Toggle Navigation

Open the Navigation Management window, which can be used to view the full current branch of the menu tree, and edit it.

CONNECT
InstagramFacebook

MITRA Forum Question Details

Image Picker for Section 0
Move Down

Move this whole section down, swapping places with the section below it.

Code Cleaner

Check for and fix problems in the body text. Text pasted in from other sources may contain malformed HTML which the code cleaner will remove.

Accordion is OFF

Accordion feature turned off, click to turn on.

Accordion is ON

Accordion featurd turned on, click to turn off.

Image Rendition

Change the way the image is cropped for this page layout.

Media Size

Cycle through size options for this image or video.

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Align the media panel to the right/left in this section.

Insert Image

Open the image pane in this body section. Click in the image pane to select an image from the image library.

Insert Video

Open the video pane in this body section. Click in the video pane to embed a video. Click ? for step-by-step instructions.

Remove Image

Remove the image from the media panel. This does not delete the image from the library.

Remove Video

Remove the video from the media panel.

​​​​​​​​​​​

Artist's rectified turpentine caused white "rings" on my oil paintingApproveRejectUn-ApproveSubscribeUn-Unsubscribe

Question asked 2021-10-22 01:07:38 ... Most recent comment 2021-12-11 05:33:29
Oil Paint Solvents and Thinners

​Hi MITRA, 20211022_005347.jpg

I began a large oil on linen several years ago, and picked it back up again when I received grant funds to complete the project.

In a case of "what's done is done", since I'd had good luck in the past with cleaning spots/stains off of an in-progress painting with artist's recified turpentine then cleaning off any potential residue with OMS, that was the approach I took earlier this week on one area of this painting. As soon as the solvents dried, I saw a faint white residue that was comprised of many whitish "rings." I had used a freshly-laundered rag that had previously been used for oil painting, so I came back in with another treatment of OMS and a new clean rag, thinking that perhaps a thin veneer of oil that made it through the laundering process had been deposited by the rag. It got a little better (and when the surface was wet with OMS it looked fine), but once the OMS dried, the rings were still there. It kind of looks like a patterned version of sinking in. I wondered if something migrated up, or if I disturbed the binder too much, etc when I cleaned the surface with the turps? 

I use a high-quality paint with a walnut oil binder, so there shouldn't be any impurities in the paint itself. I also follow the fat-over-lean rules, and never adulterate my paint more than 20%. I had started this work with a solvent-based alkyd oil medium, then switched to the walnut alkyd oil medium, though the affected area is comprised of just a couple of layers with the original medium. I do plan to overpaint, though I had been planning to just add highlights and shadows to this region rather than overpaint the entire area -- though if that's what I need to now do, I will. I'm also wondering if varnishing later will take care of it?

I've attached a photograph for your reference. It looks like the whitish shapes settled into texture made by the hand-applied acrylic dispersion primer "gesso", because the paint layers themselves are fairly smooth and applied mechanically thin. (Incidentally, this surface texture is only visible by zooming in on the photo -- it isn't apparent to the naked eye or touch -- and it seems like if the turps bit into the paint layer enough to create the texture, that it would either have revealed the underpainting or the white primer.)

This particular painting is part of a larger project for which I have a deadline. It is a very large canvas, so for both monetary and time reasons, starting over isn't an option. I definitely hope that you won't think it is necessary. 

Thanks in advance for your help and advice. I do hope you'll have good news for me and that this won't cause any adhesion problems down the road. Fingers crossed that it is easily remedied.

Move Up

Move this whole section up, swapping places with the section above it.

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Check for and fix problems in the body text. Text pasted in from other sources may contain malformed HTML which the code cleaner will remove.

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Open the image pane in this body section. Click in the image pane to select an image from the image library.

Insert Video

Open the video pane in this body section. Click in the video pane to embed a video. Click ? for step-by-step instructions.

Remove Image

Remove the image from the media panel. This does not delete the image from the library.

Remove Video

EditDelete

Moderator Answer (brian baade)

[2021-10-22 22:38:53]

The photos do not really show enough to really give me sense of what is being deposited and causing a ring. Obviously, the solvents dissolved something, and it accumulated at the edge of the drying zone to create a bit of a ring. This is not really that obvious in your images, but we take you at your word.

Here is my general criteria when dealing with surface issues before eventual varnishing: In general, and this is, of course an over simplification, if you are going to apply a significant varnish, meaning that it will substantially change the surface gloss, the final appearance will be very similar, but slightly less glossy, than the appearance of the same surface when flooded with odorless mineral spirits. Please do no sue me it you notice small differences but whetting up with a very low polarity solvent is one of the ways in which we as painting conservators ascertain how our painting conservation treatment will eventually look before we apply the final varnish.

EditDelete

[2021-10-22 22:46:37]

As an aside, there are many possible materials in even “quality” paints that could be picked up and be mobile to create possible rings. Stabilizers and waxes could certainly be dissolved and then migrate to tide line air interfaces. Unbound fatty acids could do so as well. Organic materials are unruly beasts 😉

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2021-11-11 01:39:59]

​Many thanks for your replies, Brian -- I appreciate your patience with my response as I got quite busy there for awhile and didn't have time to follow up until now.

The "situation" was indeed difficult to photograph. Essentially, once the turp evaporated that I had used to clean the surface, it looked like I had applied an extrememly thin, dull white glaze with my rag. 

It sounds as though eventual varnishing will mitigate this milky appearance wherever I am not overpainting. I just wanted to check that overpainting wouldn't be an issue here, since I do need to apply the final highlights and shadow layers to this passage of midtone colors. 

Also, another issue I have is that a very small area that essentially ended up being rather accidentally sanded as I tried to remove a small, stray glob of paint that had fallen when I was working on the top portion of the canvas, but I didn't realize it until it dried. I might have left it but I knew it was violating fat over lean. I assume I can just paint over this area without issue, following the fat over lean rules regarding the surrounding layers? I'd say it's maybe half to 2/3 the size of a US dime, so in the grand scheme of this large canvas, it's an extremely small spot. I know some artists sand layers as a routine part of their practice -- the airborne pigments are likely the main concern there, right?​

EditDelete

[2021-11-11 21:09:45]

This does not sound like a major issue to me. Likely, you will be fine. Yes, the issue with sanding is more about making possibly toxic particles airborne. This can be dealt with by carefully wet sanding using a small amount of mineral spirits or even water if the painting can take that. The other possible problem with sanding is that if done carelessly or too rigorously, one could inadvertently remove too much surface and create a damaged texture or a too smooth spot. Sanding is even more problematic with glazed and indirectly painted imagery, but that is probably obvious to all.

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2021-12-11 05:29:55]

20211203_084624.jpg20211203_084639.jpg

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2021-12-11 05:31:21]

20211203_084713.jpg

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2021-12-11 05:33:29]

Thanks, Brian. Now I have another strange issue with the same painting that I think must have also been caused by wiping it with artist's rectified turpentine when I was cleaning it, then wiping again with OMS to remove any turps residue as I previously described.

This happened as I painted a passage last week in the area I had previously wiped-down (long evaporated), which to recap was a mechanically-thin underpainting on acrylic dispersion primer. I'm using professional grade oils suspended in walnut oil, with a walnut oil/alkyd medium. The underpainting was done several years ago using a different brand of solvent-based alkyd medium, mixed 50/50 with OMS. In my second, current layers on this underpainting, I'm using a 60/40 fatter ratio, and in both layers, the paint is adulterated 20% with my medium mixuture. The substrate is high quality, stretched linen canvas, and if it makes a difference, my studio relative humidity percentage is really low right now (like in the mid to high 20s).

I've been working on this piece for several months with no issues until I wiped the lower part of the painting with the turpentine as I mentioned previously. It's a huge canvas, so I have to paint one managable area at a time. What happened recently is the first time I've ever seen anything like this happen in the several decades that I've been painting in oil paints. I noticed after I had completed this particular passage that the walnut oil was leaching out in a thin ring around the edges, as one might see had it been placed on paper or a paper palette. It happened both onto the adjoining underpainting and the adjoining long-dry area with a second layer at 60/40 (the green grass in the attached photo). I knew it would be bad to leave a "bare" unpigmented oil edge like that, so the only thing I could think of to do was to wipe that oily edge off with my lint-free rag with OMS, then retouch the edges of the areas so they weren't inadvertantly too lean. I kept having to work back and forth until it wasn't leaching out anymore. There were a couple of places where I was never able to reapply paint on the edge without it continuing to leach, but I was wiping very carefully, so I don't expect it to be too lean at the edge.

I recall feeling that when the brushes went down, the surface had a different "drag" to it, an almost "squeaky" feeling, so I suspect that somehow, by using the turps, I disrupted the oil layer of the underpainting, though it is not underbound. Would oiling oil the next area before painting each new passage take care of this? I don't usually oil out as I work, and I know you have to paint over it lest it turn brown eventually if left bare. If this is the solution, I'm also wondering if this would be enough oil to affect my fat-over-lean ratio. Since it is difficult to always predict what organic shapes my textures will take in each segment of working on this huge canvas, I'm a little concerned about oiling out, unless it isn't as difficult to manage properly as I am thinking.

I don't yet know if the grass areas with the subtle white filmy rings look that also resulted from this turps application will behave in this same way. I really hope not! And just to dot the I and cross the T, did you think that I'd be able to overpaint those affected areas with highlights and shadows without those presumed impurities coming up to haunt me later?

I'm attaching a few photos of this oil leaching situation. It will look like a darker gray pencil line of sorts. I haven't been able to find anything about this phenomenon, so I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help. I haven't been back to the studio since this happened, so I hope I don't find out that it leached more after I left, as it will now be dry. 

Many thanks! (It looks like this post was initially wiped out by the photos I just attached, so thank you for your patience if it gets duplicated.)

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Page Settings and MetaData:
(Not Shown on the Page)
Page Settings
MITRA
No
MetaData for Search Engine Optimization
MITRA Forum Question Details
restricted