Toggle Navigation

Open the Navigation Management window, which can be used to view the full current branch of the menu tree, and edit it.

CONNECT
InstagramFacebook

MITRA Forum Question Details

Image Picker for Section 0
Move Down

Move this whole section down, swapping places with the section below it.

Code Cleaner

Check for and fix problems in the body text. Text pasted in from other sources may contain malformed HTML which the code cleaner will remove.

Accordion is OFF

Accordion feature turned off, click to turn on.

Accordion is ON

Accordion featurd turned on, click to turn off.

Image Rendition

Change the way the image is cropped for this page layout.

Media Size

Cycle through size options for this image or video.

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Align the media panel to the right/left in this section.

Insert Image

Open the image pane in this body section. Click in the image pane to select an image from the image library.

Insert Video

Open the video pane in this body section. Click in the video pane to embed a video. Click ? for step-by-step instructions.

Remove Image

Remove the image from the media panel. This does not delete the image from the library.

Remove Video

Remove the video from the media panel.

​​​​​​​​​​​

Where can I find Lapis Lazuli pigments?ApproveRejectUn-ApproveSubscribeUn-Unsubscribe

Question asked 2023-01-06 09:28:10 ... Most recent comment 2024-01-11 22:55:17
Oil Paint

​I have a deep love for the beautiful blues I see in old paintings. 

I've been eying micheal harding tubes (the only lapis lazuli pigment I can find here in the US), but I'm not sure of their quality. How good are they? I'd like the highest possible quality lapis available on markets if possible! 

Is there an online available alternative if the harding ones don't make the cut? 

Thank you! 

Move Up

Move this whole section up, swapping places with the section above it.

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Check for and fix problems in the body text. Text pasted in from other sources may contain malformed HTML which the code cleaner will remove.

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Open the image pane in this body section. Click in the image pane to select an image from the image library.

Insert Video

Open the video pane in this body section. Click in the video pane to embed a video. Click ? for step-by-step instructions.

Remove Image

Remove the image from the media panel. This does not delete the image from the library.

Remove Video

EditDelete

Moderator Answer (koo schadler)

[2023-01-06 10:05:30]

​​I think you're asking for lazurite​ already as an oil paint, yes?   Natural Pigments makes it but it's currently out of stock - you can email them to ask when they'll next produce it.  Robert Doak in NYC sells a tubed Fra Angelico Blue oil paint, a name which generally indicates genuine lapis, but you'd have to write them to be sure (their online description doesn't specify).  If you're willing to make oil paint yourself, you can buy lazurite in powdered pigment from Natural Pigments, Kremer, Robert Doak, and various independent manufacturers on Etsy (although the latter may be hard to verify the quailty). ​ It's not hard (albeit takes a bit more time) to make paint from scratch - there are​ many tutorials on YouTube

The purest extractions of lazurite, which have the most color, are often referred to as "Fra Angelico Blue".​  Here's a description of the mineral, taken from Natural Pigments' website: 

"The name lazurite is for the mineral that is found in lapis lazuli rock, usually found only at high elevations and at few locations on the earth. Lazurite is a complex sodium calcium aluminum silicate sulfate mineral found in calcite formations. It is a popular but expensive mineral found combined with other minerals in a rock called "lapis lazuli." Lapis lazuli or lapis for short is mostly lazurite but commonly contains pyrite, calcite and other minerals. The name lazurite means "blue rock" and is a brilliant blue with violet or greenish tints. Small crystals of pyrite are always present in lapis and their gold yellow color distinguishes lapis from a similar mineral, sodalite, and the synthetic pigment, ultramarine. The natural mineral exhibits different properties and color nuances from artificial ultramarine and is the reason why it is highly prized even today."

EditDelete

Moderator Answer (brian baade)

[2023-01-06 10:46:27]

I am going to try to tread lightly on this and I will not get into whose tubed lapis paints are better or more authentic other than to write that I have suspicions that at least one supplier’s product is enhanced in color and is so full of “stabilizers” that I would hesitate to call it lapis. Additionally, 16 years ago I ran the XRF analysis of two pigments that seemed to light to be what they were advertised to be. One was supposed to be vermilion and the other malachite. The vermilion contained large cadmium, fillers and only a smidgin of mercury and the malachite hate little or no copper. I will not name these producers other than to write that their companies are still in existence and that I do not believe that they have ever contributed here. My point is that there is really no mechanism in place to force a small manufacturer (or perhaps even a large one) to accurately label their products.

There, however, are a number of suppliers of true high-quality lapis lazuli ultramarine in a good range of intensity of color and particle sizes. One of the issues with lapis is that color intensity is inversely proportionate to fineness of grind. This does mean that to make a serviceable and easily workable paint that retains the blue-violet shade of blue associated with lapis, one needs to start with stones of the highest purity and depth…meaning the most expensive. There are methods to remove some of the calcite and pyrite to naturally improve color strength. The famous Cennini method is one. The issue there is that it is laborious, and the yield of the highest quality pigment is quite low. There are other methods as well including the one outlined by Michael Price in his book.

One of the many issues with very coarse pigments is that they do not store well. In tube the pigment and binder separate making a hard lump in one part of the tube and oil in the other. This is also true of such paints stored in jars. One can get around this by adding large amounts of “stabilizers” like aluminum stearate or castor wax but then the resulting paint is nothing like the historical color. The other is that very coarse pigments make oil paints that are hard to use. The old masters had to come up with strategies to get around this AND to achieve the colored effects only available using coarser pigments.

The reason I write all the above is to say, in my experience, if one wants to paint with true ultramarine (and I am only writing about lapis lazuli, not all historical pigments in general) and needs it to be the actual, unadulterated pigment, and wants a paint that does not clump up on storage, I feel that it is best to mix one’s own paint from high quality, and reliable dry pigments and oil. This should probably be made up for each painting session. One does need to make sure that the oil component is not too high or darkening and yellowing will occur.

The last paragraph is only my opinion and I have great respect for the products and paints made by a frequent moderator to this forum and other suppliers of honest historically representative art materials. It is just an opinion based on my experience.

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2023-12-04 11:20:37]

​I know a small company in china that makes it tubed, it is not fra angelica but pretty decent, I can show you pics, also I extract Fra myself I have about 30 grams out of 600g, extremely long process but super high chroma and superfine pigment, not large particle, if interested you can send me an email, crawfordbrett1105@gmail.com​

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2023-12-05 17:58:19]

​I've only seen the Michael Hardings in real life and the Rublev online.  Both seem very nice but not as bright as the modern synthetic versions generally called Ultramarine.  Possibly the Harding might be a fraction lighter? But then I don't fully trust monitor reproduction. In the old paintings Lapis Lazuli was always at it's brightest in egg tempera and then with a step down after this, oil with a little addition of white.

Marc.​

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2024-01-11 22:47:16]

Doak has never been willing to use pigment codes for his paint. Although there is apparently quite a bit of wiggle room in their use (such as not needing to label a certain quantity of PW 4, despite its deleterious effect on oil paint films), their use is usually seen as a sign that the producer is aiming for some degree of transparency.​

My advice is that if you plan to purchase tubed ultramarine that is labeled as being made from lapis lazuli rather than from synthetic ultramarine (with or without phthalo or some other pigment) — plan to invest in a chemical lab to test the product. Once you have seen proof that it is what it says it is, then you can order more from that seller.

— SRS

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2024-01-11 22:55:17]

Also, the sRGB color gamut, which is the standard for mainstream computer monitors and other devices, has a tiny color range. It is much much smaller than what the human eye can perceive. The gamut of oil painting is rather small, however, particularly if one doesn't utilize fugitive rhodamine dye (sold far too often to watercolorists these days, thanks to "opera"). Additionally, in terms of that, most artists are unfamiliar with cobalt violet light — the lightfast alternative to rhodamine which doesn't have its level of saturation. That further shrinks the red-violet portion of the painting gamut. The yellowing of oil and its yellow tone (including medium addition) also shrinks it.

Despite the smallness of the painting gamut, getting an accurate on-screen representation of a particular color is full of problems. The lighting or scanning needs to be fully accurate. The entire chain (photography/scanning, calibration after photography/scanning, and monitor display) have to be accurate. Sometimes images on the web include embedded color profiles which can help some. However, a consumer monitor can have all sorts of adjustment problem and some don't even display the tint sRGB gamut fully.

In terms of smallness, too... the CMYK offset printing press gamut is smaller than sRGB but sRGB can't hold that full gamut. Parts of it are outside of sRGB's range.

In short, computer monitors are a rather poor way to evaluate paints. The best thing is to have swatches of the actual paint that has been dried in bright indoor light (if oils) or watercolor samples to paint out if using watercolors.

People can easily boost the saturation of anything they have photgraphed and scanned. Ebay is full of flower seed adds that misrepresent flowers (and even foliage) as being practically fluorescent.

— SRS

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Page Settings and MetaData:
(Not Shown on the Page)
Page Settings
MITRA
No
MetaData for Search Engine Optimization
MITRA Forum Question Details
restricted