Toggle Navigation

Open the Navigation Management window, which can be used to view the full current branch of the menu tree, and edit it.

CONNECT
InstagramFacebook

MITRA Forum Question Details

Image Picker for Section 0
Move Down

Move this whole section down, swapping places with the section below it.

Code Cleaner

Check for and fix problems in the body text. Text pasted in from other sources may contain malformed HTML which the code cleaner will remove.

Accordion is OFF

Accordion feature turned off, click to turn on.

Accordion is ON

Accordion featurd turned on, click to turn off.

Image Rendition

Change the way the image is cropped for this page layout.

Media Size

Cycle through size options for this image or video.

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Align the media panel to the right/left in this section.

Insert Image

Open the image pane in this body section. Click in the image pane to select an image from the image library.

Insert Video

Open the video pane in this body section. Click in the video pane to embed a video. Click ? for step-by-step instructions.

Remove Image

Remove the image from the media panel. This does not delete the image from the library.

Remove Video

Remove the video from the media panel.

​​​​​​​​​​​

Multiple nightmare problems in oil painting on traditional chalk ground panel. Non-crosslinked, sinking, tacky paint.ApproveRejectUn-ApproveSubscribeUn-Unsubscribe

Question asked 2022-07-09 09:38:15 ... Most recent comment 2023-04-01 13:57:24
Chalk Grounds / Priming Oil Paint Solvents and Thinners Sizes and Adhesives Rigid Supports Varnishes Drying Oils Paint Additives Paint Mediums Scientific Analysis

Hi all,

I am having a huge problem in the painting I have been working on over the 18 months. I have been unable to find a cause and solution to the issue.

The paint doesn't appear to be crosslinking. I work in many layers, but if I run the back of my nail across some parts of the painting, I can remove all layers of dried paint back to the underpainting. 

I have had this problem before in other paintings, but never this bad. I removed as much of the unstable paint as possible at one point, removing around three months' labour. But if I test the recent layers, it appears that the problem is still occuring. 

1. Panel was gesso'd with a rabbit skin glue to water ratio of 1:12. Whiting was added in a 1:1 ratio. Titanium white pigment no more than 10%.
  2. Once fully dried, the panel was sealed with a 1:3 damar varnish to turps layer. Sidenote, I have heard rabbit skin glue in 1:15 dilution is better?
  3. A thin coat of ultramarine and burnt umber was used to tone the panel. Potentially thinned with a small amount of turps (I can't remember).
  4. The first coat of paint was applied without any medium.
  5. Subsequent layers have had larger quantities of liquin and trace amounts of linseed oil (from cleaning brushes) added.
Initially I thought that it's because I'm using too much liquin. I do need to thin my layers out as much as possible, to the point where they are extremely translucent, but when the paint is scratched, it scratches down to the ultramarine/burnt umber tone. 
You'd think that the lack of crosslinking was due to overdiluting paint with alkyd resin, it would remove paint down to step 4. It doesn't. It goes all the way down to step 3.

I have used massive amounts of liquin in the past (up to 90%) and not had this problem.

The other issue is that the areas of ivory black are not tending to dry. They will remain just slightly tacky, indefinitely. It dries where I've used larger amounts of liquin, but without that, there's always a slight sticky feeling to it. The painting is monochromatic with large amounts of ivory black throughout. I have also used titanium white.

Lastly, the oil is sinking a lot. I believe that I may have overdiluted my damar varnish layer to seal the gesso. I haven't painted for a few years. I believe I did a 1:4 ratio by mistake. This issue is easily resolved with retouching varnish, but I haven't been able to use any yet due to fear that I'll remove all of the non-crosslined layers. Especially the pure black parts that are slightly tacky. 

It's making painting a nightmare as a result because I can't accurately judge the values. My blacks are appearing greyish. I need to use a retouch varnish to view it accurately, then I can finish the painting. I'm so close. I have thought about whether using a spray retouch varnish would be best, as it's less likely to disturb any dodgy areas. What's strange is that I have oiled out an area of ivory black with a very small amount of linseed oil. The linseed oil has remained tacky.

I would be so grateful for any help with this matter.

Essentially I need to stabilise the paint layers, get some retouch varnish down and finish the painting with some final adjustments. 

​Many thanks,

James

Move Up

Move this whole section up, swapping places with the section above it.

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Check for and fix problems in the body text. Text pasted in from other sources may contain malformed HTML which the code cleaner will remove.

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Open the image pane in this body section. Click in the image pane to select an image from the image library.

Insert Video

Open the video pane in this body section. Click in the video pane to embed a video. Click ? for step-by-step instructions.

Remove Image

Remove the image from the media panel. This does not delete the image from the library.

Remove Video

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2022-07-09 09:46:34]

Please see attached images of scratched paint, linseed oiled out area that is still tacky, and the appearance of an ivory black area.20220709_130542.jpg20220709_130517.jpg20220709_130531.jpg

EditDelete

Moderator Answer (brian baade)

[2022-07-13 13:12:32]

I am away from the internet until August 1st

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2023-03-25 07:11:10]

​Hiya - I'm having a similar issue to what you've described in terms of "tackiness" on the surface - I believe it's because I used a medium that has a little too much stand oil in it to oil out a few areas, and the stand oil is refusing to dry. I'm wondering if you ever figured out how to accelerate the drying? I'm not able to varnish the piece yet despite leaving it for several months as the tackiness refuses to go away, so I'm hoping someone has some answers!

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2023-04-01 13:57:24]

Hello James,

Sorry for your experience. I sympathise with your pain trully. I've had some indigo hue coats that also turned into play-dough more than a real film in the past.

I won't have all the answers but some elements that might help.

First thing is sadly, sealing the non drying painting with retouching varnish. It will become touch dry but never really dry and turn permanently soluble. Meaning the varnishing or unvarnishing could destroy your work.

- First two questions to ask yourself are whether you gave enough time for each layer to dry, and whether you're not painting too thick layers.

- Liquin in humid conditions can take a significant while to dry properly. It's magnified if you paint a milimetre thickly. 

- What was the quality of your dammar resin? Dammar dries ever so slowly and keeps that tackiness. It may not be the best choice for sealing the ground. 

- And turpentine ? Cheap turpentine like cheap white spirit will ruin everything with greasy mineral compounds. 

- Ivory black not drying is a common issue. Don't use too much of it pure nor in thick layers. Try the others or mixes of transparent colours.

As for repairing the work, I recall trying to soak the undrying parts with solvent with added driers mixed in. It kinda helped but wasn't a panacea overall.

That being said, if you give up entirely on crosslinking and solvents resilience, infusing your layers with retouching varnish will at least solidify everything in place.

Another tip that isn't an all-cure either: put your painting to face sunlight and warmth for a month.

Sometimes the drying process can be kicked into progress with the help of direct sunlight. 

I'm afraid your work might never be able to properly and fully dry but good luck still, and hopefully easier with the next.

Lussh

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Page Settings and MetaData:
(Not Shown on the Page)
Page Settings
MITRA
No
MetaData for Search Engine Optimization
MITRA Forum Question Details
restricted