Toggle Navigation

Open the Navigation Management window, which can be used to view the full current branch of the menu tree, and edit it.

CONNECT
InstagramFacebook

MITRA Forum Question Details

Image Picker for Section 0
Move Down

Move this whole section down, swapping places with the section below it.

Code Cleaner

Check for and fix problems in the body text. Text pasted in from other sources may contain malformed HTML which the code cleaner will remove.

Accordion is OFF

Accordion feature turned off, click to turn on.

Accordion is ON

Accordion featurd turned on, click to turn off.

Image Rendition

Change the way the image is cropped for this page layout.

Media Size

Cycle through size options for this image or video.

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Align the media panel to the right/left in this section.

Insert Image

Open the image pane in this body section. Click in the image pane to select an image from the image library.

Insert Video

Open the video pane in this body section. Click in the video pane to embed a video. Click ? for step-by-step instructions.

Remove Image

Remove the image from the media panel. This does not delete the image from the library.

Remove Video

Remove the video from the media panel.

​​​​​​​​​​​

Impasto_under_oilsApproveRejectUn-ApproveSubscribeUn-Unsubscribe

Question asked 2022-08-18 12:26:16 ... Most recent comment 2022-09-02 17:33:46
Animal Glue Egg Tempera Grounds / Priming Oil Paint Rigid Supports

​Hello,

My goal is about achieving impasto early onto ground so that I have it's reliefs more or less visible untill the end of painting. I would like to use traditional gesso ground on rigid support, apply that impasto if posssible and then painting in layers with oils.

Please, could I get opinions regarding two following koncepts that I have;

First - paint impasto strokes with traditional gesso (or distemper, I think it's the same thing) on traditional gesso?

Second - paint impasto strokes with tempera grassa on traditional gesso?

I know I could get maybe even better results with acryl or alkyd  ground/underpainting but my passion works best with more historical stuff.

Kind Regards,

Damir P.

Move Up

Move this whole section up, swapping places with the section above it.

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Check for and fix problems in the body text. Text pasted in from other sources may contain malformed HTML which the code cleaner will remove.

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Open the image pane in this body section. Click in the image pane to select an image from the image library.

Insert Video

Open the video pane in this body section. Click in the video pane to embed a video. Click ? for step-by-step instructions.

Remove Image

Remove the image from the media panel. This does not delete the image from the library.

Remove Video

EditDelete

Moderator Answer (brian baade)

[2022-08-18 15:48:20]

What you re describing in terms of underpainting with gesso is very similar to pastiglia but without the gilding. I see no issue with it but you will find that it is more difficult to do than it sounds. You need to apply the glue-bound layer thinly and in multiple steps otherwise there will be cracking.

I see no advantage to tempera grassa other than that it is a little less matte and requires a little less of a sizing layer. You will definitely need to seal any gesso layers, including “gesso Impaste” before painting in oil.

Distemper is a term most accurately used to describe pigments bound in animal glue. Gesso is most accurately used to describe a ground containing gypsum bound in animal glue. Many use the term for other inert white fillers in animal glue and even, much to my chagrin, acrylic dispersion-bound grounds from white, to black, to colorless. When taken to this extreme, the term gesso has become meaningless, other than to indicate a ground rather than a paint.

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2022-08-19 04:29:10]

Brian, ​

Thanks for gesso/distemper/acryl ground clarrification.

Could tempera grassa be painted in one impasto stroke i.e, put down with spathula? If yes, that would be advantage over gesso impasto for me. 

Have I understood correctly: the isolating coat on gesso prior oil paint should be executed with size leyer to cut absorbency? Also, should size layer be applied prior or after tempera grassa, I guess prior dirrectly to gesso?

Damir P.​​

EditDelete

[2022-08-19 16:42:22]

I would love for Koo to Weigh in on this but in general, tempera grassa does not really allow for much more flexibility in handling over traditional egg yolk tempera. You can get away with a bit more robust impasto but cracking and powdering are a possibility. You need to test.

I would not isolate before painting in tempera grassa, it would be preferable to isolate before painting in oils. Glue is a possibility for an isolation coat, but it needs to be done carefully. Thin shellac is fine if you are covering the whole surface with oils and the coat is not too glossy. It does introduce an alcohol soluble layer. I have personally isolated with a very dilute alkyd medium as long as all surfaces will be covered with somewhat opaque oil paint. This seems like sacrilege, but in many ways is corresponds with transparent isolating coats used in the Renaissance. Again, testing should be done on sacrificial pieces.

EditDelete

Moderator Answer (koo schadler)

[2022-08-19 18:53:00]

Both traditional gesso and an egg/oil emulsion, if applied too thickly, are likely to crack because of how they dry - as the water content in a thick layer evaporates out, the layer quickly shrinks and ends up looking like a dessicated lake bed (i.e. with fissures; sometimes visible to the naked eye, sometimes visible only using a loop).  So you won't be able to build up much impasto with either gesso or tempera grassa in a single layer; perhaps up to about 1 /32" (.8 mm), or a hair more, for a single layer?  You might get away with 1 /16" (1.6 mm), but I could see that developing hairline cracks (you should check under a lens to be sure).  Some of the bodied acrylic paints can produce more pronounced impasto and dry more reliably.  Or, you could beef up oil paint will calcite for more impasto... but I think you're looking for a fast drying, water-based way to get impasto - if so, I'd say acylics are your best bet.  What do the Golden technicians say?

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2022-08-23 07:52:41]

Thanks Koo,

Althought I thought 1,6mm imapsto height would not suit my purpose it actually does, even smaller than that. I did 1,2mm tempera grassa (TG) imasto strokes and after oil painted on top of them with opaque paint (pigments) they are fairlly visible. 

One observation I would like to share is that I used very grity filler for impasto i.e, marble dust with particle size distribution 150 - 300μm. When I tried calcite with 20μm average size TG imapsto, globally aplied oil layer would not stick well attop impasto but did only at gesso. I am not surprised that grity filler provided beter drag, but was expecting better results with "more usual" one. 

TG impasto was​​ a bit dusty, becouse I used smaller quentities of oil/yolk binder to pigment/filler i.e, above cPVC. First glue size attop it and second oil layers would fix it, I guess.

P.S. If this works well I have no need to investigate acrilycs at Golden.

DamirP.

EditDelete

[2022-08-27 08:09:15]

An interesting technique, I'd be curious to see the results.  I personally don't like painting with particles above about 30-40 microns, at most; larger than that and the paint is too gritty for me. So, 150+ microns is definitely outside my comfort zone. Setting aside personal preference, I'd also be concerned about adherence with such large particle sizes in TG (in a pure oil or acrylic binder, maybe yes - but not yolk); however I don't have any testing to back that up, it's just my two-cents worth.  

As for your layering, when you say "first glue size attop it", that "it" refers to the gesso, yes?  You're first sizing  gesso, not the TG, correct?  I just want to be sure I understand the layering correctly.  As Brian notes, sizing traditional gesso is necessary only with oil paints (true gesso is so absorbent it really soaks up too much oil binder).  With water-based paints (egg tempera and egg/oil TG) the absorbency of the gesso mostly takes up the water in the paint, and this, in fact, is helpful to controlling the paint.  So if you are working with a majority yolk, water-based tempera grassa paint (versus majority oil, solvent diluted TG), either don't size the gesso or do so minimally; water-based TG will bead up, not behave well if you apply too much size to the gesso.

And yes, I understand the passion for historic materials!  Acrylics are marvelous paints that can do many wonderful things, but natural binders are very compelling, for sure. 

Koo

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2022-08-30 15:11:35]

Thanks on this precise questions Koo. Actually under "first glue size atop it" I meant following layer structure; 

1. traditional gesso, 

2. TG impasto (yolk:linseed oil =1:1 and diluted with water), 

3. glue size

4. pure oil layers.

Could this be a problem, if so why? 

The reason I come up to this is becouse I used to paint oil on half-chalk ground (glue and linseed ground) so it seems similar, instead of glue now is the yolk, but maybe I overlooked something? Maybe it's safest to go with Paraloid B72 in number 3, althought glue size is easier for me to handle. 

Regarding adherence problems I'm thinking the same. I didn't have anything between 20+ and 150 microns so I'll perhaps try that in future. In this painting imasto TG is aplied in linear movements covering max 5 to 8% of total gesso ground surface area. All layers atop this TG impasto will be conected to gesso ground and should hold it. I know this is not perfect.

DamirP.

EditDelete

[2022-08-30 16:44:20]

​I worry about the extreme surface tension of an ASG isolating layer over fatty (or traditional) egg tempera layer. Animal glue is a massively more powerful adhesive, including great surface tension as compared to any tempera system. If it were me, I would use a thin, dilute oil (or preferably, sacrilege be damned) a very thin oil-alkyd coating, before oil painting. I really worry about pulling up the tempera with the ASG coating.

EditDelete

[2022-08-30 18:59:40]

​​I agree with Brian - glue atop TG isn't a good idea.  

I've painted oil paints directly on top of TG, no isolator; there was a little sinking in, not too much, and after two or three layers the surface was saturated and oil paint went on fine.  If you first sized the gesso ground with a thin coat of glue, to decrease it's absorbency, that would likely further lessen the amount of oil sinking in atop the TG.  Or, as Brian suggested, you could isolate it with oil, or oil+alkyd; I've done the later using approximately 1 part alkyd to 8 parts oil, and the alkyd really helps the oil layer to dry more quickly. 

In addition to adherance and shrinking questions, I'm concerned that if you isolate the TG it won't cure very well.  No coating is impervious, so oxygen would still reach the TG layers to encourage polymerization - but it might slow things down, or create uneven drying rates. Brian, what do you think of that - an issue, or not?

So, I think I'd go with...

1.  Traditional Gesso

2.  Optional: Thin Glue Size

3. Tempera Grassa

4.  Optional:

Transition to increasingly more oil based, solvent-diluted TG

or

Apply a thin oil + alkyd layer

5. Oil Paint

​As for particle size, in fact I don't much enjoy above 20 microns, and am happiest in the 1-10 range, but that's just me.  I've gone as high as 100 microns (with dioptasio) and it looked/felt like rough grit sandpaper. The 30-40 micron number I suggested was just a rough guesstimate as to what size particle a yolk binder can effectively handle.  

Koo

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2022-09-02 17:33:46]

Thanks,

I had no idea about that. I will be reading more on coatings surface tensions in general.

I decided to use TG to further cut absorbency before oil layers.​ To stay in historic fashion.

DamirP.

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Page Settings and MetaData:
(Not Shown on the Page)
Page Settings
MITRA
No
MetaData for Search Engine Optimization
MITRA Forum Question Details
restricted