Toggle Navigation

Open the Navigation Management window, which can be used to view the full current branch of the menu tree, and edit it.

CONNECT
InstagramFacebook

MITRA Forum Question Details

Image Picker for Section 0
Move Down

Move this whole section down, swapping places with the section below it.

Code Cleaner

Check for and fix problems in the body text. Text pasted in from other sources may contain malformed HTML which the code cleaner will remove.

Accordion is OFF

Accordion feature turned off, click to turn on.

Accordion is ON

Accordion featurd turned on, click to turn off.

Image Rendition

Change the way the image is cropped for this page layout.

Media Size

Cycle through size options for this image or video.

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Align the media panel to the right/left in this section.

Insert Image

Open the image pane in this body section. Click in the image pane to select an image from the image library.

Insert Video

Open the video pane in this body section. Click in the video pane to embed a video. Click ? for step-by-step instructions.

Remove Image

Remove the image from the media panel. This does not delete the image from the library.

Remove Video

Remove the video from the media panel.

​​​​​​​​​​​

Rabbit Skin GlueApproveRejectUn-ApproveSubscribeUn-Unsubscribe

Question asked 2022-02-04 09:43:11 ... Most recent comment 2022-02-08 15:15:20
Animal Glue Grounds / Priming Sizes and Adhesives

​Hello All

Some questions:

1.  In discussions on an egg tempera forum, the topic of rabbit skin glue (RSG) has come up.  I note on the forum that the term has come to more broadly denote a collagen-based, high bloom strength, high quailty glue that doesn't necessarily come from rabbits, possibly from cows and pigs (as on the MITRA adhesive handout, and as I've heard from material experts); and that if one wants to work with actual RSG, look for the term "genuine" and read the technical data sheet.  A European-based commentor on the forum says the term isn't used in this general way in Europe because of EU labeling laws; if a glue sold in Europe is labeld RSG, it's from rabbits.  So I'm wondering, is the ambiguity over glue nomenclature just in the US, or is it a broader issue?

2. My understanding is that animal glue in a ground should be very strong because grounds are essntially high PVC paints that need a strong binder to hold all those solids together - yes?  Is it accurate that the source of a glue (rabbit, cow, bovine) isn't critical; more important is that a glue be derived from collagen and have a high bloom strength?  (Brian, I've noted your insightful comment that 'rabbit skin' wasn't even used in painting manuals prior to the 19th c.)

3.  I've asked this question before but it went unanswered, so I'll try again: does anyone know what constitutes a high bloom strength?  Is 300 considered high? (Personally, I prefer the 450 range).  

4.  Looking at a few suppliers websites, I note that "genuine" RSGs tend to have a bloom strength in the 300s; whereas more ambiguous RSGs (not labeled genuine, technical data sheet says more generally "from animal collagen") tend to have higher bloom strengths.  Do genuine RSGs have a lower bloom strength than glues from cows and pigs?  If so, are cow and pigs glues better for gesso than genuine rabbit skins?  

Thanks for any light you can shed on these questions.

Koo Schadler

Move Up

Move this whole section up, swapping places with the section above it.

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Check for and fix problems in the body text. Text pasted in from other sources may contain malformed HTML which the code cleaner will remove.

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Open the image pane in this body section. Click in the image pane to select an image from the image library.

Insert Video

Open the video pane in this body section. Click in the video pane to embed a video. Click ? for step-by-step instructions.

Remove Image

Remove the image from the media panel. This does not delete the image from the library.

Remove Video

EditDelete

Moderator Answer (koo schadler)

[2022-02-04 09:53:14]

​​​Whoops - in the second qeustion I meant to say "Rabbit, cow, pig";  saying "cow, bovine" is a bit redundant!​​

EditDelete

Moderator Answer (george o'hanlon)

[2022-02-06 19:34:24]

​​​1. Regarding labeling laws in the European Union, that may be the case, but based on my experience marketing products in Europe, many consumer laws are unevenly applied or enforced throughout the EU. The labeling of animal glue in the U.S. is mostly based on the traditional usage of these products. Some producers in the U.S. use different names (i.e., rabbit skin glue, hide glue, bone glue, gelatin, etc.) to distinguish the gel or Bloom strength of the glue. It is a common practice among resellers to use the term “rabbit skin glue” for bovine and porcine glue since the name is more familiar to customers. (This is practice is not unusual—the word “gesso” to market acrylic-based dispersion grounds is a well-known example of products that do not contain gesso or gypsum.) Glue producers usually classify glues they produce with the following terms: Hide Glue, Bone Glue, and Industrial Gelatin. Since they use bovine, porcine, and fish bones, cartilage and skin, to produce glues of a wide range of Bloom values, the source of the animal protein is less important to their naming conventions.

2. It does not necessarily follow that the gel or Bloom strength of the animal glue is the most important property in making traditional glue grounds. The cohesive strength of a animal glue is determined by its molecular structure and intermolecular bonding, as expressed in Bloom values. To produce strong animal glue films with great stiffness and a high resistance to impact in the dried state, the same rules generally apply as obtaining high gel strength. Hide glues generally have greater cohesive strength than strongly denatured and degraded bone glues, which display lower tensile strength and are much more brittle. Mammalian collagen tends to yield stronger glues than most aquatic sources. Cold water fish gelatin in particular shows comparatively low tensile strength which is comparable with that of bovine bone gelatin while a high tensile strength, similar to that of hide glue, has been reported for mildly prepared sturgeon isinglass. Fish gelatin such as sturgeon isinglass does not form gels at the temperatures used to measure Bloom values, yet the strength can be quite high in the dried state.

3. The Bloom strength of modern animal glue can range from 80 to 512. On a purely numerical value high Bloom strength would be 512. For diffeernt applications, the Bloom strength of 200 may be high for gilding and wood working, but not for glue grounds or painting.

How is the Bloom value or gel strength of animal glue measured? A water solution consisting of 6.67% glue is placed in a specified glass bottle, which is then placed in a chilled water bath and held at 10º C for 17 hours. After chilling, the rigidity of the gel is measured as the force, in grams, required to press a half-inch diameter plunger to a depth of 4 millimeters into the surface of the gel.

The rigidity or strength of the gel depends upon glue concentration, the intrinsic strength of the glue, pH, temperature, and the presence of any additives. The intrinsic strength of glue is a function of both structure and molecular mass.

The gel strength of edible and technical gelatins range from 50 to 300. Technical gelatins differ from edible and pharmaceutical gelatins principally in that it is not essential that they meet the rigid specifications for human consumption.

The gel strength of bone and hide glues tpyically range from 250 to 512. Glues are classified in the industry as Type A (porcine hide), Type A (bovine hide), and Type B from bone. ​

The overall properties of the ground is based on a number of factors—not only on the gel strength of the glue. The composition of the mineral filler, the organic binder concentration, and the water/calcium sulfate mixing ratio (in the case of gesso or gypsum), grounds with a wide range of mechanical properties can be obtained. Grounds with a high concentration of animal glue is not recommended because they could lead to a highly hygroscopic ground, which could undergo drastic dimensional changes and lose structural stability at high relative humidity (RH).

4. Rather than looking toward the source of the mammalian protein, artists should base their decision on the Bloom value of the glue and other properties of the ground as noted in the bold text above.

​As a note, modern gelatins and glues are more highly processed (denatured and degraded) than older glues. It has been noted that old glues contain small amounts of fatty acids (lipids) that can help to distinguish them in grounds and paintings.

A factor that often discourages artists from working with animal glue as a paint binder is the inconvenience of working with a warm solution. This can be overcome by allowing the solution to sit for a time and partially decompose. As an early medieval treatise stated, “after a few days it will stay liquid without heating. It may smell bad, but it will be very good”.​

You may find this article regarding the use of amimal glue in plasters useful: Kerstin Elert, Cristina Benavides-Reyes, and Carolina Cardell, "Effect of animal glue on mineralogy, strength and weathering resistance of calcium sulfate-based composite materials", Cement and Concrete Composites 96 (2019) 274–283.​

EditDelete

[2022-02-07 09:54:40]

​Thanks so much for this comprehensive answer - it's very helpful.  

The transition in the word “gesso" from denoting a gypsum + animal glue ground to its current status (any kind of ground - chalk or gypsum, mostly synthetic polymer-based) is a done deal, I believe (for better & worse); very few artists think of gesso in the traditional sense.  I appreciate this is problematic for those still using a traditional ground - i.e. what to call it?  I switch between the vague terms “true gesso" and “traditional gesso", or the mouthful “a chalk or gypsum plus animal glue ground".  None works as well as the original word, “gesso" - but the general populace no longer knows the original meaning, and it feels pointless to insist upon it.  So it goes, language evolves. (I realize not everyone agrees, as Mark Gottsegen's frustrations with the word “gesso" on the now defunct AMIEN forum made clear!)

I think it's more problematic when a term is still evolving and common usage is unsettled; i.e. artists don't realize “ivory blacks" are now from bone, or that many so-called “alizarin crimsons" are now quinacridones.  It's not merely a matter of semantics, it's about understanding materials; i.e. quinacridones have different properties – smaller particle size, higher tinting strength, purer chroma - from traditional alizarin.  This is how I think of glue nomenclature – the lack of settled usage means artists are confused or uninformed.  Even after much reading and study myself I remain, to a degree, uncertain as to what constitutes a good ground glue and what to call that glue.

So, with the understanding that the industry's terminology is messy, what is a simple but clear, complete definition for the best glue to use for gesso?  Would it be…

Use a hide glue (not bone), from any mammalian source (rabbit, pig, cow), with a high gel strength (minimum 300, but higher numbers are better).

Is that accurate?

I appreciate the point, George, that a good ground is dependent on more than just the glue; percentage of glue is very important (too much glue and the ground is, as you note, too hygroscopic; also, in my experience, too much glue makes a too hard, less receptive ground, prone to cracking) whereas too little glue results in a crumbly, friable ground.  Solids content matters too.  I wasn't aware of the water/calcium sulphate ratio topic – thanks for that article. 

Finally, I agree that having to work with a warm solution deters some artists from homemade gesso (although, in my experience, it's much more about the entire process – where to get ingredients, what ratios to use, multiple layers, etc.). But I'd like to counter the idea that letting a hydrated glue decompose, in order to keep it liquid without heat, is a practical solution.  First, in an age where everyone has countless gizmos I don't think it's much of a stretch to have an electric kettle or single electric burner in a studio.  Second, decomposition degrades/weakens a glue.  I once experimented with letting glue/gesso sit out, unrefrigerated, over the course of the several days it took to hydrate the glue, make gesso, then coat one side of a panel.  By the fourth day, when I went to coat the opposite side, there was a distinct smell of rot in the air.  When the gesso dried on that second side, it was slightly discolored in places, very flakey, delaminating (see photo attached).Rotten Gesso Image.jpeg  ​​I've also seen animal glue, when left out, grow mold fairly quickly.  Given these experiences, I always tell students to refrigerate hydrated glue and gesso.  For glue painting (distemper) it may not be as consequential, but for gesso I wouldn't feel confident working with a rotten glue.

As always, I'm grateful for your in depth replies, George.  There's ever more to learn and update, and the conversation continues. 

Koo Schadler

EditDelete

Moderator Answer (george o'hanlon)

[2022-02-07 12:35:58]

​High gel strength​ is likely desirable for glue grounds, as I call all grounds made with animal glue. Still, considerations may offset this recommendation, such as the viscosity of the resulting glue solution, which will affect the proportion of water to solid materials. All of these factors will influence the final mechanical properties of the ground. The optimum concentration of glue to filler, ratio of water, and gel strength would make an interesting study to determine the best formula for glue grounds.​

This is an excellent review of animal glue:

Nanke C. Schellmann (2007) "Animal glues: a review of their key properties relevant to conservation", Studies in Conservation, 52:sup1, 55-66, DOI:10.1179/sic.2007.52.Supplement-1.55​

EditDelete

[2022-02-08 15:15:20]

​​Thanks, George. Downloaded the article and already made a few changes to my book.   A study of ground glues would be really helpful - let's hope someone does it someday.  Koo

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Page Settings and MetaData:
(Not Shown on the Page)
Page Settings
MITRA
No
MetaData for Search Engine Optimization
MITRA Forum Question Details
restricted