Toggle Navigation

Open the Navigation Management window, which can be used to view the full current branch of the menu tree, and edit it.

CONNECT
InstagramFacebook

MITRA Forum Question Details

Image Picker for Section 0
Move Down

Move this whole section down, swapping places with the section below it.

Code Cleaner

Check for and fix problems in the body text. Text pasted in from other sources may contain malformed HTML which the code cleaner will remove.

Accordion is OFF

Accordion feature turned off, click to turn on.

Accordion is ON

Accordion featurd turned on, click to turn off.

Image Rendition

Change the way the image is cropped for this page layout.

Media Size

Cycle through size options for this image or video.

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Align the media panel to the right/left in this section.

Insert Image

Open the image pane in this body section. Click in the image pane to select an image from the image library.

Insert Video

Open the video pane in this body section. Click in the video pane to embed a video. Click ? for step-by-step instructions.

Remove Image

Remove the image from the media panel. This does not delete the image from the library.

Remove Video

Remove the video from the media panel.

​​​​​​​​​​​

Standoil film breaks to aglomerattesApproveRejectUn-ApproveSubscribeUn-Unsubscribe

Question asked 2021-09-02 14:54:12 ... Most recent comment 2021-09-08 15:32:55
Drying Oils Oil Paint Paint Mediums

​Dear all,

I painted in multiple oil glazes, first linseed oil and pigment followed by last two or three layers of stand oil and pigment. ​

Stand oil is linseed heated without oxigene and I mix binder and dry pigments prior to painting

The problem happens when I aplly second or third layer of stand oil and pigment, the paint film once brushed equally in few minutes breaks down to aglomerate. It looks like one spills water on horizontal flat surface and then water shrinks to unregular pattern of small shapes. 

It happened when I add solvent and without it.

Why this happens and what could I do to avoid it?

Kind Regards,

Damir P.

Move Up

Move this whole section up, swapping places with the section above it.

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Check for and fix problems in the body text. Text pasted in from other sources may contain malformed HTML which the code cleaner will remove.

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Open the image pane in this body section. Click in the image pane to select an image from the image library.

Insert Video

Open the video pane in this body section. Click in the video pane to embed a video. Click ? for step-by-step instructions.

Remove Image

Remove the image from the media panel. This does not delete the image from the library.

Remove Video

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2021-09-04 18:52:51]

​So as I understand it, you're making your own paint.  The first paint layer is made with some form of standard linseed and the following layers, paint made with stand oil only?

Stand oil is not generally considered suitable as a sole binder for oil paints and I imagine this is one of the effects of using it in this fashion.  The dry surface of your paint is probably too glassy and fat to resist the​​​ aglomeration movements of the following layers you place down.  

Marc.​​

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2021-09-06 12:18:01]

Marc,

You understood me.

I can't remember I ever read not to use stand oil as sole binder explicitly, but now it seems logical. It levels brushstrokes thus surface looses tooth for subsequent layers. In future I'll mix stand oil with regular linseed oil.

Thanks for clarification,

Damir P.​

EditDelete

Moderator Answer (brian baade)

[2021-09-07 11:43:21]

Welcome back everyone. I am so sorry that we have had such a long time upgrading the system. As was stated, the problem here is that the paint has become so slick and overly fat that subsequent layers are reticulating. It is always best to avoid crating such overly slick surfaces. Straight unthinned stand oil is too slick and fat to be used as the sole binder, especially if your are painting in layers. Stand oil would need to be substantially thinned with a solvent if used as the sole binder. I remember a colleague that I knew painted very slick oils on copper and she had real difficulty varnishing them because the varnish would reticulate as she was applying it. You may need to rough the surface up a bit if you need to apply additional paint layers. Perhaps use a slurry of calcium carbonate in water and use a swirling motion using a cotton swab. You could also try a very fine sandpaper 800-1000 grit or higher and very carefully roughen the surface. Test this gently as it could easily damage your imagery.

EditDelete

[2021-09-07 11:48:43]

When you write "It happened when I add solvent and without it." I am assuming that you mean thinned after the stand oil paint was prepared. Thinning the paint after it was made does not change the pigment binder ration. The resultant paint still has the superabundance of binder as compared to pigment. However if you prepared a paint by mixing your pigment with a binder composed of (eg 2-3 parts mineral spirits to one part stand oil) the amount of binder compared to pigment would be diminished.

Having written the above, whu use stand oil as the binder in the first place? What are you trying to achieve?

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2021-09-08 15:15:25]

First I want to thanks to all people involved in running MITRA Art Forum. For me this forum is unique way to not only make easel paintings I wish, but to feel "up to date" as a part of this society.

Yes, I added solvent after stand oil paint is prepared. I didn't know about pre-thinning oil would make different binder to pigment ratio in paint.

Why I used stand oil as sole binder?

There were two reasons;

1. To keep last paint layers which I reserved for Zinc white flexible, due to Zinc Oxide notorious behavior.

2. To achieve bigger contrast between shiny and matte surface areas in painting composition. Areas with stand oil work great as shine, and matte ones were painted with opaque pigments and coarser chalk filler at more CPVC's. This layers are not atop each others they are adjacent.

What could I do to solve this two goals?

Once the painting is finished I guess I could use HMW varnish to function as protective layer, of course due to shiny vs matte contrasts in painting composition I guess I should use varnish in middle between matte and shine to impact this minimally.

Damir P.

EditDelete

[2021-09-08 15:32:55]

Keep in mind that oil paint made from grinding pigments into oil that has been thinned with a solvent will not store well or at all. If you really want to have a paint bound solely in stand oil that is not too fat you will need to make it up as you use it.

This is one of the reasons why I asked what you hoped to affect but this binder. One could use a very leanly bound linseed oil bound paint and add just enough stand oil (or better a mixture of stand oil and solvent) to the paint to achieve a leveling quality. In the past, I have absorbed some of my linseed oil binder out of paint (on butcher paper) and them replaced that with a very small amount of a thickened oil for certain effects.

Again, everything depends on what you are trying to achieve and the better ways of achieving that effect.

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Page Settings and MetaData:
(Not Shown on the Page)
Page Settings
MITRA
No
MetaData for Search Engine Optimization
MITRA Forum Question Details
restricted