Toggle Navigation

Open the Navigation Management window, which can be used to view the full current branch of the menu tree, and edit it.

CONNECT
InstagramFacebook

MITRA Forum Question Details

Image Picker for Section 0
Move Down

Move this whole section down, swapping places with the section below it.

Code Cleaner

Check for and fix problems in the body text. Text pasted in from other sources may contain malformed HTML which the code cleaner will remove.

Accordion is OFF

Accordion feature turned off, click to turn on.

Accordion is ON

Accordion featurd turned on, click to turn off.

Image Rendition

Change the way the image is cropped for this page layout.

Media Size

Cycle through size options for this image or video.

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Align the media panel to the right/left in this section.

Insert Image

Open the image pane in this body section. Click in the image pane to select an image from the image library.

Insert Video

Open the video pane in this body section. Click in the video pane to embed a video. Click ? for step-by-step instructions.

Remove Image

Remove the image from the media panel. This does not delete the image from the library.

Remove Video

Remove the video from the media panel.

​​​​​​​​​​​

An oil-based primer that dries quickly and doesn't yellowApproveRejectUn-ApproveSubscribeUn-Unsubscribe

Question asked 2021-07-12 09:02:13 ... Most recent comment 2022-04-05 11:10:41
Oil Paint

​Hello.

I have come across an Austrailian brand of oil primer that appears to utilise water-miscable linseed oil because it is dilutable with water. It is fast-drying so that you can apply two coats in one day and paint in oils on the following day, possibly because of alkyd resin content. But since it contains linseed oil I don't understand how it can be applied as they say, with no size. They say this oil primer can be applied directly to the canvas. They also say it doesn't yellow.

Does anyone have any ideas about this?

Move Up

Move this whole section up, swapping places with the section above it.

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Check for and fix problems in the body text. Text pasted in from other sources may contain malformed HTML which the code cleaner will remove.

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Open the image pane in this body section. Click in the image pane to select an image from the image library.

Insert Video

Open the video pane in this body section. Click in the video pane to embed a video. Click ? for step-by-step instructions.

Remove Image

Remove the image from the media panel. This does not delete the image from the library.

Remove Video

EditDelete

Moderator Answer (brian baade)

[2021-07-12 14:52:17]

I have forwarded this to a couple of relavant moderators​

EditDelete

Moderator Answer (george o'hanlon)

[2021-07-12 15:44:58]

Water-miscible alkyds have been available for several decades, so it is possible that an artist materials manufacturer has produced a primer using a water-miscible alkyd. Alkyds are resins derived from vegetable oils or fatty acids of vegetable oil. In a few cases they are made from linseed oil and may also contain a percentage of linseed oil. These can be made to dry quickly because they may use driers that are compatible with both water and solventborne systems.

All alkyds and vegetable oils yellow so it is unlikely that it is completely non-yellowing. Waterborne alkyd compositions may yellow less than pure linseed oil  systems, neveertheless they yellow.

How effective are these types of primers no one knows at present because long term aging studies have not been condicted on these products.

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2021-07-19 08:42:09]

Thank you George O'Hanlon. They say it contains linseed oil so I don't understand how it can be applied to raw canvas without a size. Do you know how that might be possible? ​

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2021-07-19 08:47:47]

I have a follow up question please-

Is an alkyd resin in contact with the surface detrimental to the longevity of cellusose, the same as a drying oil? And also are all drying oils as detrimental as each other to canvas and paper or is linseed oil worse for some reason? How detrimental are they, if paint covers the entire front so there are no unsightly rings of oil, and there is still enough oil to act as a good binder on the front, if oil seeps through does the back darken and become brittle over time to a slight degree or a huge degree?​

EditDelete

Moderator Answer (brian baade)

[2021-07-19 23:06:34]

In theory, all acidic environments (aqueous and non-aqueous) would be detrimental to some degree to cellulose. Alkyd resins are created by modifying polyester resins with fatty acids. Fatty acids are the culprit in the deterioration of cellulosics when one speaks of oil in fabric substrates. I am not sure that anyone has really worked out the time necessary for the deterioration of cellulosics in a fatty acid environment. Likely, it is not best practice and problematic, but probably less disastrous than often related. The resultant unappealing and unsightly greasy suffusion, and likely, oil-stained ring, are probably more problematic in the short term.

I would guess that a stiff and undiluted oil pint, freely but thinly applied, in a broken and not continuous manner, to a well sized 300 lb cold pressed or rough watercolor paper that is later sensibly mounted and framed would fare well. I know, that is a lot of caveats. It is hard to judge all of the possible permutations from this side of the laptop 😉 

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2021-07-23 18:06:38]

​The acid levels of different linseed oils or other oils completely, would make a difference as well.  Always bad, but different degrees of bad.​

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2021-07-23 18:10:22]

Sorry forgot to sign that comment 'Marc'

Unsigned user comments must get a little confusing at times.​​

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2022-04-03 20:43:16]

​​Follow up question, if it's not too late. 

I've tried the primer the OP is asking about. It's an acrylic resin with 4% linseed oil added. Very reminiscent of an exterior emulsion primer, dries very fast, stays fairly soft. ( It is meant to harden over time, at the same rate as oil paint ).

My uneducated guess is, that's what it is - an acrylic emulsion primer, with some linseed in it, made for artists. I wish I kept the practice pieces I used it on from six years ago. It's impossible to find any information online regarding tests or reviews or other artists' experiences with it.

My question is : is there anything about the idea of this kind of primer, in principle, that raises any red flags? The company that makes it admits the primer is "chemically complex", but at least the stuff is made with artists in mind, unlike housepaint. When I had a tin, I was too sceptical to use it on anything important. However at the moment, there's a dearth of options on art store shelves, and I'm reconsidering. 

Any speculation from the good people here would be welcomed as better informed than mine.

​

EditDelete

Moderator Answer (mirjam hintz)

[2022-04-04 06:38:08]

Could you share the product name and/or website? I have read a number of reports of artists who mix their oils with acrylic emulsion paints in their painting practice with success for years and centuries. Even though this is totally experimental these mixtures seem to hold up well. I doubt however, that an acrylic emulsion with 4% linseed oil will harden at the same rate as pure oil paint and IF that were the case, whether that would actually be beneficial to the overall aging process of the oil painting. A survey of modern paintings at the Tate from 2008 had shown that oil paintings on acrylic emulsion grounds had overall fared better than oil paintings on oil grounds. ​​

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2022-04-04 08:44:54]

Hi Miriam,

It's from an Australian company called Art Spectrum :

https://artspectrum.com.au/products/oil-prime/

The description of the primer on the company website is a bit more terse than I remember it. These are product descriptions from a couple of Australian art stores :

"Oil Prime is a unique oil/acrylic resin blend. The 4 percent Linseed Oil content allows artists oil colours to crosslink for maximum adhesion...Clean up and thin with water. Suitable for canvas, hardboard and masonry (interior walls)."

"Art Spectrum® Oil Prime contains pure Linseed Oil that cross-links with artists’ oil colours for permanent adhesion and maximum flexibility over time...The oil content allows it to harden very gradually, in pace with the oil paints minimising stress cracking...this warm white primer requires no glue size barrier layer and may be used directly from the can. Dries in just one hour and may be double primed in just 12 hours all the while maintaining flexibility".

I think that covers the product features. Anyway, I would love to hear your thoughts - if this is a good idea, a reasonable risk, or a likely disaster!​

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2022-04-04 20:47:41]

I apologise - I should say Mirjam. I misread.​

EditDelete

Moderator Answer (mirjam hintz)

[2022-04-05 09:59:16]

​No problem ;) As Brian already suggested it might be a good idea to size the canvas, even though the manufacturer says it's not necessary. The product seems interesting and in all likelyhood is fine to use.​​

ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2022-04-05 11:10:41]

​Awesome, thanks Mirjam. I'll give it another try and see how it goes - fingers crossed. :)​​

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Page Settings and MetaData:
(Not Shown on the Page)
Page Settings
MITRA
No
MetaData for Search Engine Optimization
MITRA Forum Question Details
restricted