Toggle Navigation

Open the Navigation Management window, which can be used to view the full current branch of the menu tree, and edit it.

CONNECT
InstagramFacebook

MITRA Forum Question Details

Image Picker for Section 0
Move Down

Move this whole section down, swapping places with the section below it.

Code Cleaner

Check for and fix problems in the body text. Text pasted in from other sources may contain malformed HTML which the code cleaner will remove.

Accordion is OFF

Accordion feature turned off, click to turn on.

Accordion is ON

Accordion featurd turned on, click to turn off.

Image Rendition

Change the way the image is cropped for this page layout.

Media Size

Cycle through size options for this image or video.

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Align the media panel to the right/left in this section.

Insert Image

Open the image pane in this body section. Click in the image pane to select an image from the image library.

Insert Video

Open the video pane in this body section. Click in the video pane to embed a video. Click ? for step-by-step instructions.

Remove Image

Remove the image from the media panel. This does not delete the image from the library.

Remove Video

Remove the video from the media panel.

​​​​​​​​​​​

Oil leached out from a passage onto surrounding underpaintingApproveRejectUn-ApproveSubscribeUn-Unsubscribe

Question asked 2021-12-15 14:41:53 ... Most recent comment 2021-12-23 01:53:38
Oil Paint

I am reposting my latest question since I now have a new issue, previously discussed under the thread about white-looking filmy rings of presumed impurities that were brought up by cleaning an in-progress painting with artist's rectified turpentine then wiping again with OMS to remove any turps residue. I have another strange issue with the same painting that I think must have also been caused by cleaning it with turps.

This happened as I painted a passage two weeks ago in the area I had previously wiped-down (long evaporated), which to recap was a mechanically-thin underpainting on acrylic dispersion primer. I'm using professional grade oils suspended in walnut oil, with a walnut oil/alkyd medium. The underpainting was done several years ago using a different brand of solvent-based alkyd medium, mixed 50/50 with OMS. In my second, current layer on this underpainting, I'm using a 60/40 fatter ratio, and in both layers, the paint is adulterated 20% with my medium mixtures. The substrate is high quality, stretched linen canvas, and if it makes a difference, my studio relative humidity percentage was really low when I last painted (in the mid to high 20s) with a temperature of 72F.

I've been working on this piece for several months with no issues until I wiped the lower part of the painting with the turpentine as I mentioned previously. It's a huge canvas, so I have to paint one manageable area at a time. What happened recently is the first time I've ever seen anything like this happen in the several decades that I've been painting in oil paints. I noticed after I had completed this particular passage that the walnut oil was leaching out in a thin ring around the edges, as one might see had it been placed on paper or a paper palette. It happened both onto the adjoining underpainting and the adjoining long-dry area with a second layer at 60/40 (the green grass in the attached photo). I knew it would be bad to leave a "bare" unpigmented oil edge like that, so the only thing I could think of to do was to wipe that oily edge off with my lint-free rag with OMS, then retouch the edges of the areas so they weren't inadvertently too lean. I kept having to work back and forth until it wasn't leaching out anymore. There were a couple of places where I was never able to reapply paint on the edge without it continuing to leach, but I was wiping very carefully, so I don't expect it to be too lean at the edge.

Unfortunately, when I returned to the studio this week, I discovered that the leaching may have continued in a few spots. It's hard to tell, since I do see a darker outline, but it doesn't look as shiny as the main passage. I know if I overpaint unpigmented oil that it could cause adhesion issues, but it I leave the areas that they can discolor over time, so I wondered about carefully sanding these edges? It's the only thing I can think of, so I welcome your expertise.

When I was painting this passage, I recall feeling that when the brushes went down, the surface had a different "drag" to it, an almost "squeaky" feeling, so I suspect that somehow, by using the turps, I disrupted the oil layer of the underpainting, though it is definitely not underbound. Would oiling out the next area before painting each new passage take care of this? I don't usually oil out as I work, and I know you have to paint over it lest it turn brown eventually if left bare. If this is the solution, I'm also wondering if this would be enough oil to affect my fat-over-lean ratio. Since it is difficult to always predict what organic shapes my textures will take in each segment of working on this huge canvas, I'm a little concerned about oiling out, unless it isn't as difficult to manage properly as I am thinking.

I don't yet know if the grass areas with the previously discussed subtle white filmy rings of impurities that also resulted from this turps application will behave in this same way. I really hope not! And just to dot the I and cross the T, did you think that I'd be able to overpaint those affected areas with highlights and shadows without those presumed impurities coming up to haunt me later?

So my three questions are: 1) how to continue painting the areas near the passage that leached oil to keep the leaching from happening again, 2) how to handle the now-dry areas of presumed oil outlines that look like they continued to leach from this passage after I left the studio, and 3) if I can overpaint the areas where white filmy impurities were brought up by turps.

I'm attaching a few photos of this oil leaching situation that were taken prior to my efforts to correct the situation. It looks like a darker gray pencil line of sorts. I haven't been able to find anything about this phenomenon, so I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help. This is a very large work for which I have received grants and have a deadline, so for both financial and time reasons, starting over isn't an option.

Many thanks!

Move Up

Move this whole section up, swapping places with the section above it.

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Check for and fix problems in the body text. Text pasted in from other sources may contain malformed HTML which the code cleaner will remove.

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Open the image pane in this body section. Click in the image pane to select an image from the image library.

Insert Video

Open the video pane in this body section. Click in the video pane to embed a video. Click ? for step-by-step instructions.

Remove Image

Remove the image from the media panel. This does not delete the image from the library.

Remove Video

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2021-12-15 14:54:42]

oil leaching example 1.jpg

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2021-12-15 14:55:20]

oil leaching example 2.jpg

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2021-12-15 14:55:59]

oil leaching example 3.jpg

EditDelete

Moderator Answer (brian baade)

[2021-12-15 22:44:53]

First, why wipe an acrylic dispersion underpainting down with Turp or OMS? Any residual components that you may want to remove would not be soluble in those solvents as they tend to be aqueous soluble. Second, why are you “wiping”? Unless the painting (acrylic or oil) has been left dormant for some time, I do not understand the reasoning for this. If the paint is still sensitive to solvents (young oil paint and read above about acrylic dispersion paints) you are disturbing the paint film, not making it more receptive to additional layers. Third, I think that you are worrying too much about fat over lean and are overcompensating. It is not essential that every layer be EXACTLY at the precise level of fatness.

There is essentially no way to practically do this anyway. As long as a slightly less bound layer of paint is going to be covered with a more appropriately bound or even slightly more substantially bound layer of paint, do not oil out. Please read through the threads about pigment vehicle concentration (PVC) here and on other useful sites like Golden Artists Colors and Natural Pigments.

I have no idea what “oil was leaching out in a ring” could possibly mean. Do you mean that there is absorption into the canvas? I would think not considering the amount of medium you add. Do you mean that there is a sort of crawling ring that radiates from the area? I find phenomena like that occur when the preceeding layer of paint is way too fat.

As above, try to avoid the practice of oiling out so much. Please read our sections on oiling out in our "resources section". Here is the truth of the matter, painters who just paint and do not micro-manage/obsess about tiny differences of “fat over lean” AND who do not add large amounts of fatty mediums to their paint are less likely to have these issues. This is not to say that it is not appropriate to logically think about layering. It is just that it appears that many painters (especially those that poured over R. Mayer’s tomes) seem to think that they need to add an over abundance of fatty media to each layer.

As to your pictures. I cannot really get a visual sense of what you are describing in prose. What I see are regions of very glossy paint layers sitting next to passages that are far less glossy/more lean. I cannot tell exactly from the images, but PERHAPS there is a transition where the oil from the fat paint saturates the perimeter of the more lean paint, saturating the color. This may not be true, I am stretching here.

As to how to proceed. I am unfortunately unable to completely identify either the problem, nor come up with a definable mechanism for the defect. This is really not something that is well suited to diagnose via photos. MITRA was not really intended as a place to send photos of painting defects where we could give simple remedial answers. It is not that we refuse such posts, it I just that this is difficult to do from a distance.

As to finishing the work, If you had been painting with paint neat from the tube and adding no or only tiny portions of additional media to subsequent layers, it would be simple to either just paint over with neat paint or add a tiny bit of addition medium for completion. This is, of course, overly simplistic, paintings are very often much more complicated than this. The issue that you are dealing with is that you have dealt with various areas of the work in such very different manners, and various sections have such different levels of gloss and absorption that you have set yourself up for complications.

However, this is not surmountable. First, stop wiping, this does nothing good. Second, finish the works in a relatively simple manner. If you need to fatten a paint layer add an amount of alkyd medium in the appropriate amount but without too much additional solvent AND do the manipulation using the brush and not the spreading effects of solvents. Because you are not adding solvents or only minimally you can use far less medium and there is less of a chance for any spreading.

I have to admit that I have only a basic understanding of the issue that you describe since your images were not sufficient to show me the exact problem. It is, therefore, possible that my interpretation is not on point.

Best

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2021-12-17 01:28:45]

Thank you for your time, Brian. It seems that in my efforts to be thorough and give you all the information, I became unclear in describing my issue.

Regarding my practice, fortunately I am already working as you described. I am well acquainted with the fat over lean information that you provided, though I appreciate the reminder that the process is a bit more forgiving than some sources would indicate. I use very little solvent, mechanically thinning my underpainting rather than overusing OMS. Also, rest assured that I haven't oiled out – it is not a part of my practice.

You asked, “First, why wipe an acrylic dispersion underpainting down with Turp or OMS?" and “Second, why are you “wiping"? Unless the painting (acrylic or oil) has been left dormant for some time, I do not understand the reasoning for this." To clarify, I don't underpaint with acrylics -- this is an oil painting with an oil underpainting, but the linen was first primed with an acrylic dispersion primer “gesso". I began the painting several years ago. It had been dormant for quite some time until I resumed work on it this year. It had also been through two studio moves. When I previously used distilled water to clean off a couple of spots last year, it only made a slight difference. OMS worked better, but it took artist's rectified turpentine to clean them off. I noticed a couple more spots recently, so I cleaned them with the turps, which unfortunately apparently brought up more impurities as detailed in my recent earlier post. This is definitely not a part of my usual practice.

To clarify the current issue, by the oil “leaching", perhaps I should have said “seeping." Your description, “Do you mean that there is a sort of crawling ring that radiates from the area?" is a good one. I've never seen anything like it, since the preceding layer was a lean, mechanically thinned underpainting. As this ring emerged, I wiped off the oil edges from my freshly applied passage as they gradually seeped out, because I am familiar with the potential pitfalls of applying straight oil medium -- via such practices such as oiling out or using an oil medium in lieu of a varnish -- thanks to such informational resources as you listed. I was concerned that such an oil ring would result in discoloration were I to leave it showing, or adhesion issues were I to overpaint (as I had been planning to eventually do in this area). In the photographs I provided, while the freshly applied passage in question is fatter, it is still wet, which is why it looks that shiny. I've been working on other similar areas of this work with the identical underpainting, pigment mixtures, and medium ratio for some time with no such issues. The only difference is that I recently cleaned the underpainting in this area as I described above.

You said: “I cannot tell exactly from the images, but PERHAPS there is a transition where the oil from the fat paint saturates the perimeter of the more lean paint, saturating the color." Yes, that is indeed what was happening. Unfortunately, in a few small areas, it does appear to have continued to seep again after I left the studio. These edges do not appear as shiny/fat as the painted passage, however, if that provides any additional clues.

I hope my issue is now clearer. If you are able to advise based on the information I have provided, I would very much appreciate your suggestions for how I should best proceed, both regarding how to keep such seeping from happening again while I work on nearby future passages, as well as what to do with the little oil edges that seeped back out in the initial trouble zone. If you think these edges are not problematic and I can overpaint with a slightly fatter layer as you described, that's great news.

Many thanks again.​

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2021-12-18 01:32:39]

​As a replying uncertain lurker.  Is it just oil medium separating from the surface or oil medium rich paint seeping.  

Is whatever that's seeping, doing so from under another layer, or directly from the top surface?

Marc.​​

EditDelete

Moderator Answer (brian baade)

[2021-12-18 22:17:39]

Thanks for the clarification. I hate to write this but I am just not sure that I can help explain the phenomenon via a screen. You are probably doing what you can be wiping away and superfluous oil before it sets. Beyond that I am not sure what I can write. It does sound anomalous given what you write and the fact that you have not encountered this before despite having used the same technique. Is there any chance that acrylic dispersion ground is of a poor quality and is repelling the paint/oil? This seems a stretch, but there are very poor quality pre-primed canvases that are inimical  to paint application. It is also super unlikely because such cheap grounds would be very unlikely to have been applied to a linen canvas. Sort of plating over gold with copper. I am stretching but I cannot think of anything else given what you have told us and viewing the images.

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2021-12-19 06:10:22]

Hi Brian and Marc,

Marc -- since it happened as I was painting a second layer on the dry, lean underpainting, it appears to have slowly seeped from the edges of the wet paint a few minutes after I completed the passage. It seemed to be coming from underneath the wet paint if that's what you mean, though I didn't apply my paint very thickly. Any thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated!

Brian -- this was a very high quality, single-primed Belgian linen (I find single primed to be easier to stretch than raw canvas), and then I applied several coats of an acrylic dispersion primer made by a respected manufacturer -- they do the Just Paint blog and newsletter than you recommended . So I don't think that's the culprit, though I don't know the source of the ground used by the manufacturer of the Belgian linen. However, since it only happened in the area where I cleaned with turps (and that same ill-fated cleaning is what brought up the impurities in the nearby green grass areas that we discussed in the other recent thread), I can only think that there is some connection, though it makes no sense to me. I plan to check with the manufacturers of my paint and the primer to see if they have any ideas -- the only other thing I could think of is a light sanding on the underpainting to increase the tooth, giving the oil medium of future passages a place to better "grip and settle into" -- does that sound reasonable?

My other thought was, regardless of what may have caused it, I now have a few edges of oil that seeped out after I thought I had saved the day by wiping off the initial oil seepage. What is to be done with those edges? Is it safe to overpaint, or should I consider very lightly sanding those existing dry, thin edges as well? (I have sanded before, though it is not a usual part of my practice. I do have a mask suitable for use with pastels that should be an appropriate safety precaution.)

If you think taking different photographs would help (closer details, or from an angle or with raking light, etc.) I'd be happy to provide them, though I certainly understand that it is more difficult to diagnose such a thing from photographs rather than seeing the actual painting.

I do appreciate your time and expertise, and welcome anyone else to weigh in if they have any ideas.

​All the best to you both. 

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2021-12-19 14:49:45]

So fresh oil is separating from under the freshly applied paint?

​Sounds like far too much added medium or poorly made paint to me.  Granted a glossly surface wouldn't help, but it wouldn't solely cause this.

I have seen this fresh dripping/seeping effect only once before, and they were using far too much oil medium. I didn't see them paint it, but they were clearly using too much.  They started with too much, and continued to keep adding layers of ever greater amounts. (yours is a mild case by comparision)  In the end their painting wouldn't even dry.

To begin with, I was wondering if it was a case of apparently dried paint reliquefying, (this has, if rarely, happened before with semi-drying oil bound paint with slow drying pigments sealed off from light and oxygen) but this doesn't seem to what has happened.

Marc.​​

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2021-12-23 01:53:38]

I appreciate your brainstorming, Marc, and I can certainly see why you would suggest too oily of a paint mixture as the cause. However, I am pretty meticulous with my ratios, and actually only use around a third of what the paint manufacturer lists as the maximum amount of alkyd/oil medium. I had also recently been using these exact same admixtures in a similar passage on the same underpainting, just in a different spot. It definitely seems to be a result of having cleaned this area with the turps, because this is the only region of the entire painting that is behaving differently, and that is the only differing factor.​

I applied my paint fairly thinly, so when I said that it appeared to be coming from underneath, it may have only been a trick of the eye due to the slight height difference from the top of the paint passage and the surrounding underpainting, and how the oil was seeping/slightly spreading from the paint.

If you have any other ideas, particularly with what I can do with the edges that seeped back out, I welcome them. 

All the best! 

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Page Settings and MetaData:
(Not Shown on the Page)
Page Settings
MITRA
No
MetaData for Search Engine Optimization
MITRA Forum Question Details
restricted