instructions.

Remove Image

Remove the image from the media panel. This does not delete the image from the library.

Remove Video

Remove the video from the media panel.

​​​​​​​​​​​

thought about best painting practice-fat over leanApproveRejectUn-ApproveSubscribeUn-Unsubscribe

Question asked 2023-03-04 16:21:29 ... Most recent comment 2023-04-05 00:06:12
Oil Paint Paint Mediums

​Dear Mitra community,

this week some friend send a link on Youtube talkes about best painting pracetice, host by Natrual Pigment.  My understanding the point is paininting straight from tube (paste) thinnly in each layer and no need to worry about fat over lean rule. I truely appreciate their will to help artist iron out this confusing fat over lean concept for best painting practice, however i still see gaps it not covered and hope to discuss with the Mitra community. 

1, it is not that practicle to paint all layer straight from tube, especially initial layer, like toning surface, blocking in, which requires fluidty, with butter like paste it would take forever to tone a surface. so it had to be solvent diluted for these layers. And it is correct adding solvent increased PVC, thus weaker film, however it creates a more porous film that readily accepting following layer and the oil from top will consolidate it as well, so even like water color consistency i not really see any issue as long as oils add back from following layer. 

and since ealier layer always lacks of oil (higher PVC), it becomes critical to add oils to the paint on following layer proportionally, so this makes paint straight from tube without medium not practically possible as well. 

2, besides discussed above, it also lacks consideration of fat vs slow dry color, even you paint all layer straight from tube thinnly but you paint a fast dry color over a slower one, i think it is probmatic as well. the best practice is to paint slower one on top of fast one always. 

3, especially there are many outlier color that is both fat (low PVC) but dries fast, so if you ignore this rule, you may likely to overlay a fast dry phathlo blue on top of a slower dry color say pyrole red.  Or you may paint a very fast drying and low oil content paint like Venetian red on top layer as fresh tone. 

in conclusion, my point is PVC view is a basic concept of how pigment absorbs oil, however by its alone it cannot cover fat over lean concept well, as it both about oil content as well as drying speed, especially when we considered many outlier pigments. 

i do agree due to market driven, most paint manufacture designed more for enthusestic hobbiest in mind who does care fat over lean with lean over fat so what mindset, but for serious artist, i do urge manufacture help artist to understand oil content, drying speed concept to avoid any confusion. 

i hope it may help open discussion about something like:

what you do if you need a fast dry & average to high oil content oil color over top of average to slow dry oil & lower oil concent paint? 

Move Up

Move this whole section up, swapping places with the section above it.

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Check for and fix problems in the body text. Text pasted in from other sources may contain malformed HTML which the code cleaner will remove.

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Open the image pane in this body section. Click in the image pane to select an image from the image library.

Insert Video

Open the video pane in this body section. Click in the video pane to embed a video. Click ? for step-by-step instructions.

Remove Image

Remove the image from the media panel. This does not delete the image from the library.

Remove Video

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2023-03-08 12:11:57]

i am interest in this topic, any expert may help to input?

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2023-03-09 20:31:03]

​ i also looked that youtube section and believe the host is George, maybe he can chat in here to explain out any confusion when people not agree with what said? ​

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2023-03-14 21:33:12]

Yeah, i hope George can comment here as well. My question would be most time we are painting with color that dries faster on top of color that dries average to slow speed. 

for instance, like in underpainting if you use titanium white, which is an average to slow dry color, then probabaly will mix some earth colors which dries very fast on top, then wont you really see a problem if you paint straight from tube in this way? so i want to ask you guys what you will do in this case?

Maybe:

1, you purchase similar colors in fast, medium and slow dry color catagory and place them in order?

Or, 2, you add oil to faster dry color to make it dries slower if you want to place it over average-slow dry color?

Or, 3, you completely not care drying speed and use whatever color needed in any order?

​hope to get some insights in the community. thanks. 

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2023-04-01 13:36:08]

Hello there,

Fat over lean is easily simplified as slower drying over faster drying. It's more about making sure you have over time more flexible over less flexible. The main parameters are thus logically the drying rate of the colour and the amount of oil used AND the time you allow for drying between each layer.

By reasoning backward, if you want your paint to crack, use a slow drying colour with lots of oils, and when it's barely touch dry, layer it with a lean and fast drying colour.

Back in proper order that means the longer you wait for each layer to dry, the lower the chances you take to break the rule unknowingly.

The main idea then in my humble opinion wouldn't be to just paint with colours straight from the tube, but rather to gradually shift your "fat" content from layer to layer you paint to increase the likely flexibility of the overall cake film.

Meaning thin your painting mediums with spirits first, and gradually shift your spirit to oil ratio toward more oil on each layer you go. The longer you wait between each layer the better.

One other detail, if art suppliers don't generally mention the drying time of their oils, if you ask their support team, they should give them to you. At least what the average time they'd expect. 

PVC or oil content is a thing but art suppliers add driers as well. between that and pigments drying the films differently and with varying flexibility makes it all the more harder to accutely define everything.

Mixing your colours with painting mediums eases out and softens the differences. Waiting patiently for each layer to dry reduces the risks as well. And finally painting thinly also helps reducing the risks.

If you need to put a fast dry colour over a slow drying one: give the time for the slow one to dry, and give plenty of oil to your fast drying one. Simply.

Cheers and good patience to you,

Lussh

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2023-04-02 21:25:53]

hi Lussh, thanks for your answer, i have few questions:

1, how dry would be the safe dry? i remember George from Natrual pigment says "hard dry" but i have no place to find what means by hard dry. and how to differentiate from touch dry? to me, what i can see is the phase that no longer pass through paint to finger when touched, will this be considered "hard dry"?

2, according to Michael Harding, some color is both very fat and very fast dry, so is maybe easier to thin it a lot for initial layer or add lot of oil to slow it down for final layer, but how about use in middle layer? or should we just avoid using this kind of complex color in middle layer?

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2023-04-03 09:33:45]

Hello there,

The safeest dry like for varnishing would be one year give or take. Nobody is that patient obviously. As much as the subsequent layers allow for some air to permeates through and allow the drying, it becomes slower or even impaired depending on what you put on top (varnishes or resins for instance).

Hard dry means "reaching the plateau of mechanical properties (hardness and flexiblity or lack of) over time". 

Oil painting as it dries first becomes touch dry "rapidly", and then grows over time into its reticulated film until reaching a plateau of properties (or gradually falling back as it ages even). Hard dry means the polymer is formed and mostly won't react anymore.

How to differentiate from touch dry, it's the tip often given before varnishing: wet a cloth with some solvent and wipe your colour. if it's still very solvent soluble and comes off easily, it's not fully hard dry yet. 

The problem you raise is, this is not a binary property like wet switching to fully dry. It's a gradual progress that varies from pigment to pigment, from oil to oil, from drying condition, amount of resin mixed in painting mediums, thickness of layers and time between, and so on. So many parametres that all you can do is chose how much patience you're willing to give and the wet cloth will always be able to remove some oil colour regardless.

The more parametres you control the higher your chances, but you'll never be 100% sure.

However it's still a logarithmic increase of properties, (or exponential decrease), meaning between waiting one day and one week the change is huge, but between one month and one year, the properties change is marginal. So don't beat yourself up for just waiting "just" a few weeks between layers, it's plenty good already. Aside the amount of colour that solvent can pick up, you'll never really know for sure.

​Very fat and very fast drying is possible, although I don't have a specific colour coming to mind.

From what you're saying, yes, thin it for the first layers, fatten it for the last, and go for ratios in between for the middle layers and you'll be fine.

If you also give plenty of time for your layers to dry before adding another (reaching enough of a hard dry), it's less of a concern.

Cheers and patience,

Lussh

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2023-04-03 23:08:38]

Hi Lussh​,

thanks for your reply. according to Michael Harding, the Phathalo group color is very fast drying as well as very fat, so seems to me it is very hard to use as it lays property at 2 ends. but using other blue is fine to me, because it is overwelming color to me anyway. 

but for PR 101 Venetian Red or transparent oxides are kind of very useful color to me. 

According to MH, Venetian Red is lean but dries fast, so probably mix it with little oil to slow it for color layering like fresh tone. 

but for transparent oxide, which are fat due to small lake alike particle size but dries fast, so it is another example of hard to use color:

​because the transparency is great for glazing, then if used on top layer, its drying speed is fastest, then as you said, had to wait like month to do this layering.

but if want to use it in middle layer, i feel its is hard to fine tune it, because if you want to slow its speed, you add more oil to it, but since itself is pretty fat, then adding oil will make it very fat, but it is still in middle layer, so means the following layer will be even more fat, i am afraid then it will beeding up very quickly.

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2023-04-04 14:27:26]

Hi there,

Phthalo pigments aren't fast drying in the way I would have put it but I see the intended meaning. 

They're not natural driers and they don't impair the drying much either to the best of my knowledge.

but because they are particularly powerful, your oil colour with phthalo pigments only has a few % of pigment (in weight). They're among the colours with the less pigment overall (because super strong colorant).

So it's more that their colours have mechanically more oil (and not too much filler to avoid staining the transparency). 

So they're very fat in that they have a lot of oil mechanically against other colours, and they're fast drying because... they have more driers added.

The difference however against fast drying colours that are lean like iron oxides, is the flexibility of the dry film.The leaner the colour, the less flexible its thick film will be. Phthalos are good since they will give you a flexible film. Iron oxides will need the care of more oil if you layer them above. But it's about their flexiblity more than their drying time.

If you allow each layer to dry fully, your concern is the flexibility of the film to go crescendo. Your phthalos won't be an issue no matter where you put them (so long they have time to dry through). 

Your lower layers of lean colours neither. Your mid or top layers of lean colours might. Give them som oil yes, "some" for mid layers, "a little more than some" for the top layers.

I hope this helps, 

Cheers,

Lussh

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2023-04-05 00:06:12]

Hi Lussh, you make another good point regards film flexibility, these info never released from supplier as far as i know, so if you may share common materials in terms film flexibility?

​also, i am not sure why people saying flexible on top, inflexible on bottom (suppose each layer dry enough in between), i mean the canvas can bend inward and outward, which may require more flexible layer on top or more flexible layer at bottom depend on bending direction? 

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Page Settings and MetaData:
(Not Shown on the Page)
Page Settings
MITRA
No
MetaData for Search Engine Optimization
MITRA Forum Question Details
restricted