Toggle Navigation

Open the Navigation Management window, which can be used to view the full current branch of the menu tree, and edit it.

CONNECT
InstagramFacebook

MITRA Forum Question Details

Image Picker for Section 0
Move Down

Move this whole section down, swapping places with the section below it.

Code Cleaner

Check for and fix problems in the body text. Text pasted in from other sources may contain malformed HTML which the code cleaner will remove.

Accordion is OFF

Accordion feature turned off, click to turn on.

Accordion is ON

Accordion featurd turned on, click to turn off.

Image Rendition

Change the way the image is cropped for this page layout.

Media Size

Cycle through size options for this image or video.

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Align the media panel to the right/left in this section.

Insert Image

Open the image pane in this body section. Click in the image pane to select an image from the image library.

Insert Video

Open the video pane in this body section. Click in the video pane to embed a video. Click ? for step-by-step instructions.

Remove Image

Remove the image from the media panel. This does not delete the image from the library.

Remove Video

Remove the video from the media panel.

​​​​​​​​​​​

Drawing StorageApproveRejectUn-ApproveSubscribeUn-Unsubscribe

Question asked 2017-01-09 16:55:26 ... Most recent comment 2017-01-09 17:13:00
Drawing Materials Storage
I have a growing stack of drawings on paper in graphite, charcoal, conte.   Is it really necessary to  interleaf the drawings? And is Tyvek the best material for these types of media? If you're on the site it says glassine is not good for long-term storage and mylar has electro static charge so I'm just wondering how I can store my drawings. Thanks.
Move Up

Move this whole section up, swapping places with the section above it.

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Check for and fix problems in the body text. Text pasted in from other sources may contain malformed HTML which the code cleaner will remove.

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Open the image pane in this body section. Click in the image pane to select an image from the image library.

Insert Video

Open the video pane in this body section. Click in the video pane to embed a video. Click ? for step-by-step instructions.

Remove Image

Remove the image from the media panel. This does not delete the image from the library.

Remove Video

EditDelete

Moderator Answer (Marcus, Gillian)

[2017-01-09 18:08:00]
Hi there, this is a great question. Before I answer, it would be helpful to know a few more details. Have you used fixative on these drawings? How are they currently stored? Thanks!
ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2017-01-09 18:22:28]
No fixative, they are just stored flat on top of each other. They are also mostly small, between 7x11" and 11x14". My drawing board is usually an acid free foam board, and I figured if there's not much shuffling, then the paper the drawing is on being covered by the same kind of paper wouldn't pose much of an issue, at least not for a few months to a year or two as I try to get them sold. I am just struggling now, but want to care for my work, and don't have lots of money to invest in flat files etc. I'm not necessarily trying to preserve a collection for posterity, but care for drawings pre-sale or exhibition, and would like it to be kind of cost effective and low space. Thanks.
EditDelete

[2017-01-09 20:15:42]
You're right to want to start taking care of your drawings, even if you feel you don't have the budget. Ideally, drawings with friable media (such as charcoal) should be stored framed, or matted and in flat files. But as you've indicated that none of these options are possible at the moment, there are other things you can do in the meantime which are *not* ideal but are a lot better than the current storage situation. You definitely do not want the drawings stacked on top of one another with no interleaving if at all possible, because that will lead to smearing, displacement of media, and transfer onto other drawings. 1) Glassine may be used for very temporary storage - a few months at most. The smooth surface helps to prevent friction. However, this material does degrade fairly quickly and would need to be replaced regularly. 2) Acid-free, buffered tissue paper can be used to cover the drawings, but it should be laid very gently across and care must be taken to avoid moving the tissue paper across the surface of the drawings, as even the tiniest amount of friction can displace and smear the charcoal. 3) Another option - one which would require a bit more space - would be to "build" a temporary shelving unit for the drawings. This would involve getting stiff, acid-free board from an art supply shop (the more rigid, the better) and placing stable, heavy objects a few inches high at each of the four corners (such as flat iron weights or blocks) before placing another layer of rigid board on top, and so on. In this way you build a sort of rack on which to store the drawings so that they are not on top of one another and nothing is touching the surface, but they're still protected. I haven't used this method for storage before, but it is sometimes used for emergency storage of objects which need to dry after a flood. I hope this helps. Let me know if anything needs to be clarified or expanded upon further. Good luck!
EditDelete

[2017-01-09 21:03:17]
Also, to add - the storage "shelving" I've described should only be used temporarily, and not long-term.
ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2017-01-10 09:55:11]
Thank you for your response. So you're saying the main issue with stacking drawings with no interleaving is mechanical damage? Is there an increased risk of acid transferring between sheets? I always thought of it like pages in a book. If I'm careful then I haven't seen any smearing or anything. An intermediate sheet just feels like it has an extra potential to move around. I guess I don't understand how paper deteriorates. My drawing papers are always archival 100% cotton, acid/lignin free. So my feeling was that material on top of another drawing was ok. So I don't know.
EditDelete

Moderator Answer (Kristin deGhetaldi)

[2017-01-10 10:06:07]
If this is just temporary storage, "acid burn" is not a huge concern (unless you are attempting to use very poor quality paper in your storage like newspaper which it sounds like you are staying away from anyhow). But yes, mechanical damage is the main concern here. I think if you follow some of the suggestions posed by Gillian you should be alright especially as this is only for temporary storage. The key here is the TYPE of interleave that you use...you want something that actually repels electrostatic charge even if there is a bit of movement. Ideally you do not want to directly stack but if you do I would use the materials suggested by Gillian. Even though you have not seen any damage yet with direct stacking does not mean that there is not potential for future damage. The interleaf materials are simply an extra precaution before your drawings are ready to be exhibited and sold.
EditDelete

[2017-01-10 10:31:17]
As Kristin said, the concern here isn't with the acidity of the drawing paper, more the mechanical "smearing" or displacement of the media - the graphite, conte, and charcoal. As long as you replace the glassine a couple times a year (or even yearly, at a stretch), you can use it as interleaving. It's just another layer of protection for delicate media.
ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2017-01-10 12:03:38]
If I was using some of the buffered tissue paper is that longer lasting? At least a few years before replacing?
EditDelete

Moderator Answer (Kristin deGhetaldi)

[2017-01-10 12:22:42]
I am copying and pasting Gillian's response about tissue paper from above: Acid-free, buffered tissue paper can be used to cover the drawings, but it should be laid very gently across and care must be taken to avoid moving the tissue paper across the surface of the drawings, as even the tiniest amount of friction can displace and smear the charcoal.
ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2017-01-10 12:39:08]
(And yes - the buffered tissue paper will last longer!)
ApproveRejectUn-Approve

User Comment

[2017-01-10 13:00:19]
Thank you guys. Really appreciate it.
Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Image Rendition

Media Size

Original
50%
66%
100%
Fixed Portrait 1
Fixed Portrait 2
Cancel
Media Right/Left-Align

Insert Image

Insert Video

Remove Image

Remove Video

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Move Down

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Move Up

Code Cleaner

Accordion is OFF

Accordion is ON

Media Right/Left-Align

Page Settings and MetaData:
(Not Shown on the Page)
Page Settings
MITRA
No
MetaData for Search Engine Optimization
MITRA Forum Question Details
restricted
The Department of Art Conservation
303 Old College
University of Delaware
Newark, DE 19716, USA