Toggle Navigation

Open the Navigation Management window, which can be used to view the full current branch of the menu tree, and edit it.

CONNECT
InstagramFacebook

MITRA Forum Question Details

Image Picker for Section 0
Move Down

Move this whole section down, swapping places with the section below it.

Code Cleaner

Check for and fix problems in the body text. Text pasted in from other sources may contain malformed HTML which the code cleaner will remove.

Accordion is OFF

Accordion feature turned off, click to turn on.

Accordion is ON

Accordion featurd turned on, click to turn off.

Image Rendition

Change the way the image is cropped for this page layout.

Media Size

Cycle through size options for this image or video.

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Align the media panel to the right/left in this section.

Insert Image

Open the image pane in this body section. Click in the image pane to select an image from the image library.

Insert Video

Open the video pane in this body section. Click in the video pane to embed a video. Click ? for step-by-step instructions.

Remove Image

Remove the image from the media panel. This does not delete the image from the library.

Remove Video

Remove the video from the media panel.

​​​​​​​​​​​

Reflectivity of Silverpoint?ApproveRejectUn-ApproveSubscribeUn-Unsubscribe

Question asked 2022-05-31 19:57:13 ... Most recent comment 2022-06-16 22:33:46
Drawing Materials Grounds / Priming Varnishes Acrylic

​Hello All,

I have just completed a project consisting of 64 panels, executed in silverpoint. After much experimentation and wonderful help from the moderators here, I decided to use Goldens's acrylic gesso (which I tinted with a home made melange of dry pigments to imitate terre verte) on HDF panels. These were then coated with two coats of (translucent) Golden's Pastel Ground. I chose Golden's Pastel Ground because it allowed for a fairly easily achieved 50 - 60% dark value as well as a tactile softness. For the highlights I introduced washes of titanium white acrylic. Overall, though the original subject matter contains some high contrast elements, the silverpoint versions of it that I have created have a whispy daguerrotype softness to them. Nice.

However, I have also noticed that in some of the areas where I made repeatred strokes of silver to achieve a darker value, there is now a glare or reflectivity element, depending upon the angle of my light source. I theorize that another coat of the (translucent) Golden's Pastel Ground on top of the silverpoint could be a good solution - because the toothiness it imparts would naturally diffuse the light. Is there any technical reason why I should not do this? Or alternatively, are there other fixatives or matt varnishes that might work just as well?

I should also add (just to complicate things) that I intend to cover the whole assemblage of these panels with some Liquitex (transparent) titanium white spray paint, in order to turn the realism of this soft daguerrotype into a more semi-abstracted image. The coverage of the spray paint will by no means be even, so the image can show through in places

So, if I were to use something (Golden's Pastel Ground or something else) to mitigate the reflectivity of the silver now, it would also need to function as the intermediate (matte) layer that it is and not function as a final varnish (which may very well come at the end, if needed, TBD).

Sorry for the complicated description. Strange how easy it is to visualize something but how difficult to describe it.

Thanks for any suggestions you all may have,

Yours,

Ellen Trezevant

Move Up

Move this whole section up, swapping places with the section above it.

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Check for and fix problems in the body text. Text pasted in from other sources may contain malformed HTML which the code cleaner will remove.

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Open the image pane in this body section. Click in the image pane to select an image from the image library.

Insert Video

Open the video pane in this body section. Click in the video pane to embed a video. Click ? for step-by-step instructions.

Remove Image

Remove the image from the media panel. This does not delete the image from the library.

Remove Video

EditDelete

Moderator Answer (mirjam hintz)

[2022-06-01 06:00:20]

Hello Ellen,

you could test on a sacrificial test piece whether you like the aesthetic appearance of Golden Pastel Ground over your Silverpoint drawing and also whether the adhesion is acceptable by letting the ground dry for several days and then testing with tape how easy it is to pull the coating off the Silverpoint. You can cut a crosshatch into the dried ground first with a cutter or scalpel, before using the tape.

We found that over graphite drawings the adhesion of solvent based varnishes and topcoats is a little better than that of water based ones. It might be a similar case with silverpoint.

Most spray paints are very versatile in terms of the substrates they can be applied on. You could test how the Liquitex spray does directly over silverpoint and then use a final varnish in satin or matte, maybe even from the same brand as the spray paint, in order to ensure compatibility. As with all mixed media techniques, testing is of the essence. It'd be nice to hear what you find out. 

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2022-06-01 14:51:19]

​Thanks, Mirjam, I will definitely do some tests before proceeding any further. 

I should also note that, although strokes of silverpoint are reputed to be permanent, I have not found that to be the case (!). Of course, it does depend upon the ground that is used. Thus, even on traditional chalk gesso, I have found (in the past) that it is possible to make small corrections as needed, however that has turned out particularly to be the case when drawing in silverpoint on Golden's Pastel Ground. I have found that the strokes are (partially) water soluble (perhaps because the Pastel Ground still is?) as well as (partially) sensitive to a kneaded eraser (due to its toothiness?). All this tells me that I will definitely want to apply a (most probably solvent based) fixative to the drawing - either now or later.​

Relative to that fixative, I took a look at the array of Golden Varnishes (I don't see Fixatives listed). ​I think that the Matte version of MSA Varnish with UVLS would probably 'fix' the drawing, as well as reduce its reflectivity (bypassing my proposal for a further coating of the Paster Ground). In addition, the UV protection should help to reduce any further tarnishing of the silver - an added bonus in this case. The only question really then would be, now or later?

Would the permanence and adhesion quality of the anticipated Liquitex spray layer that I mentioned earlier be affected by the MSA Varnish? 

Or should I apply a traditional (solvent based?​) matte fixative for pastels? And again how would the permanence and adhesion quality of the anticipated Liquitex spray layer be affected?

Of course, it's clear that more testing will be required. Nevertheless, your input here would be helpful.

Thanks,

Ellen

EditDelete

Moderator Answer (koo schadler)

[2022-06-02 08:27:10]

Hi Ellen,

Mirjam has addressed the question well.  In my usual, long-winded way, here are a few more comments.

As you of course know (but for the sake of readers who don't): a metalpoint line is created by deposits of metal abraded from a metal nib by an abrasive drawing surface.  Abrasion is created by (1) TOOTH in the surface (the result of high PVC - lots of solids in the ground; more irregularly shaped solids, like green earth, help abrade too); and (2) HARDNESS in the surface (given by the hardness of the pigments/solids in the ground).   

A logical assumption is that very large sized pigments in a ground create an especially toothy surface (akin to rough sandpaper), and this creates an ideal level of abrasion. This isn't quite true.  Metalpoint has no binder.  Metal marks adhere via a mix of particles getting “trapped" within the “nooks and crannies" of a support or ground (mechanical adhesion) + electrostatic attraction between particles (Van der Waals forces).  A ground with especially large tooth has larger and fewer interstices into which metal deposits can lodge.  At the same time, a large toothed ground abrades larger particles of metals, and large particles are less likely to attach to the surface as well as to each other.  So, at some point, a too rough, sandpaper-like ground actually makes for less well-attached, stable marks. 

In my limited experience with Golden's pastel ground, I found it relatively rough compared – as it's designed to be, to abrade pastels.  Metal particles don't adhere quite as well on this surface as on others, in my experience. This isn't to speak against it as a ground for metalpoint, just to clarify its qualities. 

FYI, you didn't ask about this, and I'd never want to talk an artist out of using a material or method they like…but, my two-cents worth is that Artboard Gesso and Natural Pigments Tempera Ground abrade the best of the synthetic polymer grounds I've tried; and their microscopic irregularity is small enough that particles adhere well - albeit not permanently, since that's not possible, as noted next…. 

As you say, the idea that metalpoint isn't erasable is not true.  The mechanical adhesion and electrostatic attraction that attach particles to a surface can be affected in various ways – erasing (tho' one has to be careful not to mar the ground; a kneaded eraser works best); applying solvent (water or alcohol – but again, this can damage the ground so must be done carefully); degradation of the metal particles (which are prone to corrosion).  All the above are abetted if adhesion is less strong from the start - for example, if large metal particles are abraded atop a rough drawing surface (i.e. the “nooks and crannies" are so large that particles don't embed as securely).  In short, the deductions in your last reply all seem correct to me. 

Regarding the solubility of the ground: most synthetic polymers are touch dry within 20-30 minutes, but the actual cure time – the point at which the polymer becomes insoluble – varies depending on brand, dry time, application method, paint thickness, number of layers, underlying support, temperature/humidity, etc.   So whether water is actually dissolving the ground, or merely helping to dislodge/lift particles, it's hard to say.  But yes, water can encourage the lifting of metal particles and is one way to “erase" (although water can also affect the appearance of the ground, so this must be done very carefully). 

The ultraviolet light stabilizers (UVLS) in a varnish aren't there to protect the underlying artwork from UV radiation; they protect the varnish itself from degrading as quickly from UV light (at least, that is my understanding).  Also, while a support or ground (specifically the binder) may be degraded by light, most metals are not affected by UV light.  Metals degrade via corrosion, which is caused by lots of things: moisture, oxygen, atmospheric elements (sulphur), etc.   So the main reason to apply a varnish to a metalpoint drawing is to protect the metal deposits from detaching and from corrosion.  However, there are complications to varnishing a metalpoint drawing (the varnish embeds into the irregular surface, and is hard/impossible to remove), and not everyone agrees that the benefits outweigh the costs – it's a personal decision, with pros and cons either way.   

There are so many types of synthetic polymers – some water-based, others solvent-based – that it's hard to comment on the pros/cons of layering many different sorts.  As Mirjam notes, testing is key – even then, surprises can occur at some point down the road.  Talk to the manufacturer (Golden has a fantastic tech team – call or send an email).  Simple systems are easiest to work with, maintain and diagnose when something goes wrong. But I know the muses can lead us towards complicated systems, and I'd never talk an artist out of a conversation with their muse (your planned layering sounds very enticing to me; I love to scumble over metalpoint, it's magical).  Labeling the back with your materials and methods will help if future conservation is needed.

Koo

EditDelete

[2022-06-02 08:41:46]

One more comment, about the reflectivity in areas that are heavily worked.  As much as an abrasive surface abrades a metal nib, a metal nib also abrades and smooths the drawing surface.  It goes both ways…. 

As you note, this inadvertent "polishing" of the surface can increase shine.  Your proposed solution may or may not amend it.  A “toothy" coating (to scatter the light) on an isolated example of shine might work, but if there's a shiny area of silver next to a matte one, a toothy coating may not equalize the different shines, merely knock back both to a diminished but still unequal level of shine.    

Also be aware that the inherent irregularity in a metalpoint drawing surface means particles in a layer of ground or matte varnish (which has matting agents) applied on top of a drawing may settle out (the liquid part of the coating settles into the irregular surface; particles sit on top) - and those particles, once out of suspension, can go from translucent to semi or fully opaque white.  This may, in fact, suit your visual goals for these drawing.  I just want to give a heads up that top coatings on a high PVC irregular surfaces don't' always stay transparent, depending on their solid content.     ​​

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2022-06-02 22:17:15]

Hi Koo,

Thanks for your informative responses. 

Yes, I did do some thorough testing of various grounds for this project last year, many of them based on your advice. As I recall, the Artboards Gesso was not available in Europe (then) but I was able to procure some of the Natural Pigments Tempera Ground. Again, as I recall, the Natural Pigments Ground worked fine for the silverpoint aspect (though the line was too "fine" for my purposes) but it absorbed my white washes too quickly, making that side of the image creation less pleasant - ​for me.

I was intriguied by your mention of the electrostatic attraction element of silverpoint. Always more to learn.

After my response to Mirjam yesterday (about possibly using a Golden MSA varnish), I sniffed around this forum to find out what kind of fixative is generally recommended for silverpoint. I found that Brian (Baade), Tom (Mazullo) and you had recommended the Lescaux ( UV Protect Varnish). After some more research I began to think that that might be a good solution for me right now. Thus, a matte version of the Lescaux varnish/ fixative in spray form should fix my drawing, possibly reduce the reflectivity that is occurring in some areas and still provide a surface which is capable of receiving other applications of paint (the Liquitex spray paint that I mentioned earlier).

I have ordered some to try out on a few test pieces.

BTW: (in this case) is varnish the same as fixative?

Do you happen to know if it will darken the image? Sometimes there can be as much as a 10% value change, when light refracts through a thin layer of an otherwise transparent film. That's OK with me if that happens (since the SP value is still around a 50% gray value), just wondering. And I'm anticipating spray/scumbles to lighten it.

Thanks as always for your informative response.

Yours,

Ellen

​ 

EditDelete

[2022-06-03 06:59:58]

​Hi Ellen,

The Lascaux is a good choice for a top coat. ​​As far as I know, the fixative and varnish (in matte, semi-matte and gloss) are all the same material, B-72; the fixative is just a more diluted form of the varnish.  Materials can change, so you'd have to contact the manufacturer to be sure.  

As I'm sure you know, how much a coating darkens an image depends on how fully you saturate the surface with the coating.  If you have a very high PVC irregular surface, a light coating mostly sinks in; the surface remains irregular, scatters light, and doesn't darken much.  But apply enough coats to completely "fill in" the surface with varnish, so it's not irregular anymore, and mid to dark values can saturate and darken quite a bit.  I don't know the exact percentage (I'm no good at figuring out the varying refractive indexes to arrive at a precise number), but I would guess around the 10% you suggest.​  It sounds like an inspired and fun project - makes me want to get into the studio myself.

Koo

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2022-06-03 14:09:52]

​Thanks, Koo,

I've ordered the Lescaux fixative as well as the matte varnish. Will let you all know how things proceed.

EditDelete

Moderator Answer (brian baade)

[2022-06-03 15:18:14]

​Koo,

Thanks so much for being a moderator on MITRA. Your responses are always so important and thorough.

EditDelete

[2022-06-04 08:27:24]

​You're welcome - it's a pleasure to talk materials and methods with other artists.  Thanks in turn for including me in the discussion.  

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2022-06-16 22:33:46]

Alamat Apotek Yang Menjual Obat Aborsi Cytotec Misoprostol Pfizer Asli Terbaik dan Terpercaya Obat Penggugur Kandungan paling ampuh dan manjur atau di sebut juga Obat Telat Datang Bulan yang bermerk Cytotec Misoprostol buatan PFIZER USA ini, Obat Aborsi Cytotec Misoprostol bisa Menggugurkan Kandungan (Melunturkan Kandungan) atau mengatasi telat datang bulan dengan aman,ampuh dan manjur dengan tingkat keberhasilan 80-90%. Cara Aborsi sendiri ini biasa disebut dengan Aborsi medis dengan Menggunakan Obat Cytotec Misoprostol Pfizer memberikan bukti bukan JANJI sangatlah ampuh untuk melunturkan kandungan dengan cepat tanpa kuret. Jual Obat Aborsi Pil cytotec asli paling ampuh dengan reaksi yang cepat 3 sampai 6 jam gugur tuntas dari usia 1 bulan sampai 7 bulan gugur tuntas tanpa kuret bisa mengandung kembali secara normal. Kami memberikan bukti bukan janji BERGARANSI. Berdasarkan pengalaman kami menjual obat aborsi cytotec asli disini kami akan memberikan solusi cara menggunakan atau pekaian obat cytotec asli dengan benar dan sudah terbukti 100% manjur aman tanpa efek samping. Jika anda kurang yakin untuk menggugurkan kandungan anda? anda bisa mempertimbangkan terlebih dahulu sebelum siap untuk memesan obat cytotec aborsi kandungan ini.Jual Obat Cytotec Asli 100 Persen Jual Obat Aborsi Cytotec Obat aborsi yang kami jual adalah asli obat khusus untuk aborsi kandungan yang bernama cytotec misoprostol yang Sudah Terbukti bahwa cara menggugurkan kandungan dengan pil aborsi paling ampuh. Dimana Penjual Obat Aborsi Cytotec ini sangat bagus jika di gunakan untuk usia kehamilan 1 bulan, 2 bulan, 3 bulan sampai batas usia kandungan yang di tentukan untuk usia kandungan 5 7 bulan bisa hubungi admin. Oleh dikarenakan itu, rahim bakal memberlakukan aborsi kehamilan. Kamu dapat mengalami keram yang menyakitkan, kehilangan darah lebih dari normal menstruasi, mual, muntah dan diare. Ada serta potensi risiko pendarahan berat. Seandainya ini berlangsung, Kamu mesti serta-merta konsultasi ke kami. Bisa Jadi kesuksesan aborsi bersama Obat Aborsi Cytotec 100% Tuntas. Pengalaman serta risiko aborsi dengan meminum Obat Cytotec Misoprostol serupa dengan pengalaman aborsi secara alami. Mari Kita Pelajari Sebentar Tentang Obat Aborsi Cytotec Sebenarnya apa itu cytotec? Cytotec merupakan obat aborsi yang diproduksi Asli oleh Pfizer USA terdaftar yang di setujui FDA, penjualan dan penggunaan. Cytotec Pfizer tidak diizinkan di beberapa negara dengan hukum ketat, dan di Indonesia diperlukan resep untuk mendapatkan Cytotec 200 mcg (meskipun bagi kita tidak diperlukan resep untuk membeli ObatTelatBulan cytotec 200 mcg. Cytotec ® adalah obat penggugur kandungan dengan bahan aktif Misoprostol. Obat MISOPROSTOL CYTOTEC asli diproduksi oleh Pfizer USA. dijual dengan nama dagang CYTOTEC, Citotec, Cyprostol, Gymiso, Mibetec, Misotrol. Kasiat Dari Cytotecuntuk memicu kehamilan, melakukan aborsi, mencegah dan menangani ulkus peptikum, dan juga untuk menangani pendarahan postpartum akibat kontraksi uterus yang buruk. Cytotec adalah obat keras sehingga penggunaannya harus di bawah pengawasan ketat oleh dokter. Bagaimana cara menyimpan obat Cytotec? Cytotec adalah salah satu obat yang sebaiknya disimpan pada suhu ruangan. Jauhkan dari cahaya langsung dan tempat yang lembap. Jangan disimpan di kamar mandi. Jangan dibekukan.TEKAN UNTUK PROMO!! PESAN

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Page Settings and MetaData:
(Not Shown on the Page)
Page Settings
MITRA
No
MetaData for Search Engine Optimization
MITRA Forum Question Details
restricted